Talent vs Team Spirit

Toadbelly

Which is better if you don't have both?

Personally, I would take team spirit every time. A team with spirit is never out of the game and is more likely to go on a great run. Look at Sunderland...their team has not changed but since O'Neill took over, they have belief and are winning games. Newcastle are the same. To some degree you could argue that Tottenham are more a product of team spirit than talent...although they undeniably have a lot of talent also.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You definitely need both, you can have 11 of the best footballers ever to grace the game, if there attitude is piss poor and they don't to play as a team, they simply won't win shag all!

true talent doesn't come without effort, despite what anyone says!

Redknapp at Spurs took over when threatened with relegation. They still have a few players from then as well. The team spirit allows the players to play.

Derby have the team spirit now and it continues to build, however I think the talent will develop over time. The evidence is there, for people who watched the games against Leeds and WHU as I did would have seen some nice play mingled in with the desire to win. Against Hull by all accounts it was back to the wall and grind the result out which is what team spirit allows.

In respect of talent there is the signs of improvement. Fielding has had 3 brilliant games, the back four are forming strong partnership. In 5 games conceded 3 goals.

You then have the likes of Bennett, Ball, Hendrick, Hughes, OB and Thomas(striker in academy) all looking like they will develop into very promising players for the future.

Then on this Bryson is settling nicely along with Tyson showing against Leeds and WHU he will be a handful up front.

Rome was not built in a day. Derby is very much being built at the moment and I can see promosing signs and hope they all remain injury free for rest of season and have an excellent undisturbed preseason ready for a promotion push next yr

I don't understand this myth that creative players don't have a team spirit.. Of course you are going to get lazy ones, but they're rare..

There is no more of a spirit now with 10 triers and one creative player (Ward) than there was under George Burley when we had perhaps 6 triers and 5 creative players..

There's no such thing as finding the perfect mix.. If you can motivate 11 flair players they'd wipe the floor with 11 triers everyday of the week.. Some managers have a knack of getting the best out of their players, others sadly don't..

All the best teams have spirit.. It's not a magical thing.. Spurs aren't ahead of Liverpool and Arsenal because of their spirit, Spurs are ahead of them because they simply have a better first 11 with more quality that can win games..

Quality always comes through over spirit.. But then again that's at top level football..

I agree in principal regarding NPC level football.. 24 average teams, virtually anyone can go up with a huge slice of luck.. Though when that does happen and you don't improve your squad, you get destroyed by teams with genuine quality and come back down with 11 points.

Interesting Cumbrian, I would take Green over Commons every day. In fact, I would have sold Commons after about three games, lazy git. As for Modric vs Parker, Modric is hardly the slacker that Commons is. He may not be all that happy at Spurs but he gives his all on the field. A better comparison would be Parker vs Arshavin. I'll take Parker thanks :-)

You cannot really departmentalize a successful team like that. No team can be successful without a good work ethic (which is what I assume you mean), organisation and a level of talent relevant to the level that they play at.

You definitely need both, you can have 11 of the best footballers ever to grace the game, if there attitude is piss poor and they don't to play as a team, they simply won't win shag all!

true talent doesn't come without effort, despite what anyone says!

As the saying goes 'the more I practise the luckier I get'

Clough his opted for grafters over the more creative players who can excite. Cwyka Bueno and Commons and I guess Maguire. Ward is a grafter as well. Just as Commons learnt to graft he opted to move to Celtic. With our current small squad on a shoestring budget graft and team spirit can make you competative in this league. Good enough to scrape a play off spot at a push.

Archived