The Championship this year.

Alph

Is it in my head or is The Championship really poor this year?

Looking at the teams come down B'Burn, Bolton and Wolves.... none were relegated for one poor season. They have been poor and struggling for a while. They've had little Premiership quality in their squads anyway and what they did have is now virtually gone. Players like Dunn and Pederson are certainly beyond their peak. Bolton allowed Coyle to build a 2nd tier squad a year ago. Relegation was almost a certainty IMO after they took ok Championship players and put them straight into the Premiership matchday squad. Wolves had been dodging bullets thanks to a decent striker and another one or two players that just about separated them from a Championship side. All gone.

When big clubs come from League 1 they usually come pretty strong. Full of momentum and with some of the best players undiscovered by clubs in the top two tiers. Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich.... this year we've seen Huddersfield, Charlton and Wednesday. Not calling the first two small clubs but they've spent considerable time outside the Championship not doing very much. They are certainly decent Championship sides (well, so far they look to be a match for anyone). But I don't think they pack the power that the other clubs brought. Sheff Wednesday I expected more of though.

I just think the quality has dropped off. I know Newcastle dominated and WBA were too good. I know WHU didn't play pretty football. But with Swansea going up and absolute zero PL quality coming down. With the promoted sides not really packing much of a punch like Southampton and Norwich I just wonder if it was a bit like a golden period for the second tier where the division was producing a handful of teams as good as PL's strugglers B'Burn, Wigan, Bolton, Wolves.

It's as competitive as ever. And maybe Newcastle were sort of too good to come down. But I don't see who the division can send up this year that will stay up. Leicester still can't get it right. Ipswich must be spending enough to have a go at it but Jewell did his magic. Hull and Brighton look quality like Swansea did but aren't the finished article. The sort of football they play is slower steady progress (I'd like to think that's our route).

So our financial power houses are donkeys

Our footballing sides aren't ready

Our newcomers are average

And Cardiff are about the only team you could call established, settled promotion material..... and they do some right fook ups.

Am I talking out me arse though?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The league is as strong as one another at the top end of the championship now, you look at the top 13 sides currently and you can make arguments to all of them while they will be up there come the end of the season, and why the won't be...

I think there is genuinely a great feeling of competition in the division, there isn't 1 bad side to speak of - on paper Barnsley, Millwall and Peterborough are the worst sides for me but they also have their own strengths and they play to their strengths very well and pick up points against whoever on their day.

Ipswich have a good side - miss managed and in trouble

Palace have a decent side - well organised, very determined and working hard for the wins

they're the top and bottom club - on paper very little between the sides, in practicality a 20 points difference in 15 league games... which is very large. It's a cracking division this season and I think anyone currently sat in that top 13 can get automatic promotion - this will be a very tight league, wouldn't be surprised to see the last day decide the fate of alot of clubs this season.

The league is as strong as one another at the top end of the championship now, you look at the top 13 sides currently and you can make arguments to all of them while they will be up there come the end of the season, and why the won't be...

I think there is genuinely a great feeling of competition in the division, there isn't 1 bad side to speak of - on paper Barnsley, Millwall and Peterborough are the worst sides for me but they also have their own strengths and they play to their strengths very well and pick up points against whoever on their day.

Ipswich have a good side - miss managed and in trouble

Palace have a decent side - well organised, very determined and working hard for the wins

they're the top and bottom club - on paper very little between the sides, in practicality a 20 points difference in 15 league games... which is very large. It's a cracking division this season and I think anyone currently sat in that top 13 can get automatic promotion - this will be a very tight league, wouldn't be surprised to see the last day decide the fate of alot of clubs this season.

Pretty much agree with this - it's a great league this year and if the Prem was as competitive it would be far more entertaining to watch.

The tightness of it all just helps fire rivalry up even more, and it all becomes that bit more fun too. I mean, when you look at where Derby are in the table it's sheer madness - just proves that anything is possible! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Pretty much agree with this - it's a great league this year and if the Prem was as competitive it would be far more entertaining to watch.

The tightness of it all just helps fire rivalry up even more, and it all becomes that bit more fun too. I mean, when you look at where Derby are in the table it's sheer madness - just proves that anything is possible! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I know, just shows even a team as strong as us can be as low as 9th in the division with 15 games gone...

I agree it's the most open season you could expect. No West Ham or Newcastle to be guaranteed a top spot just because they have too good players.

But where it could send up good teams that you imagine will stay up... Norwich were class, Swansea controlled games just lacked a scorer, Newcastle, WHU,WBA, Wolves were a top side..... who could you see staying up?

The NPC doesn't get worse or better each years.. It stays the same, it's a drab league devoid of any quality..

League positions are all but irrelevent and you still wouldn't know who is likely to go up until April time.. We've seen time and time again a club come from nowehere to grab an automatic promotion spot..

I wouldn't be suprised if a club started making inroads around February time to climb up the ladder and claim a spot.. I think any club that's within 12-15 points off the top come Frebruary/March is still within reach and any club with 10 points of the auto places are in a strong position to go on..

People tend to forget that 46 games is a long long way.. Especially as we've only played 15 games, 31 remain! 93 points still up for grabs.. In February there are still some 15 or 16 games to go which is a near 50 points to play for which is certainly enough for a club to leapfrog the rest.. We could be midtable, around 13th come February, say 43 points from 30 games.. It would only take a strong run of 11 or 12 wins from the final 16 to really put is in the mixer..

I agree bris.

But now you say that ANY team can come out of nowhere. Why do say that it cannot be us?

And it's not drab and devoid of quality.......

Because of our management team..

And it is drab and devoid of any quality.. The fact there is no standout team in a bunch of average teams goes to show how much quality is here.. Southampton and Reading cruised last season but are struggling bigtime at a higher level.. And many sides at that higher level lacks quality aswell

Because of our management team..

And it is drab and devoid of any quality.. The fact there is no standout team in a bunch of average teams goes to show how much quality is here.. Southampton and Reading cruised last season but are struggling bigtime at a higher level.. And many sides at that higher level lacks quality aswell

So then any team can come from nowhere APART from us?

Archived