Derby County v Bristol City

Hucknall Ram

Sounded like a few boos at HT on the radio? Was that the case?

NC seems stuck with the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 / 4-4-2 dilemma.. Problem is, the perfect players to play a 4-3-3 formation includes Ball (19) and Bennett (15) but it's unfair to play them all the time..

Ben Davies simply can't play in any system, he's only good at cossing but we have no big men up top.. He can't beat a man, has no pace, doesn't stretch teams, nothing.. He's a wasted player in our team and we'll continue to struggle down the right side if he plays.

We need Robinson back, and we need an equivalent of Ward on the right side. Perhaps Ward Ball and Robinson could play a front 3 with a narrow CM of Bailey, Bryson and Hendrick..

There was indeed a smattering of boo's at HT, fans were so quiet, ive seen more atmosphere at a funeral.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played lads - Bryson had a great game, so did Wardy.

Priskin didn't do an awful lot it has to be said, Bailey on the up, he's starting to read the ball much better. Bennett for me is quickly developing the knack of getting in their faces but the ref had spectacular ability in ignoring blatant and very obvious handballs. The whole stadium could see them but he couldn't!

Been today rubbish first half ( useless formation at home )

Ball did a good job when he came on vast improvement on priskin Davies is slowly getting worse why he shot rather than putting the ball in the penalty area is beyond me funny though how we played better when he was taken off for Bennett who looked lively again think the futures bright if we hold onto him ball ob and hendrick. Sum up poor first half livened up in the second when we went 4-4-2?

For me ball and Bennett should start next week have s.Davies and Theo on bench if there back fit 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

COYR

Well played lads - Bryson had a great game, so did Wardy.

Priskin didn't do an awful lot it has to be said, Bailey on the up, he's starting to read the ball much better. Bennett for me is quickly developing the knack of getting in their faces but the ref had spectacular ability in ignoring blatant and very obvious handballs. The whole stadium could see them but he couldn't!

Bryson was desperately poor until the goal then like the team he picked up, Bailey again offered little, waste of a shirt.

Roberts was mom and both centre-halfs did well but midfield is a worry, we were largely second-best again and if we have to play 4-5-1 then we ned more than Davies can offer out wide especially at home.

Bryson was desperately poor until the goal then like the team he picked up, Bailey again offered little, waste of a shirt.

Roberts was mom and both centre-halfs did well but midfield is a worry, we were largely second-best again and if we have to play 4-5-1 then we ned more than Davies can offer out wide especially at home.

Trouble is though ianm who else can play there cwyka and maguire aren't figuring for some reason and even then there's only really crofty until brayfords fully fit then personally I'd drop Davies and put greeny there he's a better crosser of a ball 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I think we are decent at the back tidy in the midle of midfield yet need another winger the other side like ward who can worry the full back and a good front man. We also need when playing the 3 in midfield at least one of them getting into the box when we attack, when we do get people in there we are a lot more of a threat.

I thought today's game was very poor, 2 teams that are average, there were very few chances with less quality. I thought there wasn't a stand out player, there were couple of moments of good play from both teams but not much and was followed by poor play.

This was the type of game that a player of Maynard's quality (thought he was rather poor today had 1 good shot and a good turn and put his shot out for a throw) would win it for the other team, but we showed that resilience that we had at the beginning of the season and dug in and got the win.

Thought the best players on the pitch were Ball and Ward (as usual)

Trouble is though ianm who else can play there cwyka and maguire aren't figuring for some reason and even then there's only really crofty until brayfords fully fit then personally I'd drop Davies and put greeny there he's a better crosser of a ball 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No definitely not Green he has been tried in Right-Midfield on several occasions and has been a disaster there. To be honest I think Green's best position is right-back, he seems better with the play in front of him, however Brayford is without doubt of a much higher calibre. In midfield in his early performances I thought Bryson was a similar player to Green but a little better on the ball, in the last couple of months though I am beginning to think that after all Green may be the better option.

It was apparent today Ben has deffo lost his form and is knackered - but what's not helping are the booers. If you are one, don't you know it's not going to make the situation any better? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> It achieves nowt and it's certainly not going to have any positive effect on him is it?

It was apparent today Ben has deffo lost his form and is knackered - but what's not helping are the booers. If you are one, don't you know it's not going to make the situation any better? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> It achieves nowt and it's certainly not going to have any positive effect on him is it?

No I would never boo a player I know how hard it is but although you can never fault his effort and you can say this about Bailey and Bryson as well the guy is limited and if we are to go forward we need a better quality of footballer. At this level I think Nigel needs to grasp you need a little more than just work-rate, some quality passing or crossing or ability to trick or beat a man is needed as well in a midfield player.

Good support from the East corner today.

Started with some lovely abuse aimed at Clough. Some really delightful language. The hatred for 451 was wonderful.

Then it finished with the ever brilliant "loyal supporters" song.

Can I get a ST in the away end??

All you'll get in there is An STD 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

Great to get a win. Let's hope that's the end of 4-5-1.

Not sure it matters about the formation as much as people think. We can make 442 look just as negative at times.

I'm always concerned that Nigel puts too much care into not losing than winning. Not a major concern, but i do think perhaps Nigel needs to introduce some Jamie Ward enthusiasm into the entire side. Particuarly on the opposite flank where we have quite defensive widemen.

I just want to see a bit more confidence around the team. Arrogance even. Because we play as if we're the underdogs a lot.

Not sure it matters about the formation as much as people think. We can make 442 look just as negative at times.

I'm always concerned that Nigel puts too much care into not losing than winning. Not a major concern, but i do think perhaps Nigel needs to introduce some Jamie Ward enthusiasm into the entire side. Particuarly on the opposite flank where we have quite defensive widemen.

I just want to see a bit more confidence around the team. Arrogance even. Because we play as if we're the underdogs a lot.

I.m afraid thats down to Cloughs insistence of playing this dreadful 4-5-1 without A quality Frontman.

That all changes the second Brayford comes back fit.

Brayford with Davies or Brayford with Green and we'll have a right side that will worry anyone.

With Ward on the left able to create something from nothing - we've got a good balance. We just need Brayfords enrgy levels and clear boundless enthusiasm. It's the missing spark.

That all changes the second Brayford comes back fit.

Brayford with Davies or Brayford with Green and we'll have a right side that will worry anyone.

With Ward on the left able to create something from nothing - we've got a good balance. We just need Brayfords enrgy levels and clear boundless enthusiasm. It's the missing spark.

B.Davies, just like Croft, restrcts Brayfords play.. Brayford is an attacking fullback, but how can he get forward if his RW is slow, immobile, can't beat a man, can't pass and stuck out wide not doing anything other than taking up an attacing fullback space.. Croft and B.Davies don't cut inside meaning everything is played infront of the opposite LB making it so easy.

Brayford played his best football in a DCFC shirt playing behind either Cywka or Green as they both cut inside, taking the opposite LW or LB out the game and giving Brayford the space to roam forward and go 1 on 1 with either the opposite LW or LB.

Coventry (A), Watford (H) and Palace (H) last season were major proofs of this.. The majority of our goals in these games came directly from Brayford being in an attacking RW position and our RW being infield or in the box. Especially Coventry away, watch that goal and it demonstates how to play the 4-2-3-1 formation perfectly. We had about 5 players in the box wating for Brayfords cross!

a win is what we needed and we got it, first half was awful and people calling for 4-4-2 to be played. Two poor teams playing poor football, the only highlights were wards performance and maynards shot and fieldings save on the 44th minute, we had a bright spell in first 15mins but no chances were created. Second half, started bright,then they got the goal and looked in control, ward was a constant menace though and created the 1st goal with a delightful run and ball across, bryson tapped it in. We went forward for 5 mins without creating much and it settled down until ball got a chance and took it. James should have saved but it didn't matter, we then looked lively and more confident, even though we didn't create chances we looked like we had an extra yard in us, last 10 minutes bristol had a couple of efforts which went close but nothing major.

In conclusion, in my opinion we haven't turned a corner, we had to win today and if we hadn't i think even rotheramram would have been a bit worried. We won and that is what matters,we had 2 chances and we took them, the reason why i don't think we turned a corner is because we still weren't that good in reality, ward was a constant threat but apart from him we didn't look brilliant going forward, priskin was useless, ball was good but i doubt he will do that week in week out. Green was good as well but he is moving on, there is a lot of work to do and this was a rest bite result, i wouldn't be surprised with the opposition we have if we went on another 6 game run without a win. However I don't think we are relegation candidates, we will be lower midtable unless we get a horrific injury spell again.

I thought Priskin played well today. He controlled the ball well and when possible he brought others into play. He had very few opportunities to do it though. He would fit in well in a decent side unfortunately though.....

Are we too hung up on the big lumbering centre forward idea?

Archived