I think yanks are finally learning

B4ev6is

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the manner in which you use these terms, not the words themselves.

Nobody uses the term "Yank" with affection when referring to our board and I for one don't like it.

The meaning behind the words is going to be the same either way, no matter how you frame it.

I've never used the term 'Yank' as a derogatory term for an American - If I felt compelled to do so then I'd frame it with a 'fooking' or 'b@$t@rd' - that would be what gave my meaning away, not the term 'Yank'. To me 'Yank' is no different to 'Kiwi', 'Aussie', etc. I also wouldn't be inherently offended by any American calling me a Limey.

The meaning behind the words is going to be the same either way, no matter how you frame it.

I've never used the term 'Yank' as a derogatory term for an American - If I felt compelled to do so then I'd frame it with a 'fooking' or 'b@$t@rd' - that would be what gave my meaning away, not the term 'Yank'. To me 'Yank' is no different to 'Kiwi', 'Aussie', etc. I also wouldn't be inherently offended by any American calling me a Limey.

Me neither in 99 cases out of 100. But the use of the term in the original post isn't favourable. At times it's almost implied that the owners being 'yanks' is part of the problem, on this forum.

This isn't mamby-pambyism, there's worse things you can do and it's not out-wright racism. I'm just saying that the way the term is used and the connotations that come with it is not something I like to see or that I'm proud of from our fans.

The word itself is an irrelevance as those who use it negatively probably don't know what it means.

Me neither in 99 cases out of 100. But the use of the term in the original post isn't favourable. At times it's almost implied that the owners being 'yanks' is part of the problem, on this forum.

This isn't mamby-pambyism, there's worse things you can do and it's not out-wright racism. I'm just saying that the way the term is used and the connotations that come with it is not something I like to see or that I'm proud of from our fans.

The word itself is an irrelevance as those who use it negatively probably don't know what it means.

Well Yanks is probably preferable to the extension 'Septics'. Surely that would be more derogatory! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Archived