Wilfred Zaha

Ambitious

He's clearly a really good player at this level. He probably needs another 1-2 seasons to prove he can do it regularly but he's got the potential. The run for Dikgacoi's goal on Saturday was world class - if Bale had done that people would have been losing their **** about it.

There was always going to be a wildcard given the amount of people pulling out. He'll probably be part of the set up for years to come so it's good he's being introduced now even though he won't play (unless there's a huge amount of further injuries).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[size=5]Will Hughes dream move to Liverpool looks to be finnally coming true! [/size]

The young Liverpool supporter who currently plays for Derby County has come to Liverpools attention with a 25 yard screamer against Millwall and has also been given his opportunity to shine for England U-21 after being a stand out for the U-19 squad, Will has stated previously his love for Liverpool and with Derby looking to sell so they can reinvest the move looks ever closer.

I am in the very minority when I say I hope this happens, I know people have a lot of time for Will and as do I. I think he is a very intelligent and talented player, but I feel he needs better players around him who're on a better wavelength than our players to improve.

For me, it's like keeping someone doing their GCSE's when they're bright enough to do their A level's - you're limiting their learning potential and that's how I feel with Hughes - big difference to the likes of Zaha and Bennett who are as good as they're down to their physical ability as much as their footballing brain and ability.

People may disagree, I obviously want the club to be well compensated for the sale of Will - a big massive chunk! but he has the potential to be an utterly fantastic player, making him play in a pudding league with pudding players isn't going to help him become the player he can be, and after watching young player after young player become hyped and dropped then I think set a fee and let the big clubs bash it out. I said 10million in another thread (straight up 10million) add ons... would be nice too but the initial fee is the big one and if we get an initial fee of roughly that, and we can invest it in players for the here and now - we will be a lot better off.

I am in the very minority when I say I hope this happens, I know people have a lot of time for Will and as do I. I think he is a very intelligent and talented player, but I feel he needs better players around him who're on a better wavelength than our players to improve.

For me, it's like keeping someone doing their GCSE's when they're bright enough to do their A level's - you're limiting their learning potential and that's how I feel with Hughes - big difference to the likes of Zaha and Bennett who are as good as they're down to their physical ability as much as their footballing brain and ability.

People may disagree, I obviously want the club to be well compensated for the sale of Will - a big massive chunk! but he has the potential to be an utterly fantastic player, making him play in a pudding league with pudding players isn't going to help him become the player he can be, and after watching young player after young player become hyped and dropped then I think set a fee and let the big clubs bash it out. I said 10million in another thread (straight up 10million) add ons... would be nice too but the initial fee is the big one and if we get an initial fee of roughly that, and we can invest it in players for the here and now - we will be a lot better off.

He'd get ripped apart in the Premier League right now. It took all the strength in his legs to hit that shot on Saturday.

So it's either sit on the bench at Liverpool, or get butchered in the PL.

I think he's got superb potential, but he's better at Derby for now. Beef up a bit, grow up a bit. Then go. But stay here for a couple of seasons.

IN THE FLUCKING MIDDLE.

He'd get ripped apart in the Premier League right now. It took all the strength in his legs to hit that shot on Saturday.

So it's either sit on the bench at Liverpool, or get butchered in the PL.

I think he's got superb potential, but he's better at Derby for now. Beef up a bit, grow up a bit. Then go. But stay here for a couple of seasons.

IN THE FLUCKING MIDDLE.

He'd be fine in the premier league - his mind is quick enough to deal with it! He needs better players around him mind, that is my point I could be wrong but think its a myth you have to be a weight lifter to be a premier league player. If your mind is quick enough, then you shouldn't get touched in theory .

Palace fan here... I've been going to Selhurst for 37 years now and I can hand on heart say that Zaha is the real deal. I've never seen anyone as good as him, either for palace or anyone else for that matter!

Oppo teams now put 3,4 or even 5 players around him and 9 times out of ten he will get past them.

He's only just turned 20 and still has a lot to learn. The improvements he has made since last season are phenomenal. Seriously, if Carrol cost £35 million then Wilf is worth triple that. If he can put some scoring boots on...

I'd love to see him stay at Palace for at least another season, but i think once he sits down with all the other England international players this week and is told the silly money they are on, he may just go in january

Good luck for the rest of the season.

BTW. If you put too many players on Wilf, then Yannick Bolassie will tear yer defence apart on the other wing!

Evening chaps, Palace fan in peace

Just thought I'd address a few of the points raised with regards to Zaha.

We've already rejected a £7m approach from Bolton last January, and a reported £8m from Wigan, so to suggest he will go for fees in the region of £2m is ridiculous. He's only improved since last January, so why would his value decrease? Having said that, the £20m figure being quoted is excessive, and probably just being used by our owners to raise the 'starting bid' we get. I'd expect something in the region of £12 - £15m will be the eventual fee.

Arsenal paid £12m for Oxlade- Chamberlain based on 36 League one appearances

£12m for Walcott based on 21 Championship appearances

£10m for Bale based on 40 Championship appearances

Zaha has played 98 Championship games.

The Moses comparison is ridiculous, we sold him when we were in administration for an outrageous £2.5m fee. Chelsea only had to pay £10m as he was in the last year of his contract and didn't want to sign a new one with Wigan. Having watched both Moses and Zaha week in week out, I would say Zaha just edges it in terms of potential, although Moses is obviously a few years ahead in terms of development.

The idea that he should be used centrally is wrong. It's been tried and tested at Selhurst and he just gets crowded out. Wilf is most effective running at defenders, not playing with his back to goal. He is a much, much better player down the wing.

In terms of our academy, Bostock is the only one I'd consider a flop, and that's because he was stupid enough to leave aged 16, with next to no first team experience. We have Watson, Clyne and Routledge are all Premiership regulars, Moses plays for the European Champions, and we have players like Hall and Scannell dotted about the Championship.

It's completely short sighted to say he should be dropped because he hasn't decided on his international future yet. It's his life at the end of the day. He could probably walk into the Ivory Coast squad now and pick up 20 caps before he'd be anywhere near ready to be a regular England international, if he ever reaches that level at all. If he rushes into the England team like you suggest he could end up with no sort of International career at all.

The stats you've quoted comparing him to Charlie Austin are, quite frankly, made up. To suggest he's set up 2 goals this year is laughable, he's won more penalties than that, nevermind assists from open play.

Evening chaps, Palace fan in peace

Just thought I'd address a few of the points raised with regards to Zaha.

We've already rejected a £7m approach from Bolton last January, and a reported £8m from Wigan, so to suggest he will go for fees in the region of £2m is ridiculous. He's only improved since last January, so why would his value decrease? Having said that, the £20m figure being quoted is excessive, and probably just being used by our owners to raise the 'starting bid' we get. I'd expect something in the region of £12 - £15m will be the eventual fee.

Arsenal paid £12m for Oxlade- Chamberlain based on 36 League one appearances

£12m for Walcott based on 21 Championship appearances

£10m for Bale based on 40 Championship appearances

Zaha has played 98 Championship games.

The Moses comparison is ridiculous, we sold him when we were in administration for an outrageous £2.5m fee. Chelsea only had to pay £10m as he was in the last year of his contract and didn't want to sign a new one with Wigan. Having watched both Moses and Zaha week in week out, I would say Zaha just edges it in terms of potential, although Moses is obviously a few years ahead in terms of development.

The idea that he should be used centrally is wrong. It's been tried and tested at Selhurst and he just gets crowded out. Wilf is most effective running at defenders, not playing with his back to goal. He is a much, much better player down the wing.

In terms of our academy, Bostock is the only one I'd consider a flop, and that's because he was stupid enough to leave aged 16, with next to no first team experience. We have Watson, Clyne and Routledge are all Premiership regulars, Moses plays for the European Champions, and we have players like Hall and Scannell dotted about the Championship.

It's completely short sighted to say he should be dropped because he hasn't decided on his international future yet. It's his life at the end of the day. He could probably walk into the Ivory Coast squad now and pick up 20 caps before he'd be anywhere near ready to be a regular England international, if he ever reaches that level at all. If he rushes into the England team like you suggest he could end up with no sort of International career at all.

The stats you've quoted comparing him to Charlie Austin are, quite frankly, made up. To suggest he's set up 2 goals this year is laughable, he's won more penalties than that, nevermind assists from open play.

Indeed.

Zaha is clearly excellent, due to his call up however the media has gone over-board as usual and claimedh him the next Messi. He isn't, though i'd say he's better than Sterling and he got called up too, so he's still a cracking talent.

If Palace settle at £8-10m with add-ons, who do you think will turn up at Palace as a replacement? Perhaps Olly will bring Phillips to the Prem with him from Blackpool? Would be hard to replace Zaha, not many players like him around right now, certainly not at this level and at a decent price.

Erm, any player can look the real deal when young and turn out to be nothing.. Argentina won the Olympics in both 2004 and 2008 and many players were hyped for the bigtime.. Go have a look and tell me how many have made it in Europe let alone 'the big time'

To say someone has been going to Selhurst for 37 years and hasn't seen anyone as good for Palace or the opposition is just barmy and ludicrous.. For starters seems as Palace were in the PL in 2004-05 you would have seen the likes of Henry, Giggs, Pires, Robben and Ronaldo who all played in a similar position..

You can say what you like about the youth of today, but rarely do English youth players get close to being in the worldclass bracket.. Of the past 20 years you'd struggle to find a single English player that has made it to a worldclass standard.. I'd say Lampard and Rooney are the closest you'd find..

Zaha is massively overrated.. I'm not saying he's not a good player, perhaps he's an excellent player for this standard.. But he's getting the same rave reviews as Walcott who IMO is only a decent PL player..

Sorry but not having this at all, International football is not about picking which country suits your career the best.

I want English players wanting to play for England, I don't want players pulling on the 3 lions as it might look better on his cv.

Any player that is reluctant to accept a call up or refuses to sit on the bench as players have done should never play for England.

I also hate seeing us trying to tempt players out of international retirement.

Pulling on the 3 lions should be the proudest moment of a footballers career, representing your country.

To say someone has been going to Selhurst for 37 years and hasn't seen anyone as good for Palace or the opposition is just barmy and ludicrous.. For starters seems as Palace were in the PL in 2004-05 you would have seen the likes of Henry, Giggs, Pires, Robben and Ronaldo who all played in a similar position...

i think he means in a palace shirt.

i think he means in a palace shirt.

Seriously. I've said to many on www.holradio.net (a live Palace podcast on sunday's at 8 if you want to listen) that Wilf is worth the entrance money alone. Zaha is world class, and I'm not someone prone to exaggeration. (Now watch him have a crap game on saturday...)

Seriously. I've said to many on www.holradio.net (a live Palace podcast on sunday's at 8 if you want to listen) that Wilf is worth the entrance money alone. Zaha is world class, and I'm not someone prone to exaggeration. (Now watch him have a crap game on saturday...)

we'll seen not seen him play this season so not making a judgement yet, looked good last year.

not as good as our will 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

He'd be fine in the premier league - his mind is quick enough to deal with it! He needs better players around him mind, that is my point I could be wrong but think its a myth you have to be a weight lifter to be a premier league player. If your mind is quick enough, then you shouldn't get touched in theory .

You don't have to be a weightlifter but you do have to be able to at least make a tackle.

Theory's all well and good but it never works out that way. He's not phyiscally grown up yet, you can see that by looking at him. He needs to develop into an adult. His frame would make him a target for heavy tackles - Stoke would have a field day with him.

But when he's got the upper body strength to hold players off when he's got the ball, and the courage (and experience) to fly in to tackles, he'll be great in the Premiership. Couple of years is all it needs. He'll be 19. 10/11 years in the Premiership at the top of his game. It's not like he's 27 and we want him to stay until he's 29.

It may well work out now but the likelihood is he'll be a youth and reserve player. Liverpool could end with a couple of different managers in that time, priorities could change and he could be out the frame.

Don't be ridiculous..

Zaha isn't worldclass.. If he was he'd be destroying what is a very average league.. Rooney wasn't worldclass when he made his $30mill move from Everton to Man Utd.. He became a (borderline) worldclas player at Man Utd..

Zaha worldclass now? I don't see Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or so on lining up to sign him.. I don't even see any formal bids come in for him.. If he was such hot property the big clubs would have had him a year or so ago..

Pipe down buddy

On a side note I bloody hate the overrating of some of the British players.. Some joker posted on the BBC as it happened Sunday live football that Bale was comfortably the best player on the field and there isn't a single club he couldn't play for.. On par with Messi and Ronaldo for technical ability etc.. 5 minutes later after Bale gave away possession cheaply 3 times David Silva completely showed him up by making an assist hardly anyone else in the PL is capable of and made it look easy..

Seriously.. fustrating..

And also what joker said that Spain would be finished by 2015 and used the Olympics as a reason behind this.. Spain recently won the U21 Championship which is far more difficult and Barca alone have more players than the 3 mentioned in Cuenca, Montoya, Bertra, Tello, Thiago, Sergi Roberto who will all feature or have featured for Barca this season.. Not to mention already top players like Callejon, De Gae, Martinez, Munaian, Rodrigo.. And in 2015 the likes of Pique, Ramos, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro will still be around and probably at a higher level than they are now

Don't be ridiculous..

Zaha isn't worldclass.. If he was he'd be destroying what is a very average league.. Rooney wasn't worldclass when he made his $30mill move from Everton to Man Utd.. He became a (borderline) worldclas player at Man Utd..

Zaha worldclass now? I don't see Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or so on lining up to sign him.. I don't even see any formal bids come in for him.. If he was such hot property the big clubs would have had him a year or so ago..

Pipe down buddy

On a side note I bloody hate the overrating of some of the British players.. Some joker posted on the BBC as it happened Sunday live football that Bale was comfortably the best player on the field and there isn't a single club he couldn't play for.. On par with Messi and Ronaldo for technical ability etc.. 5 minutes later after Bale gave away possession cheaply 3 times David Silva completely showed him up by making an assist hardly anyone else in the PL is capable of and made it look easy..

Seriously.. fustrating..

And also what joker said that Spain would be finished by 2015 and used the Olympics as a reason behind this.. Spain recently won the U21 Championship which is far more difficult and Barca alone have more players than the 3 mentioned in Cuenca, Montoya, Bertra, Tello, Thiago, Sergi Roberto who will all feature or have featured for Barca this season.. Not to mention already top players like Callejon, De Gae, Martinez, Munaian, Rodrigo.. And in 2015 the likes of Pique, Ramos, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro will still be around and probably at a higher level than they are now

perhaps yer right... after all I am comparing him to some of the dross I've seen at Palace in the last few years. But I still maintain, he is a very very special player.

perhaps yer right... after all I am comparing him to some of the dross I've seen at Palace in the last few years. But I still maintain, he is a very very special player.

I hope he stays with you, and helps fire you to the PL.. Just for my Grandads sake (he's a lifelong Palace fan and in his 80s)

Indeed.

Zaha is clearly excellent, due to his call up however the media has gone over-board as usual and claimedh him the next Messi. He isn't, though i'd say he's better than Sterling and he got called up too, so he's still a cracking talent.

If Palace settle at £8-10m with add-ons, who do you think will turn up at Palace as a replacement? Perhaps Olly will bring Phillips to the Prem with him from Blackpool? Would be hard to replace Zaha, not many players like him around right now, certainly not at this level and at a decent price.

In terms of replacements, a few of our academy kids,in particular Jon Williams, have looked very promising and hopefully by the time Wilf moves on he'll be ready to step up. I'd much rather see us replace from within and reinvest the funds elsewhere.

Archived