Regional weird food?

Boycie

Working in Leek yesterday and was forced to eat a double cheese and bacon "oatcake"

It's a pancake I said, to a look of disdain from the cafe owner.

Apparently, they don't make these elsewhere?

Any other local food that others have never heard of?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southerners in America love Grits, Grits are ffing disgustingly weird. Also Midwesterns tend to put Ranch dressing on EVERYTHING! I don't but it's quite prevalent even all the way to the start of the Great Plains out here. Oh and Texas BBQ, BBQ was meant to be pork/ribs. Not beef/brisket Texas! #Champion of Kansas City BBQ

Working in Leek yesterday and was forced to eat a double cheese and bacon "oatcake"

It's a pancake I said, to a look of disdain from the cafe owner.

Apparently, they don't make these elsewhere?

Any other local food that others have never heard of?

Sold all over North staffs, mainly a stoke thing but i have seen them in t' big asda at Spondon.

I reckon every area has it's own stew or hot pot. Up here it's North Staffordshire Lobby and I know there's a Derbyshire one which is probably exactly the same as AndyinLiverpool's Scouse and every other one in this Country. In fact it annoys me, the word lobby makes me cringe.

Oatcakes on the other hand 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I reckon every area has it's own stew or hot pot. Up here it's North Staffordshire Lobby and I know there's a Derbyshire one which is probably exactly the same as AndyinLiverpool's Scouse and every other one in this Country. In fact it annoys me, the word lobby makes me cringe.

Oatcakes on the other hand 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Scouse is utterly unremarkable and, as you say, completely indistinguishable from any other concoction of meat and vegetables.

The fried cheese I lived on for over a decade in the Czech Republic, by contrast, is phenomenal.

Scouse is utterly unremarkable and, as you say, completely indistinguishable from any other concoction of meat and vegetables.

The fried cheese I lived on for over a decade in the Czech Republic, by contrast, is phenomenal.

How do you fry cheese? Wunt it just melt?

How do you fry cheese? Wunt it just melt?

Roll it in breadcrumbs and deep fry (or shallow fry, depends on resources available) it for a matter of seconds. Served with chips and a dollop of something called 'Tatarska' sauce, which is not really tatar sauce.

Right healthy and no mistake.

Roll it in breadcrumbs and deep fry (or shallow fry, depends on resources available) it for a matter of seconds. Served with chips and a dollop of something called 'Tatarska' sauce, which is not really tatar sauce.

Right healthy and no mistake.

Might as well mainline lard straight into an artery. Probably nice though...............

Archived