Christmas Dinner or a Big Mac?

ladyram

On the radio this morning campers Maccy D's on Osmaston Road(?) and Markeaton Roundabout will be opening it's doors on Christmas Day to customers.

What would your preference be and do you think its right that they are opening at all?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the radio this morning campers Maccy D's on Osmaston Road(?) and Markeaton Roundabout will be opening it's doors on Christmas Day to customers.

What would your preference be and do you think its right that they are opening at all?

How can it be wrong? I believe that traders should be free to trade whenever they like.

A large percentage of Britain is non Christian so why should England effectively be closed because of an essentially Christian celebration.

In Japan, McDonalds is a huge part of Christmas and is their busiest day. Most families visit McDonalds or KFC.

The last time I was in McDonalds at Markeaton Island it was the Derbyshire Yeoman....the first of many on the derby mile..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Roughly translated into "I haven't been in the McDonalds at Markeaton island"

Mind you, I remember sitting out front with a bottle of pop and a packet of peanuts, playing with kids in the rose beds.

The police and parents asked questions mind.

How can it be wrong? I believe that traders should be free to trade whenever they like.

A large percentage of Britain is non Christian so why should England effectively be closed because of an essentially Christian celebration.

In Japan, McDonalds is a huge part of Christmas and is their busiest day. Most families visit McDonalds or KFC.

Don't get me wrong mc, I'm not saying it's wrong - I was just asking for thoughts on whether or not others think it's right. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Loads of folk on the radio this morn didn't half turn their noses up at the mere idea of it being open but when you think that other restaurants open on Christmas Day, they're only doing the same aren't they?

I think it's a good idea, not only for workers who are out and about, like the police and such - but I tend to spare a thought for those who don't have a great time at Christmas and just want to escape from the whole thing but still want to get a warm and something to eat.

I'm a traditionalist not an apologist so yes I don't like it one bit. I couldn't care less about the right of a multinational chain to trade on Xmas day. Even in my lifetime a lot of places were closed on sundays which I preferred. If people want 24-7 let them have it though, by all means but at least let the rest of us moan how its destroying tradition in favour of boosting the coffers of big businesses.

I think Christmas has been more about tradition than Christ for a good few years now (mild understatement) so not sure what relevance my faith (or lack of) has to do with a traditional bank hoilday becoming ever more like a normal trading day. I also couldn't give a rat's arse about whether any person without a history in celebrating Xmas feels disadvantaged on Dec 25th, deal with it...Mac D's will be open the following day if you're that fecking desperate.

why shouldn't they be? people often work on christmas day, (for instance my dad as he works in the nhs and can't always get it off) and if they want a quick snack then they should have the option to go.

Not really adding too much there YR apart from stating the blindingly obvious. Clearly McDonald's consumers can't go a day without getting their fix by the sounds of it...

Not really adding too much there YR apart from stating the blindingly obvious. Clearly McDonald's consumers can't go a day without getting their fix by the sounds of it...

But Silly, they're providing a service to people surely? I don't think it's about customers getting their fix, it's more about them being able to get some food when there's nowhere else open and they're away from home.

Joe makes a good point too, some people travel miles on Christmas Day to see their families and would no doubt take advantage of the chance to get a coffee, a bite to eat and to use the loo.

I don’t work in a shop but I vaguely remember Sunday trading started off with lots of promises about Sunday working being voluntary. Later on I remember reading that shop workers had ended up with no choice in their contracts and being paid the same rate as any other day. No doubt someone will point out if I’ve got that wrong.

Now trading on Christmas Day seems to be the target. Retail and fast food ain’t the emergency services and I’m 100% with any poor sap who has no choice but to work when they’d much rather be at home with their families.

I’m sure ASDA and McD fans can survive one day a year without going to a supermarket or buying a burger. Workaholics, those who hate Christmas, and those who want to avoid their families can opt for charity work at the local homeless shelter or get on with some of their ‘must do’ paper work at home or…whatever.

But Silly, they're providing a service to people surely?

Not disputing that. Just like Tesco being open at 3am in the morning. Like everything now operating on a sunday. If you think its an improvement to the way things were before then I guess you're delighted. I preferred it when shops were open mon-fri 9-5 and saturdays whilst on bank hoildays and Xmas everything was closed. People seemed to manage before, everything is a million miles per hour in this country now and "convenience" seems to have made life more stressful. I'm no dinosaur but I don't like the idea of 24-7 365 days a year of trading which I thing is slowly crawling in. You can all give tame examples of why we need MacD's open but I'm going to disagree all day long.

I don’t work in a shop but I vaguely remember Sunday trading started off with lots of promises about Sunday working being voluntary. Later on I remember reading that shop workers had ended up with no choice in their contracts and being paid the same rate as any other day. No doubt someone will point out if I’ve got that wrong.

It wasn't too much more than a decade ago I was a student in retail. I think it was round about that time Sunday pay (usually time and a half) was getting phased out as I was on standard wages for Sunday work. The issue was and still is, people that have worked for years in the industry had it wrote in their contracts that they were entitled to it. Seems unfair to me that two people can be paid differing amounts for the exact same job. It is all about profit, not providing a service people think they need. It is getting the same now with boxing day and other bank hoildays. There was a time (and still is in some cases) you might have got double or treble rate pay for working boxing day, though I hear now its written in contracts where you have to work so many hoildays a year on normal pay, alternating with other staff.

I've never understood why people would want to go traipsing round shopping centres on bank hoildays, probably why I'm so out of touch by the sounds of it.

Not disputing that. Just like Tesco being open at 3am in the morning. Like everything now operating on a sunday. If you think its an improvement to the way things were before then I guess you're delighted. I preferred it when shops were open mon-fri 9-5 and saturdays whilst on bank hoildays and Xmas everything was closed. People seemed to manage before, everything is a million miles per hour in this country now and "convenience" seems to have made life more stressful. I'm no dinosaur but I don't like the idea of 24-7 365 days a year of trading which I thing is slowly crawling in. You can all give tame examples of why we need MacD's open but I'm going to disagree all day long.

See I don't mind that idea, it won't ever draw up enough custom to work but in theory, more people in work and you can simply go out and get anything you need when you need it. If you don't choose to use the option then it shouldn't effect you in anyway, could argue that traditions are being stamped on, but who are they hurting staying open, quite frankly would LOVE my bank to stay open, past 12 on a saturday other than that I can't get a look in as I work!

im going to do a dangerous,

mcdonalds is crap full stop,

it is an american invention forced upon the rest of the world,

it consisits of some grey looking round thing , covered in limp lettuce, smothered in a foul tasting sauce , and a gerkin which tastes fouler than my nans minge on a summers day,

i think its a meeting place for the socially defunct people who have not yet mastered the role of correct parenting, just because paris or mercedes wont eat veggies its not correct to force this sh1te on them,

if maccas was put on the stock market would all the berberry wearing single parents buy shares?

I worked in retail in the 80's and if I remember right, Sunday trading was just beginning to emerge, I don't think anybody knew how big it would become. Personally, for me, I don't mind Sundays being a shopping day so if the shops are open, that's fine. I don't use them an awful lot but sometimes I need to if I don't have a lot of time during the week. The fact they are open doesn't mean much to me, it doesn't spoil a Sunday or a BH, I just choose what I want to do.

At times I've been grateful that Tesco have been open in the middle in the night - I've been known to send Dav off to get some Calpol for the kids if they've been ill, (i do try to make sure we have some - but hey, running out of it happens) so for me in that respect, convenience has not made my life more stressful at all, quite the opposite in fact.

Over the years, I've worked loads of Christmas Day shifts (although not in retail) we shared the hours and so did 4 each which wasn't ideal but I thought was fair so just got on with it.

im going to do a dangerous,

mcdonalds is crap full stop,

it is an american invention forced upon the rest of the world,

it consisits of some grey looking round thing , covered in limp lettuce, smothered in a foul tasting sauce , and a gerkin which tastes fouler than my nans minge on a summers day,

i think its a meeting place for the socially defunct people who have not yet mastered the role of correct parenting, just because paris or mercedes wont eat veggies its not correct to force this sh1te on them,

if maccas was put on the stock market would all the berberry wearing single parents buy shares?

What a delightful way with words you have Trigg 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Archived