Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

barker & shacks will be highest, croft will have a decent wage especially as he never plays

we have a very good set of youngsters, ball, ob, bennett, hughes will prob be prem quality

while [size=4]shak, barker, bryson, fielding & brayford already are [/size]so major posotives

Expect Citey to come calling then, give over

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

barker & shacks will be highest, croft will have a decent wage especially as he never plays

we have a very good set of youngsters, ball, ob, bennett, hughes will prob be prem quality

while shak, barker, bryson, fielding & brayford already are so major posotives

Then why did we only finish mid table last year ?

Well people didn't believe me last year when I told them Addison was gone, we were going to play 442 etc. I've spoken to them before and I was with one of the coaches for over 4 hours. They are quite open when you talk to them, i don't think any of it is a big secret. I've been on this and the DET forum for over 10 years and it's not like I come on often with any info.

I trust emjlc and it is similar to what i've heard in all honesty, again, not that I get a ton of information but what I do get is depressing and in the long term turns out to be true.

and from what I've heard, we are certainly struggling to compete financially at this level.

emjlc02 was spot on about Riggott as well even tho I doubted him at the time, (closed the thread if I remember correctly 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons//ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> ), in my defence tho we do get a stupid amount of people in the know on here that nothing ever comes of. It was also when the DET had recently shut down and we were taking in the immigrants, you could say I stopped emjlc02 at passport control, checked his bags then stamped his passport.

while shak, barker, bryson, fielding & brayford already are so major posotives

Didnt think someone could talk that much **** in such a short space. Obviously they can.

Leicester have reportedly just sold Matt Mills to Bolton for £2m and he had fallen out with Pearson so had to go.

We should be aiming for much more than that for Shackell, if that fee is correct, as we have no need to sell

funny people

we dont have loads of money but we are being run from a board and management perspective well, gradual progression and not spending what we dont have

question

would people prefer a succesful club for 3 years and then no club or severe financial hardship

or

a club that builds year on year improving the squad while being financially realistic?

if people are that unhappy with the board and manager why dont u support someone else?

I'd prefer something like this...

INT - DCFC BOARD ROOM, PRE SEASON MEETING - DAY

Andy Appleby, Nigel Clough and various other board members sit at a conference table. In the middle of it is a speaker phone, at the other end of the line is the clubs financers, The Yanks.

Appleby - We'll despense with the minutes of the last meeting for now. First on the agenda let's gather stock and see where we are at the moment team-wise. Nigel?

Nigel - Thank you Mr Chairman. As you know we're going to have to sell our best striker for 'family reasons' so we'll need to replace him. We'll also need to sign some full back cover as we have nobody to replace Gareth Roberts if he's injured, same applies to Brayford now Paul Green is leaving on a free. Having looked at where we finished last season and where we need to improve I'd like a reletively small transfer pot of, say, £2m set aside in case we're unable to move these players out the door so we can source their replacements. I believe with the addition of 3-4 players we can at the very least improve of last seasons position and possibly sustain a play off challenge. Whadaya say?

Yank #1 - £2m sounds a little steep Nigel. You know we subsidise the club's debt each year as it is.

Nigel - I don't need tens of millions of pounds in order to compete. But just enough to replace the players we have out going with better. I've been in football for 25 years so I know what I'm talking about and wouldn't ask for these funds if I didn't belive we had a good chance of improving.

Yank #2 - I've heard we've had a number of offers for Jayden Shaqeal, can't you use the money from selling him?

Nigel - JASON SHACKELL, is curretnly a our most reliable defender and has a number of years of experience at this level. I'd rather not have to sell a dominent centre half as one of our main strengths last season was our defence. If you're tough to break down and not conceeding goals you're always in with a chance. If we sell him, we're left with only two recognised central defenders and even though I could find players with his ability, his experience is hard to replace and costly.

Please gentlemen, give me the relatively small amount and I'll be able to keep Shackell, buy in a good goal scorer and keep us moving forward to the promised land of the Premier League and making you a sizeable profit when you sell up.

The next several seconds pass in slow motion. Nigel clenches his fists in anticipation, Appleby chews his nails, the tea lady dishing out Custard Creams picks her nose.

Yank # 1 - Sure why not. We'll wire the money across ASAP.

Yank # 2 - We'll trust your judgement Nigel. Good luck, happy hunting.

The line goes dead. Nigel stands and punches the air with excitement. High-fiving the tea lady he strides out the room.

I'd prefer something like this...

INT - DCFC BOARD ROOM, PRE SEASON MEETING - DAY

Andy Appleby, Nigel Clough and various other board members sit at a conference table. In the middle of it is a speaker phone, at the other end of the line is the clubs financers, The Yanks.

Appleby - We'll despense with the minutes of the last meeting for now. First on the agenda let's gather stock and see where we are at the moment team-wise. Nigel?

Nigel - Thank you Mr Chairman. As you know we're going to have to sell our best striker for 'family reasons' so we'll need to replace him. We'll also need to sign some full back cover as we have nobody to replace Gareth Roberts if he's injured, same applies to Brayford now Paul Green is leaving on a free. Having looked at where we finished last season and where we need to improve I'd like a reletively small transfer pot of, say, £2m set aside in case we're unable to move these players out the door so we can source their replacements. I believe with the addition of 3-4 players we can at the very least improve of last seasons position and possibly sustain a play off challenge. Whadaya say?

Yank #1 - £2m sounds a little steep Nigel. You know we subsidise the club's debt each year as it is.

Nigel - I don't need tens of millions of pounds in order to compete. But just enough to replace the players we have out going with better. I've been in football for 25 years so I know what I'm talking about and wouldn't ask for these funds if I didn't belive we had a good chance of improving.

Yank #2 - I've heard we've had a number of offers for Jayden Shaqeal, can't you use the money from selling him?

Nigel - JASON SHACKELL, is curretnly a our most reliable defender and has a number of years of experience at this level. I'd rather not have to sell a dominent centre half as one of our main strengths last season was our defence. If you're tough to break down and not conceeding goals you're always in with a chance. If we sell him, we're left with only two recognised central defenders and even though I could find players with his ability, his experience is hard to replace and costly.

Please gentlemen, give me the relatively small amount and I'll be able to keep Shackell, buy in a good goal scorer and keep us moving forward to the promised land of the Premier League and making you a sizeable profit when you sell up.

The next several seconds pass in slow motion. Nigel clenches his fists in anticipation, Appleby chews his nails, the tea lady dishing out Custard Creams picks her nose.

Yank # 1 - Sure why not. We'll wire the money across ASAP.

Yank # 2 - We'll trust your judgement Nigel. Good luck, happy hunting.

The line goes dead. Nigel stands and punches the air with excitement. High-fiving the tea lady he strides out the room.

And then he woke up and found it was just a dream 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

emjlc02 was spot on about Riggott as well even tho I doubted him at the time, (closed the thread if I remember correctly 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> ), in my defence tho we do get a stupid amount of people in the know on here that nothing ever comes of. It was also when the DET had recently shut down and we were taking in the immigrants, you could say I stopped emjlc02 at passport control, checked his bags then stamped his passport.

Immigrants?

We added a touch of respectability. Your talking as if we came over like refugees on a raft. It was like Pearl Harbour. But instead of bombs it was intellect.

(snipped)

Nigel - Thank you Mr Chairman. As you know we're going to have to sell our best striker for 'family reasons' so we'll need to replace him. We'll also need to sign some full back cover as we have nobody to replace Gareth Roberts if he's injured, same applies to Brayford now Paul Green is leaving on a free.

We've already got Naylor as Brayford's backup.

Having looked at where we finished last season and where we need to improve I'd like a reletively small transfer pot of, say, £2m set aside in case we're unable to move these players out the door so we can source their replacements. I believe with the addition of 3-4 players we can at the very least improve of last seasons position and possibly sustain a play off challenge. Whadaya say?

If we don't sell Davies & Shackell who are we replacing?

Also as Davies is still under contract don't forget we'll have whatever we get for him towards any replacement.

Immigrants?

We added a touch of respectability. Your talking as if we came over like refugees on a raft. It was like Pearl Harbour. But instead of bombs it was intellect.

Behave, now we know that's not true, the only reason you lot are here is because you failed to meet the requirements set by the Come on you Rams forum and your applications for asylum were rejected

Behave, now we know that's not true, the only reason you lot are here is because you failed to meet the requirements set by the Come on you Rams forum and your applications for asylum were rejected

We'd been here 2mins and there you were with your little donation pot like an African orphan.

You didn't even have adverts!!

We'd been here 2mins and there you were with your little donation pot like an African orphan.

You didn't even have adverts!!

We were a happy little family till you lot arrived, £5 a month it cost me to keep a roof over our heads, you can add a 0 on to the end of that now plus vat, I rang Bob Geldof to see if he could organise some sort of charity event but got through to his voicemail, left a message but no reply. Gonna see if I can get one of those TV ad's....just £1 a week can......then I might be able to remove the ads you ungrateful sod.

We've already got Naylor as Brayford's backup.

If we don't sell Davies & Shackell who are we replacing?

Also as Davies is still under contract don't forget we'll have whatever we get for him towards any replacement.

Seeing as this is a work of fiction (I thought that was apparent with the OTT, unbeliveable ending) I have taken creative licence with my characters. As a result of being in football for 25 years Nigel didn't have the best of educations and as a result sometimes has trouble expressing his wishes. And with Yanks being a bunch of inbred colonials, they failed to pick up on the obvious grammatical error.

I merely wanted to point out the fact that I (and a fair few supporters) believe that retaining the services of our better players and having a small amount of investment in the team would result in a better team. I guess failed in my aims...

I merely wanted to point out the fact that I (and a fair few supporters) believe that retaining the services of our better players and having a small amount of investment in the team would result in a better team. I guess failed in my aims...

No it did, I agree. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Just best to have it accurate if possible.

im going to stand by my opinions & if people dont agree with me, they are entitled to their opinion

i will mention one thing, there is a difference between premiership quality and the likes of man city, man utd, etc

they are of the quality to play at a comfortable level within the premier league

i'm also hopeful that the board will release the funds to buy a striker who will do the job, but unfortunately am also aware of what would happen if we bought wrong so, unlikely we'll get someone proven in

To be fair, they did offer Commons the 15k a week wage package, so clearly the money is their for the right kind of players.

It`s easy to offer money when you know you don`t have to pay it out. By the time that contract offer was made he was allready on his way. Similar to when we offered £ 1.8 million for Hooper just after Celtic offered £2.4 million no real comitment to paying the money but it looks good to the fans.

Archived