Will Hughes

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see what Bris is saying.

Firstly take nothing away from Hughes. 17 years old and one of the best technicalplayers in the league. He's unique for a Brit because it's all natural. He's cultured. He's got composure that some players who have been in the game 10 years haven't got. He's got an awareness and the reactions above any Rams player and again it's something you can't teach.

For a Brit, his raw qualities are rare. That's why i think he could go far like Wilshere.

However, Lee Holmes had the world at his feet. Giles Barnes was 19 and was class.

It's ok saying he'll be worth this and that. Or he'll play here or there. But his path is littered with obstacles. He does also benefit from being given a chance. There will be good youngsters out there that haven't been given a shot. Frimpong and such that have to go out on loan and try to find their feet. We don't know what youngsters are out there. All we can compare him to is Henderson and Wilshere, Rodwell, Huddlestone and..... It's very exciting that he does compare already. But what do we make of Henderson's price tag. What's Huddlestone worth? Livermore? Carroll has looked cracking for Spurs? What does that indicate?

See, too many holes and pitfalls. He's worth whatever we get offered. He's not 'for sale' so lets wait and see and just enjoy a gifted young man.

There are players abroad with really amazing technical quality. Young players.

Bris doesnt need to name them. Watch a few U21 games. Watch Italian or Spanish football. Very technical. It's the main attribute requirement. Here we look to pace and strength.

Back to the unique thing about Hughes. English leagues are fast and the most physical. He's up to speed and he's strong. A gifted technical youngster from Spain might get lost playing here. Bullied even.Hughes can add 'hard' to his CV.

He's an English gem. He's 17 and got it all going for him. If he was sold for £20m from Leeds to Liverpool what would we say? Not to say he won't go from Derby to Arsenal for £20m and be a massive success. But spare a thought for Lee Holmes.

Not trying to 'side' with Bris. Not looking for arguments. There were great technical players on show at the Olympics.

Hughes has a long way to go and I just prefer to think of him as 'promising'.

I don't care if we could find a player in Spain for £1 million. (supposedly, although I'm sure a few premier league teams would like to know about these kids that supposedly exist, especially if there after Hughes, could save them a few quid). The kid is quality, and he won't be here for another year, we need to maximize the money for him, and for the meantime appreciate the talent we have in him, and credit the management for giving him the game time to prove himself, where many clubs would have left him till he was 20, which would of limited his potential.

£10 million bidding starts at.

Obviously his age is important, how much more would Michu be worth if he was 17 years old? He'd be priceless.

I think he'd certainly be there and there about at Leicester, but it's difficult to say. Leicester would probably stay up in the Prem because their players would be motivated in the top flight, but in this league they only ever show their quality when they play us.

When a player has proved he can play first team football, especially in a league as good as the Championship, that always increases the price.

Why would Michu be priceless if he was 17.. It doesn't matter how old he is it all depends on potential.. A player could be 15-22 but if his potential at 26-32 is greater then that's his worth..

There are no garauntees a good youngster will turn out to be an absolute gem... If they did, then England would have already won the WC with Francis Jeffers and Niel Mellor leading the line..

I think people are confused by what I'm saying.. We can all say 'well if Henderson is worth $16mill then Will Hughes must be at least $10mill'.. Football doesn't work like that, especially with the ridiculous overspending of British clubs..

If we are to get anywhere near an 8 figure sum that would be monumental for DCFC.. But Hughes isn't worth that.. Nowhere near than at a world market price.. But we all know how stupid the PL clubs are so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Liverpool come knocking in the summer with a big bid..

But they don't need to.. I'm telling you this 100%.. There are plenty of players abroad with similar ability and similar potential (even more) that would go for $1mill...

But again the key point raised here is his age.. You ask me to find a better 17 year old playing football.. His age here becomes meaningless if I can tell you a thousand footballers with better potential with an age of U22..

Marco Reus was bought for $1mill as a 20 year old.. At 17 perhaps he hadn't even made the reserves of his first club Rot Weiss Ahlen.. Are you saying that Will Hughes has more potential than him? Just because he's playing regularly at 17 years old?

How do we know that in 2 years time some 20 year old from Charlton is tearing up the NPC.. But in this moment in time he's barely shining for the U21s?

There is no comparison between Giles Barnes , Lee Holmes and Will Hughes. Holmes and Barnes relied more on pace. Will Hughes has great technical ability and awareness. He makes time on the ball finds space makes superb passes and hardly ever wastes one. Hughes is a natural ball player which is instinctive. He can improve and will no doubt do so and the fact is our academy is producing very good players Hendrick being another one. Why can't we just celebrate the lad without certain people trying to say he's not as good as this and that and making out that his type of player 10 a penny abroad. If Wenger is watching him you can guarantee he's going to be special

Wenger signed Carlos Vela from Chivas when he was 15.. he was scoring hattricks for the first team when he was 17.. He's now playing for Real Sociedad who are midtable in La Liga..

He never reached the 'special tag{ you are referring to..

Hughes is different to Huddlestone, Barnes or any one else we've produced. What he does is so natural and easy to him it's frightening. He is already a better player technically than Wilshere.

Hughes is not a prolific goalscorer so hopefully the big clubs won't go for him and he'll be here long enough to build a team round him and guide us into the prem before we sell him to Barca for £50m.

Plus add ons.

Btw, just wanna add I'm not being a miserable fooker.

Well, a bit maybe.

I'm not saying Hughes isn't very exciting and the sort of player I'm happy to hand over £30 to watch. He can do things I can't. I hate my passion for Derby forcing me to pay £30 to watch somebody hoof it near a striker. I can do that.

So if Hughes lifts a world cup for England don't be saying 'remember when Alpha and Bris said he was ****! Lol'

It was just Bris. Ok?

I do appreciate him.. He's just not worth anywhere near the 8 figure sum people are throwing around on here at a world market price..

There is nothing wrong with saying that.. It's the truth..

Him and Will are mindblowing eh Curtains? For English standard perhaps.. I see that sort of football from Celta Vigo U19s..

Derby should be proud though.. It's not often a team can produce British youngsters who are so calm and assuring in possession..

I'd pay $30 a ticket if we had another 10 players of Will Hughes ability on the pitch..

As we've only got one.. A match at PP isn't worth more than $10..

At the City Ground where they play rubbish football and hardly score any goals.. I wouldn't go for free.. It wouldn't be worth the petrol money to get there and the whisky shot to keep me warm from the freezing breeze that blows through the cracks of an old shed..

At 17 years of age we have a young man who positions himself brillianly on the pitch and makes inch perfect passes to players in goal scoring situations.

He clearly enjoys the game of football and recognises the value of ploaying as part of a team.

There is no way that he thinks of himself as a big fish in a small pool, neither does he let his skills go to his head.

Any team would be glad to have him play for them as he has at least 15 years of top flight football ahead of him.

Taking all this into consideration and accepting that he will not be best served by staying with Derby County (sad, but inevitable) I see no reason why the Rams should be in a hurry to sell and if anyone offers a derisory amount just say "no thanks" and hold out for at least 10 million which translates as under £700,000 per season.

All the best to the lad in the future and let's enjoy marvelling at his skills whilst we can!

In today's market I would rate him around the 6M mark and if a bid comes in around that figure we should accept (begrudgingly) and give the money to Clough to improve this team.

Hughes was outstanding against Leeds but it was another player who would get my man of the match. Connor Sammon. His work rate was fantastic, his first touch, dribbling!, hold up play all great. A classic performance from a centre forward. More of that please Connor.

We've seen players such as Bob Malcolm, Eddie Lewis, Stephen Pearson and Robbie Savage grace our midfield in recent years, it's refreshing to see such a young talent fitting in to our side with such ease. BE HAPPY FEERRRRR FOOK SAKE.

Its impossible to do that. He could find a negative in us winning the champions league. Anything that's good about derby county he takes and says well Spain is much better which makes me think 2 things:

1. Why don't you stick to Spanish football and leave us alone.

2. Derby is in England why are you on about spain?

I wouldn't entertain any bid for him. £20m? No.

I'm not saying GSE will see it my way, but it would be a mistake to sell IMO.

We are NEARLY a very good side at this level. Will Hughes gives us that bit of quality other teams lack, and if we build around him we could be in with a serious shout next season as the young squad improves. I can see a good argument for why Will should stay here for a couple of years too. He's local, he's playing, he's learning, he's improving and adding more to his game all the time. He's got years to get a big move - get us up, keep us up and then if he's as good as we think he is he can get his move to a Champions League regular, if not, he'll be as well being a one club hero and staying here all his career. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I do appreciate him.. He's just not worth anywhere near the 8 figure sum people are throwing around on here at a world market price..

There is nothing wrong with saying that.. It's the truth..

Him and Will are mindblowing eh Curtains? For English standard perhaps.. I see that sort of football from Celta Vigo U19s..

Derby should be proud though.. It's not often a team can produce British youngsters who are so calm and assuring in possession..

Im watching motd and have seen 2 players who were at wills age or older have signed for stupid money and were no where near as good. First, Conner Wickham, 9 mill i think he was sold for and he is never a 9 mill player. The second is Delph 8 mill. Another youngster who was no where near as good as Will is now. If these players can go for 8/9 mill, Why can't Will ? at 17 his a better player mentally and technically than both of them.

Archived