Crystal Palace v Derby County

Day

To Play 451 away from home agianst a side who like to keep the ball had already put us in a bad place to start with playing 2 up front was vital and maybe 3 would have been right.

But to play 3 upfront would have meant playing 3 in midfield, and against a midfield containing Jedinak, Bolasie, Dikacoi and Zaha we would have been destroyed. But I guess this is part of the beauty of football tactics, that every system is flawed in its own way.

I agree with you on two points though. The second goal effectively killed our chances of getting a result stone dead. We came racing out of the blocks in the first ten minutes of the second half, and a goal our way would have changed everything. Also, we really do need Ward back. Anyone know when he's back?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But to play 3 upfront would have meant playing 3 in midfield, and against a midfield containing Jedinak, Bolasie, Dikacoi and Zaha we would have been destroyed. But I guess this is part of the beauty of football tactics, that every system is flawed in its own way.

I agree with you on two points though. The second goal effectively killed our chances of getting a result stone dead. We came racing out of the blocks in the first ten minutes of the second half, and a goal our way would have changed everything. Also, we really do need Ward back. Anyone know when he's back?

zaha and bolasie were wingers not wide midfielders

Theres a difference between being better and having more experience.

Roberts does the basics.If he is retiring at the end of the season naturally hoganson would be first choice replacement should they not buy anyone.But he only has a year contract.Theres a difference still between u21 and first team how can clough seriously see that he is up to scratch if he dosent give him a chance.

Just to add to that, experience isn't everything. If you learn from that experience you become a better player, and in many cases the captain. You could have 20 years experience but still not be as suitable a captain as someone who's 20. I believe that Roberts is very far from captain material. His experience hasn't developed him, and his age has only slowed him. Imo, he isn't good enough, and I would very much like to see Hoganson given the chance now.

Theres a difference between being better and having more experience.

Roberts does the basics.If he is retiring at the end of the season naturally hoganson would be first choice replacement should they not buy anyone.But he only has a year contract.Theres a difference still between u21 and first team how can clough seriously see that he is up to scratch if he dosent give him a chance.

If you ask most people they'd have roberts over hulk hoganson I'd only play at the end of the season if it doesn't matter and cup games. You could argue to have played freeman over robberts. But our robben seems to do fine against pacey players

Been a while since I moaned about Nigel so I've got a complaint.

How long does it take to deal with a problem? How long do you stick by the starting 11 before you make changes? No other manager seems to leave things so late. We'll be getting pinned back, or a player will look off the pace, you look over to the bench and...... nothing. Joe Bloggs is having no effect on the game, look at the bench after an hour? Nothing. Derby have managed 2 shots, surely we'll try to inject some urgency? Nope. Not until the 80th minute when they've wrapped the game up.

I'm not getting into who he brings on for who. Taking Sammon/Theo off for say, Jacobs will always be seen as lessening the attacking intent but sometimes it's capitalised on a weakness or its altered our avenues of attacks.

If you ask most people they'd have roberts over hulk hoganson I'd only play at the end of the season if it doesn't matter and cup games. You could argue to have played freeman over robberts. But our robben seems to do fine against pacey players

Hmm, I don't think so. I've seen pacey players run past him on more than one occasion this season. I've seen him get tricked so that he turns round 360 degrees and loses his player. But the main concern for me is his inability to keep the ball on the ground. Roberts has consistently played hoofball this season, whilst Brayford on the opposite side has found it to another player.

Hmm, I don't think so. I've seen pacey players run past him on more than one occasion this season. I've seen him get tricked so that he turns round 360 degrees and loses his player. But the main concern for me is his inability to keep the ball on the ground. Roberts has consistently played hoofball this season, whilst Brayford on the opposite side has found it to another player.

Well he's pretty solid I think. I'd rather have him over hulk hoganson (I'm trying to make that a thing) if you were going to drop him I'd go with freeman.

Been a while since I moaned about Nigel so I've got a complaint.

How long does it take to deal with a problem? How long do you stick by the starting 11 before you make changes? No other manager seems to leave things so late. We'll be getting pinned back, or a player will look off the pace, you look over to the bench and...... nothing. Joe Bloggs is having no effect on the game, look at the bench after an hour? Nothing. Derby have managed 2 shots, surely we'll try to inject some urgency? Nope. Not until the 80th minute when they've wrapped the game up.

I'm not getting into who he brings on for who. Taking Sammon/Theo off for say, Jacobs will always be seen as lessening the attacking intent but sometimes it's capitalised on a weakness or its altered our avenues of attacks.

It's okay mate, everybody seems to have had enough. I've never seen so many negative posts today, people who are pi55ed off that I wouldn't believe.

A jolly song tonight pals!

Palace:

to the tune of “Unforgettable”

So forgettable

at Selhurst Park

So forgettable

Let's keep it Dark

Crystal Palace they rang rings round us

Scored three goals and hurtful things found us

Taunts, boos and jeers

Still ring in our ears.

Let's forget it all

And just move on,

Though we feel so small

what's done is done

That's why Derby, it's incredible

That a game so truly terrible

Makes us hope that we'll forget it all

Too!

I think this would be Gareth Roberts's last season as a first team player. He will be 35 next year, and would be the granddad in an otherwise youthful side, but I can't see him being as effective in a year or two. Rumours are that we'll be making a swoop for the Hearts left back (and thus capitalising on their financial woes by taking a player off their wage bill), and I'd hope that in the second half of the season (particularly towards the end) we'd blood him in to the side and give them a go. Either them or Hoganson. I always thought Freeman was our left back for the future, but I'm reliably informed that he's a right back. Ho hum.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Paul Dixon? He's at Huddersfield I think, is he pulling up many trees there?

Archived