Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, i'm not impressed at all by what his agent said...basically encouraging other clubs to make an offer.

Doubt Nige and Sam will be too impressed either but they can't really say too much if they want Russell enough.

Just hope other clubs don't come in!

The former Scotland Under-21 forward is due at Pride Park on Monday for a medical after agreeing terms with the Championship side.

United accepted a £750,000 bid for the 23-year-old on Wednesday but rumours of Celtic interest in the player persist.

However, Thompson says he has yet to receive a formal offer from Parkhead but admits that with Derby deal still to be finalised, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions could yet swoop.

He told Press Association Sport: "Until everything is signed and sealed, nothing is concluded - but we have agreed terms with Derby County.

"I know their chief executive Sam Rush has spoken to Johnny's agent and they are pretty close to agreeing terms. But he has to go there for a medical on Monday, so you never know. Anything can happen in this game.

"There has been a lot of speculation but there has been no other approaches to us."

Asked if he had heard from Celtic, the United chief said: "Not a thing. I'm not particularly expecting anything from them either. But I will never be surprised in this game.

"I don't know if this is all just speculation coming from the west (regarding Celtic's interest). But no other offers have come in.

However, we have seen it before when someone is going somewhere for a medical and then there is an about turn and they go somewhere else.

"Until it happens it is not complete." - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/dundee-uniteds-stephen-thompson-its-not-too-late-for-celtic-to-buy-johnny-russell.1370607092

The former Scotland Under-21 forward is due at Pride Park on Monday for a medical after agreeing terms with the Championship side.

United accepted a £750,000 bid for the 23-year-old on Wednesday but rumours of Celtic interest in the player persist.

However, Thompson says he has yet to receive a formal offer from Parkhead but admits that with Derby deal still to be finalised, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions could yet swoop.

He told Press Association Sport: "Until everything is signed and sealed, nothing is concluded - but we have agreed terms with Derby County.

"I know their chief executive Sam Rush has spoken to Johnny's agent and they are pretty close to agreeing terms. But he has to go there for a medical on Monday, so you never know. Anything can happen in this game.

"There has been a lot of speculation but there has been no other approaches to us."

Asked if he had heard from Celtic, the United chief said: "Not a thing. I'm not particularly expecting anything from them either. But I will never be surprised in this game.

"I don't know if this is all just speculation coming from the west (regarding Celtic's interest). But no other offers have come in.

However, we have seen it before when someone is going somewhere for a medical and then there is an about turn and they go somewhere else.

"Until it happens it is not complete." - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/dundee-uniteds-stephen-thompson-its-not-too-late-for-celtic-to-buy-johnny-russell.1370607092

As a few have suggested, we could bring forward his medical or even fly the necessary medics/physios over there to do it and it all be concluded by tomorrow not Monday. Celtic would surely realise this too. They know the selling price and what to bid so surely of they were interested why would they risk any delay?

I just can't get my head around if anyone wanted him, why wait until he's agreed personal terms and a medical set up for Monday to bid? 

That's why I don't think they'll be any other bids in for him.

The only reason I can think of is, if they bid at the last minute and sort out personal terms, there's very little time for another team to come in and jump them. Kind of like bidding on Ebay when people bid at the very last second.

Today was going fine until that interview came out. You don't see us talking about the subject out of respect for Dundee United and Johnny Russell but Dundee United seem to think that this is acceptable to blurt out what is happening step by step.

Today was going fine until that interview came out. You don't see us talking about the subject out of respect for Dundee United and Johnny Russell but Dundee United seem to think that this is acceptable to blurt out what is happening step by step.

I can't remember you complaining about this when the informations being blurted was in our favour...

Who's playing up front then?

Ward will play wide left with Russell playing just off either Sammon or Martin. As Martin played every game towards the end of last season and Sammon was dropped for a couple (? or maybe one), I'd say that Martin is currently ahead of Sammon. However, that could easily change during pre-season.

I reckon our first game line up will be

---------------------Grant-------------------

Freeman---Keogh--Buxton---Forsyth

Bryson---Hendrick---Hughes---Ward

---------------------Russell-----------------

----------------------Martin------------------

Legzdins

Gjokaj

Hoganson

Davies

Coutts

Jacobs

Sammon

Brafyord sold, no takers for Leggy and a young centre-half coming in after a few weeks on loan from a PL team to tide us over until Barker or O'Brien return.

Could it just be rehashed quotes from the interview from yesterday?

Archived