Ward in Striker role

North_Stand_Ram

Last season when Ward played up top he looked totally out of his depth, weak, and didn't offer as much as when he was on the wing. On the wing in my opinion he was always a bright spark but most of the time had no end delivery. I went to Wolves and the Watford and he's been fantastic. Looks completly different. Pace, wits, and fantastic dribbling and attacking play and was arguably MOTM in both. Getting 3 assists and a goal certainly proved that. Could the Sammon/Ward partnership be like Commons and Hulse? I personally think our strike force is looking at its best since relegation. Tyson and Theo offer something different off the bench and young Mason can also so a shift.

All looking positive 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope so mate, we haven't really had a partnership since hulse and commons and think that worked really well and hopefully ward and sammon can form a decent partnership, also they think we have some good options from the bench in theo and Tyson, quite impressed with all our striking options.

If Ward knew went to keep it simple he'd be as good as a lot of PL wingers.

Sometimes he annoys me when we're wanting to keep possession because there's clearly no opening and he runs into a dead end or he shoots from 35 yards when the odds are stacked against him.

v Wolves though he cut out those bad bits and was a real team player and threat.

Don't know how better to use his talent than on the wing. He's just a natural winger. Did he ever play there before Derby?

On his day he's not far behind Snodgrass (who's like 100% reliable on deliveries into dangerous areas), Sinclair and Nathan Dyer. They've looked good in the PL. He might never be Adam Johnson or Nani but improve his decision making and we've got one of the best in this division easily!!

Ive only really seen him in one game this season.

But was quite impressed.

Whenever Clough played him down the middle last season, even just for part of a game, he looked woeful.

That said, I think all of our so called forwards will look better with Salmon as a partner.

We've needed a decent strong CF who can hold it up for a long time now.

am i the only person to not really ward that highly? I couldn't believe in some of the Sunday papers that they gave him 'star player'

Yes, you're the only one.

Ward doesn't always deliver, but he always looks a threat.

That's why he's in the Championship, not the Premiership. I'm glad he is.

As for his best position, I like him wide. But if NC wants him floating around behind Sammon, that works for me too. My only worry is that Sammon and Ward are 10-15 goals per season men. But if they, as a partnership, both get around that, and it allows Hughes, Bryson, Coutts and Hendrick 5 goals each, with Tyson and Robinson getting a few off the bench and Keogh and Buxton contributing from set-pieces, I'd be thrilled with that..

Ward's a top Championship player, in short.

I was personally disappointed with Ward's input last season, he promised much but delivered little.

He's had a brilliant start to the season, almost eclipsed his assist total for last season and has already scored a goal. However, it's taken him ten chances on target to score that goal so there's still room for improvement. He had loads of chances against Wolves but didn't put one away.

Plenty of the season left for him to bag a few though.

I was very encouraged by the Sammon and Ward partnership against watford. It's early days but I think Sammon has the ability to bring ward into play a lot more in the second striker position. Either directly through flick ons and holding the ball up or by running the CBs ragged and providing ward space by pulling them about.

Noticed it nearly came off a couple of times and this will only get better. Really like ward as a player but he needs more goals. Hopefully Sammon can help him out.

• 2 weeks later...

That's Ward.

If his decision making was consistent he'd be playing in the Premiership.

He has games where you think we have the best player in the Championship.

He has games where he is a mixed bag

He has games where he is disruptive and greedy.

Makes good decisions 6/10 times. Unfortunately theres no way of predicting which games he's going to do what.

Could be worse. Could be Zaha. Talented, but stupid.

I too don't rate him that highly, five assists and four goals from getting on for 40 games last season is poor for a supposedly creative player and certainly does not make him an effective wide player. I think he is too lightweight and makes poor decisions to be a top championship striker, maybe the coaching staff are working on these aspects. He makes a nuisance of himself to defenders but with little end product I don't think this is enough if we want to be top 6.

how did he play yesterday then?

First half was very quiet.

Second half he had the full backs pants round his ankles, beat him on so many occasions but as most posters have said his final ball was poor.

I remember one good cross in the second half which deserved someones head on it, unfortunately it went straight across goal and was left for Doyle to volley in to row Z!

Archived