Disillusioned

zaragozaram

I don´t think I have ever been as disillusioned with football as I am tonight. What hope is there of Derby, or (insert any number of clubs) of competing at the highest level again when Premeirship clubs are throwing money around like they are. Comparable clubs, in terms or size, stature etc. Spending millions on players, signing 12-13 players in the window, We have no chance.

I am not anti-board or anti-Clough, I quite like the way we are buying or promoting youth, but we are so far off the radar financially that I cannot see us ever mounting a sustained challenge in the top division again.

Ooh, I see QPR have signed another player. Jeeez.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me I just accept what we are and just look to how we can do a bit at a time. Keeps me going. There are clubs who come from nothing and go right up through the ranks. Swansea and Blackpool are clubs we all take seriously now.

If you believe this FFP thing then we should just have to bide our time. All I see is threats to stop Leicester and QPR playing in Europe and Man City being sponsored by Oil.Com for £7trillion.

It's a crap game.

It's easier once you accept what we are and hope to build on it. There's loads of clubs like us.

I have this gut wrenching feeling that the Jim Smith years were my glory days. Becoming a Sunderland seems miles away. And that seems only slightly less boring.

Or you can spend your time praying for a Arabian Prince to decide Derby are his club. He could be a fraud. He could be genuine. He could arrive tomorrow. Or never.

We are what we are.

I have this gut wrenching feeling that the Jim Smith years were my glory days. Becoming a Sunderland seems miles away. And that seems only slightly less boring.

i fear you are right, What I wouldn´t give for another Stimac, Eranio, Biaino, Wanchope, Asanovic. Even a Laursen would do!!

I must admit that Sharp going to Forest did irritate me a little, not so much that it's Forest but that he's someone we were after for a while, and a loan wouldn't cost that much...I'm hoping that we can pull something out the bag in the next hour, but we won't. What can you do about it? We've got a better squad than last year, and on our day we can match any team. That's the way this topsy-turvy way this league works, last season we won four out of six against relegated sides, yet were 3-0 down at HT against Barnsley. We just have to hope that 'our day' comes around often enough.

Besides, there's been enough examples of teams who've gambled recklessly on promotion and failed, and enough teams with limited resources who've miraculously got promoted. A decent season on a shoestring budget isn't out of the question. All the same, a good striker or attacking midfielder on loan would be nice...

imo, this whole FFP thing. The whole levelling the playing field...

Who gives a toss about Barnsley v Crystal Palace 3pm on a Saturday.

No one. There's no money in that. Barnsley will get what, 13,000 people go to watch that. I bet treble that number of Barnsley fans have paid Mr Sky Sports instead and will sit down to watch Man City v Fulham at 4pm on a Sunday.

That's all anybody wants. Man City/Chelsea at 4pm on a Sunday.

Nobody gives a fook about Barnsley's plight.

This FFP isn't going to come in and say 'Whoooooaa! This isn't fair on Peterborough United!'.

It's like a game of poker. You need a fortune to buy a seat at the table. Nobody will buy that place for you. You'll be sat in the back room playing solitaire until Mr FFP throws you a fiver.

Leicester will get there eventually. QPR will too. Keep throwing money at a problem and people will laugh. But if these teams really do have money to keep throwing and throwing they'll do alright.

We can only cling to the same hope that those 13,000 Barnsley fans cling to.

Platini and his FFP might be a nice suggestion that helps him sleep at night but I doubt Man City are worried about Derby just yet. I doubt Leicester will worry about being banned from Europe for 2 years.

I know about the other big threats. But money talks loudest.

4pm Sunday. That's where the big poker game is. I hope Blackpool can give me some hope and get promoted by only doing things Derby can do realistically.

This is all my opinion ofcourse. I'm not trying to pass it off as fact.

All I can say is, and no offense meant, anyone happy with our current situation, is very,very,very ,very, easily satisfied.

Why?

What do you expect?

If you've got a bottomless end of £££ then hurry up and buy DCFC and start pumping it in Smiffy, until something like that happens, the plans pretty good with the current owners.

Sharpe and coppinger in at florest... Good moves in the last throws of the market... We can't we do that? 1.2 for Sharpe loan with permanent deal might have been better than put

Soton signed him for £1.8m in January. Perhaps they want their money back and we haven't got it.

It´s not about Billy Sharp or Florist (good bit of business mind)

Its about teams like Stoke, Qpr, Fulham, Southampton, West Ham, Swansea, who are like for like teams with Derby imo. Look at the money they are spending, and then look at us. Yes it might go pear shaped for them, but in all probability when FFP comes in they will be mid table Prem sides reinvesting the Sky gazillions into sustaining their position. In the meantime where will we be? In comparison, not even on the same footballing planet.

It´s depressing

What are you doing differently?

Posting it on a football forum?

I'd love to know what you propose.

I don't have to do anything about it, thats not the point, the point is I don't flucking agree or like it, and I have the right to say so and also have the right to question yours, or anyone elses opinions, so do you.

I wish The Yanks and Clough and his deputies would get out of Dodge on the next Stagecoach. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Please don't ask who I would have in their place, I don't care, just so long as they,all of them are an improvement

I agree with Smiffy. Our owners have fallen way short, particularly in mind of the initial crap they spouted when they came in. I'm not buying into their plan B or C or whatever it is. My estimation of Derby as a whole club has plummeted since the American takeover, I honestly see us with as much (or as little) chance as getting out of this league as Barnsley or Palace. I don't see the vision myself, I just see us as f**king skint with two fingers crossed.

Archived