Clough's cunning youth plan

Boycie

By playing these young lads in the championship, like Mason Bennett for instance, it is sending out a message far and wide across the country.

Coming soon we have the new rules regarding procurement of academy players. Now, if we can sell our club to the young lads parents that their talented off spring could be playing in the first team in one of the best leagues in the world, then it may swing a few more good young players our way.

Obviously, the majority may want the glamour of being at the academy in Manchester of a London club. Will they get there chance at a club that buy there talent in?

But some of the less fickle players will appreciate that he may be able to break into the first team of a club that is well supported.

The parents will see the benefit of a possible sell on to a bigger club later, money wise.

I think Clough and the club are playing a very wise game here, what do you think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By playing these young lads in the championship, like Mason Bennett for instance, it is sending out a message far and wide across the country.

Coming soon we have the new rules regarding procurement of academy players. Now, if we can sell our club to the young lads parents that their talented off spring could be playing in the first team in one of the best leagues in the world, then it may swing a few more good young players our way.

Obviously, the majority may want the glamour of being at the academy in Manchester of a London club. Will they get there chance at a club that buy there talent in?

But some of the less fickle players will appreciate that he may be able to break into the first team of a club that is well supported.

The parents will see the benefit of a possible sell on to a bigger club later, money wise.

I think Clough and the club are playing a very wise game here, what do you think?

More likely that we are being forced into playing youngsters due to a lack fo transfer funds. Not a dig at the board, just my opinion.

I think there's many reasons hes playing them.

1. They're good enough

2. We don't have a choice

3. It helps develop them

4. The fans won't boo the players after a bad game if there is 4 youngsters in the side

5. Gives Nige an excuse every time we lose a game...'oh, we've got a 15 yr old up front, they've got an experienced international'...

6. If we don't get performances on the pitch/in the short term, atleast the club are making it clear that we're succeeding in the academy/the long term, shuts us up.

Overall theres loads of different reason really...

Boycie whether you were trying to be clever with a well hidden pun or irony. I have had this same conversation with the family on the way back home on Wednesday.

Two school of thoughts one was we are putting them into the window to get a larger fee and has you say there may be a truth there.

The other is if you are an academy player at a club outside of the top 4-6 prem teams lets be honest if one of those teams come to speak to you, your head would be turned. However if they know that they have every chance whilst at a club they play for that they could play 1st team football sooner rather than later then I have to say I would stop. No matter what is taught in academy and youth teams nothing beats 1st team football for experience if they are good enough and will not weaken the team let them play.

Clough in my opinion is putting them in the squad so when these transfer rules regarding yoof players comes in then we will say they are first team squad players and not just academy players so we get a bigger fee for them

Sounds bang on, expect lots of other teams with youth academies to follow suit.

Clough in my opinion is putting them in the squad so when these transfer rules regarding yoof players comes in then we will say they are first team squad players and not just academy players so we get a bigger fee for them

Hmmm. never thought of that.

Boycie whether you were trying to be clever with a well hidden pun or irony. I have had this same conversation with the family on the way back home on Wednesday.

Two school of thoughts one was we are putting them into the window to get a larger fee and has you say there may be a truth there.

The other is if you are an academy player at a club outside of the top 4-6 prem teams lets be honest if one of those teams come to speak to you, your head would be turned. However if they know that they have every chance whilst at a club they play for that they could play 1st team football sooner rather than later then I have to say I would stop. No matter what is taught in academy and youth teams nothing beats 1st team football for experience if they are good enough and will not weaken the team let them play.

It makes sense doesn't it. Me you and Nigel are right.

I can't imagine the rules work that way in the slightest. I suspect they'll be based on age and whether you are on a full time contract or not (which you can't sign until 17).

With the fair play rule/current economic environment, more and more Championship clubs will be forced to do this.

In the big scheme of things in regards to the FA. This can only help England to develop future talent.

The Championship will be the breeding ground for future England players as youngsters will not get enough experience in the EPL. The last example of this was Hudds who played over 100 games for us before moving to the EPL, and without his injuries would probably be in the English squad.

I think in the near future EPL sides will buy youngsters from the Championship and loan them back for 1-2 years (as part of the same deal) to get experience before incorporating them into their squads.

Archived