Now that's what I'm talking about....

drgoodspeak

In for two players? Supposedly beating Cardiff and Leeds to targets?

Finally.

It would have been really hard to have not been p1ssed off with the Shackell deal and kept faith, and if I'm honest, I didn't.

But if the Keogh and White deals come off (and if they're any good), I'll have to hold my hands up for jumping the gun.

Maybe Clough and Glick could take some satisfaction from knowing all along what the plan was and that we've been shown to be the monkeys we are.

Newsnow is all of a sudden a bit more exciting.

P.S. Still don't think Keogh was always the player they had in mind!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im still worried that for 2 seasons + Clough has been going on about the need for strikers, players who can put it in the net.

Performances and results back this up.

Yet year on year the 1 million type fees keep going on defenders Barker, Shackell, now Keogh.

I just dont think any of our current forwards are consistant enough. Id gladly get rid of theo, tyson, savies, ward the lot for a proven experienced CF. Perhaps a decent target man could actually provide a decent partner to all of the aforementoned.

Until Derbys options change upfront, I can see a very similar season to the last one.

Im still worried that for 2 seasons + Clough has been going on about the need for strikers, players who can put it in the net.

Performances and results back this up.

Yet year on year the 1 million type fees keep going on defenders Barker, Shackell, now Keogh.

I just dont think any of our current forwards are consistant enough. Id gladly get rid of theo, tyson, savies, ward the lot for a proven experienced CF. Perhaps a decent target man could actually provide a decent partner to all of the aforementoned.

Until Derbys options change upfront, I can see a very similar season to the last one.

None of our current strikers have the necessary consistency or dare I say it quality to put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis so the next step has to be to pay similar money to the Keogh signing get a quality forward in, someone who can be relied upon to bang em in game after game. I realise that everyone is after the same type of player but I think that now the club have taken positive action in signing Keogh, trying to get in some lower league fodder/loanee striker signed for peanuts will not cut it. We have shown we can outmuscle more ambitious/wealthy clubs in getting Keogh so lets get out there and sign that 20-25 goal a season striker, and pay the going rate. If we don't we'll struggle to get out of the bottom half of the table.

Yeah but hardly any players get to 20-25 goals in a season in the championship unless they have something about the ie lambert last season correct me if I'm wrong but he got 20 in a very good Southampton side.

This 20-25 nonsense is all hypothetical a more realistic aim would be try 15-20 if we get theo and a new striker on that well be close to the playoffs.

Oh didn't someone once say you build a great team from the back!!

We now have a defense of

Brayford, Naylor, Buxton, Keogh, Barker, Obrien and Roberts.

All except Roberts contracted to 2014 or 2015 and when they're contracts expire are young enough to be given another 2-3 year deal.

If we get White as well you can add a young left back to that.

If White comes we may well have our defense sorted out for the next couple of years.

How much Nigel wants this striker is up for debate, the amount of times Clough said this in the last few weeks of last season makes me think it's more of a case of motivating the strikers we already have.

Clough seems to use the media for the players as much as the fans; Clough often went for VERY conservative points targets in the press around Christmas, but behind the doors he was saying something different, wanting the take the pressure off the players.

The signings we have already made also suggests we're looking to move Ward and Tyson further forward; we know Hughes will be on the scene out wide, but with Coutts, Jacobs and possibly Caton giving us options there, I think Tyson and Ward will be found centrally far more often next season.

If Theo learns to control the ball, we're absolutely laughing, but we probably do need another striker.

I'd be surprised if we get a striker in now to be honest I'd say there looking more for a left sided centre back/ left back while publically stating we need a striker to throw of any attention to what were really after.

I'd also bet s.davies will be here come start of the season and play then sold in January ala commons. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Davies scored 12 in 26 last season so i'd be more than grateful if he stayed, i dont really see us needing another striker unless he leaves. I bet that Ward could be just as good as Le Fondre given the chance. As for Tyson, a good run in the side with no injuries and he may well find his feet.

Archived