Jake Buxton

Alph

Never as bad as people make out.

I like O'Brien, but because he's a young lad all his mistakes and faults are over looked. That's fine. That's how he'll learn.

With Buxton people are looking for errors. Waiting to pounce. He can try a ball down the line and he gets crucified. If O'Brien hoofs the ball out of play on the volley while in acres of space people are fine with it.

I'm not saying crucify OB. I'm saying Buxton was part of the Barker/Buxton combo that strung a good run together beating Newcastle 3-0 and a cruising Forest and help keep us clear of relegation.

Some players can do no wrong. If I was to say Brayford has been garbage so far this season people would go nuts. If I was to say OB just invites pressure by blind hoofing all the time, people would tell me to go on LTLF with my buddies. But if I said Roberts is rubbish (even though he's been better than Brayford this season) people wouldn't give me abuse. If I said Kilbane can play CB as well as OB (who looks cracking for his age tbf) people would rush to protect O'Brien.

What exactly did Buxton do wrong to be included amongst the 'rubbish' lot?

He earned his right to play badly by partnering Barker and keeping us clear of relegation. We did better with him than we did without him last season.

Not saying he's great. But he shouldn't be treated like the village idiot IMO.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's reassuring to know that we have the likes of Barker, Bailey and Brayford to come back....but defensively, I think we ought to plan around the assumption that Anderson and Riggott don't exist!!

O'Brien has been great but he does hoof it all the time and I still think it will be Barker and Shackell in there when both fully fit.

I also still think it's crazy that we don't have at least one designated back-up right back, even if it's a teenager from the academy.

I dont mind Buxton, just not at right back. A big part of our game is feeding the ball out wide and Buxton isn't comfortable on the ball. I would have put Buxton at centre back and Kilbane out wide right last night, I just think as a right back he gets exposed with pace and movement too much. His main attribute is his aerial abilities, he'd be much more effective in the centre I think.

He was not ready to play last night. has managed to play one sub appearance in the last 60 league matches. Unlucky with injuries.

Think he can do a job at centre back but until he is fully fit he shoulden't be made to play right back. Chris Jones is one of the Academy scholars now a first year young pro, who might be a future back up option at right back. He played there for most of the reserve matches last season as a second year scholar. Typical though, he is also out injured.

Never as bad as people make out.

I like O'Brien, but because he's a young lad all his mistakes and faults are over looked. That's fine. That's how he'll learn.

With Buxton people are looking for errors. Waiting to pounce. He can try a ball down the line and he gets crucified. If O'Brien hoofs the ball out of play on the volley while in acres of space people are fine with it.

I'm not saying crucify OB. I'm saying Buxton was part of the Barker/Buxton combo that strung a good run together beating Newcastle 3-0 and a cruising Forest and help keep us clear of relegation.

Some players can do no wrong. If I was to say Brayford has been garbage so far this season people would go nuts. If I was to say OB just invites pressure by blind hoofing all the time, people would tell me to go on LTLF with my buddies. But if I said Roberts is rubbish (even though he's been better than Brayford this season) people wouldn't give me abuse. If I said Kilbane can play CB as well as OB (who looks cracking for his age tbf) people would rush to protect O'Brien.

What exactly did Buxton do wrong to be included amongst the 'rubbish' lot?

He earned his right to play badly by partnering Barker and keeping us clear of relegation. We did better with him than we did without him last season.

Not saying he's great. But he shouldn't be treated like the village idiot IMO.

You are spot on with that. He is an honest player who is prepared to get hurt for the cause. I thought he played OK last night. He was dumped into trouble by Kilbane a couple of times but considering it was his first appearance for a long time and was played out of position, I think he did OK. I agree with Clough in that he left Kilbane at Centre back; better not to disrupt the defence any more than necessary.

The people who treat him like the 'village idiot' are probably well qualified for that position themselves.

It's reassuring to know that we have the likes of Barker, Bailey and Brayford to come back....but defensively, I think we ought to plan around the assumption that Anderson and Riggott don't exist!!

O'Brien has been great but he does hoof it all the time and I still think it will be Barker and Shackell in there when both fully fit.

I also still think it's crazy that we don't have at least one designated back-up right back, even if it's a teenager from the academy.

Can we just get Riggott and Anderson to retire! Maybe then the board would realise we have a defender shortage.

Archived