Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Some reassurance (I think) from Owen Bradley...

Owen Bradley ‏@OwenBradley 28m

#Dcfcfans need to chill out about the Stephen Thompson quotes re Johnny Russell; of course Celtic could still make a bid, ANY team could ...

It's not really reassurance, just Owen Bradley clearly has his testicles firmly attached to his body...unlike a lot of Derby fans who are squealing like 12 years old girls at a Justin Bieber concert. ffs.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The former Scotland Under-21 forward is due at Pride Park on Monday for a medical after agreeing terms with the Championship side.

United accepted a £750,000 bid for the 23-year-old on Wednesday but rumours of Celtic interest in the player persist.

However, Thompson says he has yet to receive a formal offer from Parkhead but admits that with Derby deal still to be finalised, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions could yet swoop.

He told Press Association Sport: "Until everything is signed and sealed, nothing is concluded - but we have agreed terms with Derby County.

"I know their chief executive Sam Rush has spoken to Johnny's agent and they are pretty close to agreeing terms. But he has to go there for a medical on Monday, so you never know. Anything can happen in this game.

"There has been a lot of speculation but there has been no other approaches to us."

Asked if he had heard from Celtic, the United chief said: "Not a thing. I'm not particularly expecting anything from them either. But I will never be surprised in this game.

"I don't know if this is all just speculation coming from the west (regarding Celtic's interest). But no other offers have come in.

However, we have seen it before when someone is going somewhere for a medical and then there is an about turn and they go somewhere else.

"Until it happens it is not complete." - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/dundee-uniteds-stephen-thompson-its-not-too-late-for-celtic-to-buy-johnny-russell.1370607092

Sounds like the chairmen wants another team to bid

But a team are not going to pay over what we paid if ours got accepted.

No one else was bidding. If Celtic bid 700k and matched our bid would they accept? Probably not, due to them being in the same league and Russell would play against them next season.

Russell is ours IMO.

If Celtic bid 700k and matched our bid would they accept? Probably not, due to them being in the same league and Russell would play against them next season.

I agree with that, why would they accept a bid at the same price for a rival team? Don't make sense, unless they really like Russell and they'll do what he wants to do, which I'm pretty sure he would want to go to Celtic. 

What's interesting to me is that Sam Rush is obviously a very well connected man and been in and around the senior players agent network for a long time.

If this deal falls through now because of Mr Viola playing silly beggars then SR stands to be publically humiliated and will undoubtedly get a lot of stick from fans (regardless of whether any of this is his fault). Coming on the back of the Baptiste deal collapsing I think he is in danger of losing all credibility.

On that basis I expect there is a lot of hard ball being played behind the scenes. Viola and Russell may well make a few extra quid but long term I think a last minute change of heart would be disastrous for the lad's career

What's interesting to me is that Sam Rush is obviously a very well connected man and been in and around the senior players agent network for a long time.

If this deal falls through now because of Mr Viola playing silly beggars then SR stands to be publically humiliated and will undoubtedly get a lot of stick from fans (regardless of whether any of this is his fault). Coming on the back of the Baptiste deal collapsing I think he is in danger of losing all credibility.

On that basis I expect there is a lot of hard ball being played behind the scenes. Viola and Russell may well make a few extra quid but long term I think a last minute change of heart would be disastrous for the lad's career

What baptiste deal collapse........there never was a deal.

No he doesn't stand to be publicly humiliated. The club haven't even announced that we've bid for him. They've kept quite, its the fans and media that are bigging it up. Also, like RamNut said, we didn't have a deal in place for Baptiste, he was just one of our preferred targets, and a target that the club openly admitted would be difficult.

Archived