NEW Safe Standing Video featuring Nigel Clough

therams69

Unless you bring in a new "youth" of today, I dont think you will ever come close to atmosphere of the BBG. Football changed not because of sky, but the introduction of mobile phones, the internet, Xbox live etc....Saturday was as much about meeting up with your mates for a pre match pint and catch up, as it was going to the game, we never had to meet with the owners to see where we could sit, we never had song sheets so everyone knew the words, a drummer would have been laughed at, and the football special was never to be missed.

Good luck in the new standing area, but IMO times changing has created the dull atmosphere as well as moving ground.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/525576_440899369306004_776394250_n

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you bring in a new "youth" of today, I dont think you will ever come close to atmosphere of the BBG. Football changed not because of sky, but the introduction of mobile phones, the internet, Xbox live etc....Saturday was as much about meeting up with your mates for a pre match pint and catch up, as it was going to the game, we never had to meet with the owners to see where we could sit, we never had song sheets so everyone knew the words, a drummer would have been laughed at, and the football special was never to be missed.

Good luck in the new standing area, but IMO times changing has created the dull atmosphere as well as moving ground.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/525576_440899369306004_776394250_n

Great photo Leeds Ram.......

I've just watched another clip (Standing - A common sense solution?) which I think wrongly states that the fire at Valley Parade was caused by standing arrangments which were unsafe. It wasn't standing or not that caused that fire, it was a discarded fag end or match falling on existing rubbish under the stands.

Anyway, I reckon safe standing will and is proving to be very popular and that's fine providing it's safe (which by all accounts it is). I won't be standing all match, I'm getting too old for that, but I can see why loads want to stand. The way things are at the minute needs to change. It's not good for people to stand on their chairs, it's too dangerous. Something like safe standing would eliminate this, aswell as putting an end to crushes.

Speaking as a parent, I'd much rather my younger kids stood up if they wanted to but only in a safe environment where they couldn't be crushed from behind and this looks to be the best solution. They'd have to go to the front though as their view would be blocked? No problem with that.

Not seen it mentioned anywhere but Hull and Crystal Palace have also gone public.

Palace:

CRYSTAL Palace Football Club have backed calls from [url=http://www.powerlinks.com/api/powerlink-click-custom?id=386&keyword=supporters&advertiser_intext_ad_id=338&campaign_id=1250&type=null]supporters for the Government to allow trials of safe standing areas in England.

Co-chairman Stephen Browett told the Advertiser this week he “fully supported” proposals to pilot technology currently used in Germany, as it was possible it might actually improve crowd safety.

Selhurst Park has been an all-seater stadium for almost 20 years, after standing was outlawed following the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. But a growing number of clubs in the top two divisions are now asking for trials of “rail seating” areas, in the hope they could provide a solution to stop thousands of [url=http://www.powerlinks.com/api/powerlink-click-custom?id=386&keyword=fans&advertiser_intext_ad_id=338&campaign_id=1250&type=null]fans persistently standing in seated areas.

Mr Browett said: “I fully support the introduction of a pilot scheme to test safe standing in our football stadiums. At the moment most away supporters stand in front of seats as well as a sizeable chunk of home fans.”

Rail seating is comprised of seats incorporated into a continuous waist height barrier. The seats can be flipped up and locked to create standing areas, but any crushing or surging is physically impossible because barriers are fixed every one or two rows.

“It would appear to me that rail seats could be a safer option, as it is already used successfully and safely in Germany,” Mr Browett added.

A nationwide [url=http://www.powerlinks.com/api/powerlink-click-custom?id=386&keyword=Football&advertiser_intext_ad_id=338&campaign_id=1250&type=null]Football Supporters’ Federation campaign for safe standing areas was boosted last month following the release of the damning Hillsborough report, which blamed the tragedy almost entirely on the police and which has now encouraged more clubs to declare an interest in relaxing the all seater rule. An early day motion has since been tabled in Parliament to allow trials and the Federation has announced plans this week to demonstrate rail seats to MPs at Westminster in December.

Campaigner Jon Darch, who has spent more than a year visiting clubs throughout the country with a sample rail seat structure, said the prospect of Palace fans being allowed to stand again was edging closer.

He said: "When I came to Selhurst Park last December, I was very pleased to find the club keen to explore the concept. For the chairman to now follow that up with his comments this week is very good news indeed and adds to the support being expressed by other clubs such as Aston Villa, Sunderland, Peterborough United, Derby County and the whole of the Scotland.

“We now hope that a good number of MPs will represent the wishes of their football-supporting constituents by signing the early day motion. If all goes well, clubs like Crystal Palace may soon be able to offer their singing sections designated safe standing accommodation designed for the purpose."

Hull:

BREAKING NEWS: Hull City to publicly back Safe Standing option at the KC Stadium

Quite sensational news! After years of supporter campaigning on safer standing at football grounds, Hull City Football Club will formally and publicly declare their support for the long standing movement, that is hoping to bring back the option to stand at football matches - and in particular - the KC Stadium.

City taking a stand at the Circle

Forerunners of the campaign have been the diligent and stirling efforts constructed by the Football Supporters Federation who have lobbied the powers that be in to seeing a return to safer standing facilities at football grounds. Indeed, the FSF brought their roadshow to the Circle in February this year and some sample rail seat technology terracing was available for Hull City fans to try before last season's home match with Bristol City.

Now, the club have decided to go public in support for the re-introduction of a safe standing option for fans at the Circle and a statement pledging such will appear on the official club website this coming Saturday. As ever, as soon as the statement appears from the club, CI will update this current story.

Archived