Platini is a wally

Shake n Bake

June 7, 2012 07:09

Uefa president Michel Platini says that any players who walk off the pitch at Euro 2012 due to racial abuse will be booked.

A BBC Panorama programme highlighted racism incidents at grounds in Poland and Ukraine, who co-host Euro 2012.

Manchester City and Italy striker Mario Balotelli threatened to walk off the pitch if he believed he was a victim.

But Platini said: "It's a yellow card. It's not a player - Mr Balotelli - who's in charge of refereeing."

Platini insists officials will deal with any racist incidents that occur during the tournament, which begins on Friday.

"It's the referee who takes these decisions. Referees can finish the game. They have this power in case of racism," Platini told the BBC sports editor David Bond.

"That is, I think, the best way to protect the game against racism.

"The referee has been given advice and he can stop the game if there are problems."

Platini dismissed suggestions his reputation would be tarnished if there is racial abuse at Euro 2012.

"Are you joking? You think I am responsible for the racists in the rest of Europe or in England or in France?" he said.

Platini said Uefa had done a lot to tackle racisim, backing such initiatives as 'Never Again', but said he was "not responsible for society".

He added: "Society is not so easy. You have some problems and we have to organise these Euros from the beginning with some problems because these two countries never welcome so big an event in the past.

"It was a big challenge for Poland, big challenge for Ukraine, a big challenge for Uefa, and we have done our best."

Asked about the footage shown in Panorama's documentary, Platini said: "We are shocked about racists but we are trying to do something; we have to fight against that.

"I feel bad. Of course I feel bad because I am not a racist."

The 56-year-old former France international midfiedler also insisted the issue of racism is one that extends far beyond the two host nations of Euro 2012.

Platini, who has been Uefa president since January 2007, said: "If you want to have a programme on racism you can go everywhere now because there is an increase in the nationalists in many, many countries. It is not just a fact only in Poland and Ukraine.

"You can go in France, United States, in England and you will find the problem of racism. You have more nationalists in many, many countries in east of Europe -that is true."

The Uefa president has previously criticised the host nations, describing Ukrainian hoteliers as "bandits" for the rising cost of accommodation and bemoaning the quality of pitches in Poland.

The Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych, has downplayed fears over racist attacks in Ukraine, saying hooligans were known to the authorities and security services "will be watching all the matches closely".

BBC © 2012

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO he has a point, take for example Italy are losing by the odd goal in the semi final against Ukraine with a few minutes left, and Mario Balotelli and the team walks off due to Racist comments but its actually Italian fans who do this, It could five any fan the opportunity to get the game called off.

I would just wish that we left the politics, the racism, the rio story and everything else to one side, and focus on the start of what I hope to be a great tournament.

IMO he has a point, take for example Italy are losing by the odd goal in the semi final against Ukraine with a few minutes left, and Mario Balotelli and the team walks off due to Racist comments but its actually Italian fans who do this, It could five any fan the opportunity to get the game called off.

I would just wish that we left the politics, the racism, the rio story and everything else to one side, and focus on the start of what I hope to be a great tournament.

But the game would not be called off, Italy would forefeit the game.

The game would only be called off if the referee asked the players to leave the pitch.

Would any other workman face disciplinary action for leaving his workplace due to being subjected to racial abuse? No, so why should a footballer not be able to make a decision whether he is prepared to stand there and tolerate it or do something about it?

Well where to begin with this illtimed and misjudged statement. Firstly Nationalism doesn't have to include racism, one can easily argue Mr Cameron is a nationalist but he certainly is not a racist. Second of all booking players because they are walking off the pitch due to racist abuse by the crowd is an obscene idea. If any player is subject to racist abuse from the crowd, not only should that player walk off but both teams should walk off and refuse to play the game.

But the game would not be called off, Italy would forefeit the game.

The game would only be called off if the referee asked the players to leave the pitch.

Would any other workman face disciplinary action for leaving his workplace due to being subjected to racial abuse? No, so why should a footballer not be able to make a decision whether he is prepared to stand there and tolerate it or do something about it?

I take your point, I just think it would make more sense for the player to walk up to the referee and ask him to lead the players off whilst it is dealt with, just my opionion though :-)

"It was a big challenge for Poland, big challenge for Ukraine, a big challenge for Uefa, and we have done our best."

Well your best is not good enough if players are coming out and stating that they are not completly comfortable playing over there!

[url=

I can see what you're saying there.

The racism in Poland is sickening....Can we havea whip round to apy for the counselling these poor cameroonian lads must be needing. Did those coloured fans escape alive?

Which colour? But anyway...

Yes, when the BBC highlights a small minority of Polish hooligans, racists and antisemitism us simple folk from Britain tag everyone from Poland in the same light because we're not capable of thinking beyond what we're told.

The whole defensive thing is hypocritical anyway. Some Polish people don't want to be known as racist etc.. but are now looking over at England and thinking we all assume the whole of Poland is a racist nation. Throwing insults in this direction calling English people violent, basing this on the past of hooliganism in England. Spot the irony?

Why label everyone as the same, why feel like you've been labeled? The BBC highlighted an issue, that is all. It's those that were shown that will bear the brunt of the shock.

However, the graffiti in Warsaw train station should go, if it hasn't already. Why it was allowed to remain in the first place boggles mind.

As for the 'play to the referee' thing, so it should be. It's how it's always been regardless of what's happened be it an injury or racist chants.

Archived