Food and fitness.

blackNwhites

Okay, next month I turn 30.

For the past year or so I've been umming and arring about keeping fit, I do a lot of walking and cycling but want to incorparate running and a bit of weight 'lifting' into a regime of sorts. Something to do everyday.

My bike is just a bog standard mountain bike, now't special, so not really good enough for everyday workouts. Good enough to get me from A to B though, which is important for me because everyone I know lives over 3 miles away. That's where walking comes in as well, sometimes I just wanna walk.

Anyway, there is no set program that I work to. It's just a random thing, whenever I go out basically.

I need a set regime. I can't afford the gym, but have weights and running shoes. Combined weight of weights, is only about 25kg, trust me, that's heavy enough at the moment.

My physique is one of very skinny. I also want to put weight on whilst keeping fit, or at least maintain my weight.

I'm 6ft and 11 stone.

Can anybody help me out, or direct me to the right web space?

Cheers.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have dumbells you can work almost every muscle in the body by doing a range of exercises. Start at a comfortable weight and work your way up. An exercise ball is also very useful for dumbell exercises. If you want to bulk up and gain muscle you might have to increase the amount of food you eat particularly the amount of protein. Protein supplements are good. I'd recommend myprotein.com

You'll be able to find good dumbell exercises on the internet. If you're doing it regular you might want to focus on one muscle group each workout.

To stay fit just carry on as you are, try to increase the distance you travel or decrease the time it takes you. Just don't over do it.

The main thing is to stay motivated and make sure exercise isn't boring!

Hope this helps!

Cheers pal very helpful.

Can't really afford to buy protein supplements, so basic foods are what I need.

Not really sure which ones though, like pasta and potatoes, I know nothing of carbs and proteins. What type of foods are best, and what do they contain? I suppose I could search that, but was hoping for extended advice that are tailored towards me. Bit of an arse like that.

So, carbs for stamina and protein for muscle. I know this now!

btw, don't want to become the hulk. Just fit and agile...?

You should be fine with what you've got really mate. High protein foods include chicken breast, tuna (probably the best but my personal least favourite food in the world) skimmed milk is good. I have a whey protein supplement, a 2.5kg bag cost me 35 quid and I used 50g 3 times a week after big workouts, so it should last a long time but I admit its just another cost that isn't that necessary. For carbs look no further than pasta and oats. They're full of carbs. As long as you stick to a healthy balanced diet you'll be fine though.

What kind of physique are you aiming for? Like broaden the shoulders a bit and gain some muscle around the arms ect?

I used to be a competitive swimmer so I've still got the physique from my younger days, I'm quite fortunate in that I'm naturally fit from those days. I just need to tone it all back up. Obviously, my muscles will swell up a little bit from regular usage, it's suprising how little I do these days to be honest, my muscles don't get used so have sagged and flop about. Not quite chicken wings but you know what I mean.

Basically, I want to be healthy and fit. I also want to be able to keep up with my mates playing 5 a side football, I can barely do 5 mins at the moment. 30 mins and I know I've been working hard.

Your advice is sound mate, the foods are the main part. All tips are helpful though! Like I say, I want to do it every day just so I've got something to do and look forward to. As little as I do already, I enjoy it.

One thing to bear in mind. More than two pints within 12 hours of a workout might completely ruin your workout 'cause your body wants to get rid of the alcohol before repairing muscles. If your like me and like a drink at the weekend make friday and saturday your rest days 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Okay, next month I turn 30.

For the past year or so I've been umming and arring about keeping fit, I do a lot of walking and cycling but want to incorparate running and a bit of weight 'lifting' into a regime of sorts. Something to do everyday.

My bike is just a bog standard mountain bike, now't special, so not really good enough for everyday workouts. Good enough to get me from A to B though, which is important for me because everyone I know lives over 3 miles away. That's where walking comes in as well, sometimes I just wanna walk.

Anyway, there is no set program that I work to. It's just a random thing, whenever I go out basically.

I need a set regime. I can't afford the gym, but have weights and running shoes. Combined weight of weights, is only about 25kg, trust me, that's heavy enough at the moment.

My physique is one of very skinny. I also want to put weight on whilst keeping fit, or at least maintain my weight.

I'm 6ft and 11 stone.

Can anybody help me out, or direct me to the right web space?

Cheers.

[url=http://www.realbuzz.com/]http://www.realbuzz.com/

There you go fella.....enjoy 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived