Lewis Hamilton to replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes in 2013

CumbrianRam

Lewis Hamilton will on Friday bring to an end one of the most controversial and long-running transfer sagas in Formula One history by announcing that he is leaving McLaren, the team he has been with over half his life, for rivals Mercedes in a three-year deal worth an estimated $100 million (£61.6million).

The announcement is almost certain to end the career of the most successful driver in F1, seven-time world championa Michael Schumacher, whose return three years ago to the sport he once bestrode like a colossus palpably failed to live up to expectations.

It is not yet clear whether Schumacher will be offered some sort of ambassadorial or management role with the Brackley team.

The Daily Telegraph understands that Mercedes are waiting for their board in Stuttgart to sign off on the new Concorde Agreement, the commercial pact which binds the teams to the sport, before making an official announcement regarding Hamilton. That announcement should arrive today.

Right up until the end the move was kept shrouded in secrecy. McLaren are only understood to have been informed of Hamilton’s decision yesterday, and may hold a press conference of their own this morning, at which they will announce their next move.

There is no doubt, though, that Hamilton’s rejection, particularly after McLaren returned more than once in recent weeks with improved deals, reportedly matching Mercedes’ offer, will come as a bitter blow to the team who nurtured the 27 year-old from young karter to F1 world champion.

Hamilton famously walked up to McLaren’s then team principal, Ron Dennis, at the Autosport Awards ceremony as a 10 year-old in 1995 and said: “I want to race for you one day.” Less than three years later he was signed by the Woking team, who put him through the British Formula Renault, Formula Three Euroseries, and GP2 championships on his way up the motor racing ladder.

Hamilton’s decision to move to pastures new will no doubt be seen by some within the team as a betrayal. The McLaren principal, Martin Whitmarsh, who had always said he was confident of hanging on to Hamilton, and who claimed in Monza three weeks ago that there was “no plan B” in the event that the 2008 world champion left the team, seemed more confident than ever in Singapore last weekend.

Hamilton, too, reacted to his retirement from the lead in that race with maturity, praising his team for producing a car which has taken pole at the last four races, winning three of them.

In truth, it must have been a final act of kindness from a driver who had already made up his mind to gamble on a fresh start.

The regular controversies which have punctuated their relationship in recent seasons, the tension which was increasingly palpable, makes the move understandable.

Mercedes may have won just one race in 50 since returning as a full works team in 2010, but they have huge financial resources at their disposal, a much larger brand and a team principal in Ross Brawn who has delivered over half the world championships on offer this century.

The car’s competitiveness is an issue but Hamilton has clearly gambled on the capitalising on new engine regulations in 2014, when a 1.6-litre V6 turbo will be introduced. Mercedes, as one of the sport’s manufacturer teams, are expected to throw everything at that season.

Brawn yesterday said there was no reason that the team could not be competitive in 2013, arguing that the recruitment of a glut of experienced F1 engineers over the last 12-18 months would begin to show in 2013.

“I think we can [be competitive],” he said. “Next year is very important and it has got to be another strong progression. We have been a patchy this year. We have won a race but we have not been consistent enough. “The changes we have made at in the last two years will be measured in 2013. Geoff Willis, Aldo Costa, Mike Elliott, our new head of aero. I’m very excited about Mike. He’s a really strong guy. That has to show through in 2013 and I am pretty optimistic and confident that it will.”

Hamilton, whose move is certain electrify the paddock and is likely to kick-start a merry-go-round as far as race seats for next season are concerned, will go into the team as a clear No1, racing alongside his old karting team-mate and friend Nico Rosberg.

The move raises all sorts of questions; from how much influence XIX Entertainment, Simon Fuller’s management company, had over the decision — XIX are expected to be able to make more money out of Hamilton’s contract at Mercedes, who will grant them greater freedom to exploit his image rights – to who McLaren will get to line up alongside Jenson Button next year.

For the moment, though, F1 will just soak up one of the most sensational transfer stories in recent history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/9572696/Lewis-Hamilton-to-join-Mercedes-in-100m-move-from-McLaren.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McLaren will announce Sergio Perez as Lewis Hamilton’s replacement after losing their star driver to rivals Mercedes, the Daily Telegraph understands.

Sauber’s 22 year-old Mexican was known to be top of their wish-list in the event that Hamilton succumbed to Mercedes’ overtures and an announcement could even arrive as early as Friday morning.

A member of the Ferrari academy, Perez has impressed in his two seasons in Formula One to date, his ability to manage his tyres seeing him fly through the field in Malaysia, Canada and most recently Italy, where he drove from 12th on the grid to finish second to Hamilton.

In Singapore last week, Perez denied that he had been approached by the Woking team but made it clear that he was available, insisting his relationship to Ferrari would not count against him.

"I have a nice connection to Ferrari through the Ferrari Academy, but I'm just part of the academy – not part of the Ferrari team,” he said.

“So it doesn't affect [any possible move]. I feel ready to fight for championships at top teams.”

It was an intriguing statement in the wake of comments from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo to the effect that Perez was still too inexperienced to replace the struggling Felipe Massa at Maranello.

Montezemolo may yet live to rue allowing Perez to slip through his fingers. The attraction of Perez, apart from his ability behind the wheel, is his relationship with Telmex and its chairman and CEO Carlos Slim, the world’s richest man. The telecommunications giant would be a welcome addition to the McLaren stable should Vodafone decide not to renew its title sponsorship deal, as has been rumoured.

How Perez will work alongside Jenson Button remains to be seen. The 2009 world champion said in Singapore last weekend that he wanted a “quick and experienced” driver alongside him in the event that Hamilton left.

“Two people who have experience are better than one because there will be days when you go in a direction when your set-up doesn't work and his does,” Button explained. “That works for both so you definitely want someone with experience. You don't want a newcomer stepping into the car next year.”

However, asked if Montezemelo might therefore be right about Perez, Button appeared to row back on his comments.

“He might be but I think he [Perez] is a quick learner,” he said. “A guy who can look after his tyres as well as he does is not stupid. He learns well.

“I don't know what he is like setting up a car but he can't be bad if he is doing as well he is. But maybe if you had an experienced driver in the car it would be even quicker. Who knows?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9572727/Sergio-Perez-will-fill-void-left-by-Lewis-Hamilton-at-McLaren.html

But isn't he on similar money to what he is on at McLaren? I think there is other things that have swayed his decision

Maybe. I was under the impression McLaren were tightening their belts though and they would not be offering the same money.

I hope McLaren stick it to him next year.

But isn't he on similar money to what he is on at McLaren? I think there is other things that have swayed his decision

He'll get more money from Mercedes and also McLaren is much more strict about having other sponsors. At Mercedes he get his personal sponsors much more freely and make a bundle.

He can't win with Mercedes and he knows it. So it's about money.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Mercedes are almost definitely going to be world champions soon and have an amazing back room staff. They'll have the advantage of thei own engine in 2014 as they are the best in the business and McLaren traditionally struggle when new rule changes come along, while Brawn's teams have always excelled and even dominated. Furthermore, Ross Brawn is a much better tutor to a talent of Lewis' magnitude, while Whitmarsh isn't.

A very cunning move from Hamilton which I'm sure will pay off.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Mercedes are almost definitely going to be world champions soon and have an amazing back room staff. They'll have the advantage of thei own engine in 2014 as they are the best in the business and McLaren traditionally struggle when new rule changes come along, while Brawn's teams have always excelled and even dominated. Furthermore, Ross Brawn is a much better tutor to a talent of Lewis' magnitude, while Whitmarsh isn't.

A very cunning move from Hamilton which I'm sure will pay off.

Hamilton made the move mostly for bigger money which he has admitted to be a big reason for the move. Mercedes won't win next year I'm sure of that. What happens in the future in Formula One is pretty impossible to predict.

Hamilton made the move mostly for bigger money which he has admitted to be a big reason for the move. Mercedes won't win next year I'm sure of that. What happens in the future in Formula One is pretty impossible to predict.

Of course money was a factor and that always will be. But this isn't just a case of moving to where the money is. It's a gamble in which the pay packet swings the deal.

Mercedes will certainly not be where they are now for very much longer. Hamilton, Costa, Brawn, Illmore engineering...it's hard to see how Mercedes wont be a front running team soon.

Most F1 drivers seem obsessed with wealth hence the fact that most base themselves in tax havens. Lewis is besotted with the idea of making more money, lets not beat around the bush. No different to any footballer who joined City, follow the money and it usually ends up coming good anyway.

Archived