Crystal Palace v Derby County

Day

Fair enough Palace have two or three quality players, but how many of our current squad would you regard "quality" - which featured in the starting eleven today?

Bryson? Brayford? Hughes? Keogh....? Those aren't quality players then? And experienced? means sod all if your a good enough player. I regard Roberts, Keogh, Buxton to be experienced enough, but doesn't stop them shipping in 3 goals does it?

Look at Palaces bench today, made up of two ex Rams nobody rated and the rest are hasbeens like Garvan and Wilbraham.

This league is really not that great in terms of quality and I honestly cannot see why we couldn't have gone there today with a bit of ambition to win the game. I mean [size=5]four[/size] defenders on the bench? What the duck...?

Keogh is good to OK. Hughes is quality but still lightweight and not a game changer against better sides.

Apart from you, very few people expected us to go out and win this one.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton 2-0 Rams

P'Boro 3-0 Rams

Millwall 2-1 Rams

Palace 3-0 Rams

Don't talk to me about Play Offs. Every year we drop points to average sides like ourselves. 8/10 away performance lack adventure, control and composure.

Palace are top

Millwall 8 unbeaten

P'Boro on good run.

I'm not bloody bothered. It'd be just nice if we actually troubled their goal keepers.

"ooh Sammon should of scored" etc. Yes, he should. With that rare bloody chance.

Every year.

Palace aren't that good. Millwall are pretty poor. P'Boro are poor and Bolton we poor too when we played them. We made hard work of a terrible Ipswich Town.

Don't talk about play offs. You have an away leg in the Play Offs anyway. God help us if we went there 1-0 up from Pride Park.

I'm pi55ed off tonight.

Having sacrificed attacking threat to contain palace by having five in the midfield, we played some good football at times but were absolutely bloody useless in the last third, be it crossing, passing or shooting, not that there was any of the latter.

The second goal killed us and came at a time when we had started the second half really well and were on top.

The fact it then took the manager another 10 minutes to make a substitution, and then to put on a striker and take off a striker, was flabbergasting and was the thing that annoyed me the most today.

Sammon was terrible, Hendrick even worse, and in all three goals poor defending was a contributory factor, especially the first two.

Jacobs looked lively in patches but left Roberts far too exposed against their pacy wingers, and Hughes tried to use the ball intelligently.

Palace fans will think it was a straightforward home win against a very average side, and to an extent they are right. Something inside me though thinks we could have got something from that game because they weren't that good, it's just we wasted possession and wasted any good position we got ourselves in.

It was pathetic today, 5 in midfield and we still got swamped and kept giving the ball away needlessly. Palace were ordinary and we gifted them the goals. Sammon was poor today, very poor. Theo and Tyson thrown on far too late.

Even more depressing the Palace PA and fans were celebrating a bumper 16k odd attendance.

We really are poor away from home.

Just not good enough........

Have to agree with VulcanRam. Palace were definitely the better side, but I felt that 3-0 was a little harsh on us. We played some good stuff at times, and had we scored in the first ten minutes of the second half, it could have set the rest of the half up nicely for us. Unfortunately once again, we fell far short in the final third away from home. Sammon was crap, he stopped almost every attacking move dead by giving the ball away or just running into a crowd of Palace defenders. If we'd brought Theo or Tyson on with half an hour to go, we could have threatened more, but the damage had been done by the time they came on. Hendrick was rubbish too, Bryson was the workhouse that Bryson always is, Hughes was impressive, Coutts did nothing until the second half then got more involved, and Jacobs threatened by running at their defence but seemed to take one touch too many and then ended up running into trouble. The goals were through defensive mistakes, which need to be addressed.

The thing with Palace is, on paper their squad appears to be as average as most sides in this division, and on our day are beatable. It's just that 6 or 7 of their first teamers are playing out of their skin at the moment, and they have a togetherness and unity that is annihilating opponents, so even when Zaha is marked out of the game, they still have Murray, Dikacoi, Jedinak and Bolasie to wreck the damage. It is arguable, however, that if the game was played at Pride Park, we could easily have won it (note the use of 'could have', before you call me out on it). There are three things that Palace have atm that we don't:

1. That bit of extra quality- they had Jedinak and Murray, we had Hendrick and Sammon. The former two dictated the play and were clinical in attack, the latter two couldn't string two passes together and kept giving the ball away today. If we had two more players in the mould of Jedinak and Murray, we'd be much better off than we are now.

2. Consistency- but then, that's been a problem for a while now.

3. The fact that they've nailed their away form- I believe that how well we do this season will be judged on how many goals we score away from home. At home we are very good, and we've conceded 15 goals in 9 away games this season, which is not too bad considering 6 of those goals came in two games. Compare this with Palace, who two seasons ago were solid at home but couldn't win away for toffee (that was the season we tonked them 5-0), and now they've got the best away record in the league. It's simple really, score more away goals, win more away games. We've shown we can play well away from home (Wolves for example), but we have to make it count.

Oops, long post. In summary, disappointed with the result, but there are very fine margins in this league, and if we can improve our away form, we can (eventually) climb the table.

We have to look at a number of things.

.The time of the goals

.That was their strongest side and we had key players missing

.The Formation

As already stated the 2nd goal came when we had our best spell which with any half decent finishing we could have been drawing then the game would have looked alot differently.For me i feel this was alot like peterborough we properly deserved to loose 2-0 at most and the last goal came as the players had given up.

To Play 451 away from home agianst a side who like to keep the ball had already put us in a bad place to start with playing 2 up front was vital and maybe 3 would have been right.

Palace have different types of pace throughout the side they maybe quick down the wings but their 2 centre backs are one of the slowest so to stretch them having good pace upfront would have been the right tactics tyson and theo should have partnered up front.

I liked Sammon and i thought he would be a good fit.But Effort isnt everything.I would rather have someone like Balotelli who can get a goal but doesn't work hard.I was looking at the Sky sports score centre during the game and clicking on the players and theo has 7 goals in 9 games tyson 4 goals in 4 games and then sammon 2 goals in 14 games which is shocking.

Zaha wasnt any good and there is a reason why there is a lack of chamionship players in around the england team because 10 or so teams in our league wouldnt make it in the prem and the games where zaha has looked hes skilled on players that are not good for this league.

Thats 2 games in a row the strikers have scored.Sammon should be dropped.Hendrick should be dropped.Fielding should come back in and We NEED ward he is our best player by miles

Hendrick is my favourite player and i have to admit he has been shocking he has been put in posistions where he has run around alot and he dosent have the best pace.The reason it worked so well last season is because bryson did all the running and hendrick did the passing.Even though hughes is a mega talent i think he needs to be dropped to the bench intil he works on his all round game.I can definately see that he has got faster and now has a bit of acceleration about him but he still lacks strength.

If we did a squad on average rating this would be it

Fielding

brayford Keogh O connor Roberts

Coutts Bryson Hughes Jacobs

Theo Ward

Sammon is one part of the Famous little and large partnership but our little is out injured.However small the squad having rotation throughout the season is vital even resting key players like brayford and bringing in freeman how else are these players going to grow.Also Hoganson should have started instead of roberts hes quick and would have kept Parr back

Theres a difference between being better and having more experience.

Roberts does the basics.If he is retiring at the end of the season naturally hoganson would be first choice replacement should they not buy anyone.But he only has a year contract.Theres a difference still between u21 and first team how can clough seriously see that he is up to scratch if he dosent give him a chance.

Archived