Political correctness in the office/workplace

SillyBilly

Any of you guys have to put up with this all the time? I mean sometimes it just feels like you can't say anything which might even resemble an opinion without being branded some kind of prejudiced bigot. Tedious fence-sitters with nothing better to do than pull up anybody that might say something which upsets a cross-section of society. Yesterday, a few of us were debating some of the most arrogant professions/jobs where estate agents and recruitment consultants were mentioned before one nonce got very upset saying how we were stereotyping and its showing disrespect for people in those industries...I just give up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll have to sit me down and explain the difference between over sensitivity and political correctness I'm afraid.

It’s fairly easy to deal with. First of all you need to sit yourself down and consider the following question. Are you, or are you not, a boorish, insensitive, reactionary bigot who needs to spend more time in the company of other rednecks and knuckle draggers?

If the answer is ‘no’ then you are entitled to go ahead and smack the oversensitive idiot in the mouth. If the answer is ‘yes’ then you do exactly the same thing – but for very different reasons that I couldn’t possibly agree with.

It's like treading on a minefield sometimes, you do have to watch what you say. Every other day it seems like you can't say certain things.

Brainstorming - can't call it that now in case it offends people who have had strokes. My Dad's had 2 of em, is he offended? Is he eckers, it makes him laugh how ridiculous it is. The new phrases circulating are ' a thought shower' or 'mind mapping'. Bloody stupid it is.

I'm sure there's loads of other examples too.

Oh yeah - Christmas lights in certain areas have a taboo on them because the 'people in charge' think others who don't celebrate Christmas may be offended. Someone renamed it the Winter Festival illuminations.

A lot of the time, the people who don't celebrate it aren't offended at all but people think they have to act on their behalf. It's bonkers.

It's like treading on a minefield sometimes, you do have to watch what you say. Every other day it seems like you can't say certain things.

Brainstorming - can't call it that now in case it offends people who have had strokes. My Dad's had 2 of em, is he offended? Is he eckers, it makes him laugh how ridiculous it is. The new phrases circulating are ' a thought shower' or 'mind mapping'. Bloody stupid it is.

I'm sure there's loads of other examples too.

Oh yeah - Christmas lights in certain areas have a taboo on them because the 'people in charge' think others who don't celebrate Christmas may be offended. Someone renamed it the Winter Festival illuminations.

A lot of the time, the people who don't celebrate it aren't offended at all but people think they have to act on their behalf. It's bonkers.

yeah, there are loads of examples. they are just nearly all made up by right wing newspapers. i can't think of a single example i've ever witnessed ie not read in a clarkson/littlejohn column, of pc gone mad.

yeah, there are loads of examples. they are just nearly all made up by right wing newspapers. i can't think of a single example i've ever witnessed ie not read in a clarkson/littlejohn column, of pc gone mad.

I think it was the Sun which spectacularly claimed that some pubs had banned England shirts in case it offended Muslims. Yeright.

I have, in the place I used to work, they changed a nursery rhyme. Ba Ba white sheep have you any spots, yes sir yes sir I have lots, so as not to offend people with black skin. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> am I allowed to say black? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

I have, in the place I used to work, they changed a nursery rhyme. Ba Ba white sheep have you any spots, yes sir yes sir I have lots, so as not to offend people with black skin. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> am I allowed to say black? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Or maybe they just did it to change the words to an old song without any thoughts of whether or not "Ba ba black sheep" was offensive to blacks?

The one that made it to the national newspapers was just the nursery introducing all the different colours into the song, to teach the children them. They finished with baa baa rainbow sheep.

If people read the papers and feel the need to copy their ridiculous suggestions that's their paranoia at fault, not "political correctness".

Or maybe they just did it to change the words to an old song without any thoughts of whether or not "Ba ba black sheep" was offensive to blacks?

You'd think so wouldn't you? But no, not in this case. It was done in a formal way with the above reason given.

The one that made it to the national newspapers was just the nursery introducing all the different colours into the song, to teach the children them. They finished with baa baa rainbow sheep.

If people read the papers and feel the need to copy their ridiculous suggestions that's their paranoia at fault, not "political correctness".

I agree - the media have a lot to answer for in a lot of areas.

Archived