Midtable mediocrity

sideshowbob

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The board haven't invested $3mill..

That $3mill NC has saved by selling off Hulse, Commons, Moxey, Varney etc.. plus the wages saved from them 4 plus Porter, Savage, Pringle etc.. Not to mention income through ST sales etc..

The club haven't given NC $3mill to spend through their own pocket.. NC was allowed to spend this money as he has generated this money..

The same goes for any other club.. Reading sold Long for $6mill and they've been allowed to re-invest that money by signing Leigeterwood permanantly, Le Fondre, Gorkks etc..

wasn't the commons money spent on ben davies? Yes they have saved on wages and yes they let clough put that money back into the transfer market but 2.8 million spent and little transfer fee's outgoing is a decent bit, plus tyson on a free, I am just wondering how many championship sides spent 2.8 million pounds sterling, not dollars.

Comparing half time stats to full time stats on the BBC they had 8 or 9 chances the same as us. Just because they have chances doesn't mean we crumbled. If we had we wouldn't have created as many as we did.

All I am saying is what i heard on the radio, and from what i heard it sounded like boro after the second goal were over us like a rash and in the match chat i had the impression people felt the same.

10 defenders and 8 strikers, yet of that 18, you only name 5 of them as injury prone. What about the Barkers and Brayfords and Shackells and Robertseseses and Maguires and so on who were signed with abnormally insignificant injury histories?

I did say later I was being harsh.

The lack of investment for me is what's hurting us. Sure, a lot of clubs don't have as many first-team players as us, but most clubs have more first-team players available than we do. I doubt there's a club in our league, or maybe even the football league, who have an injury list like ours.

Forget the investment, we have a big squad, we should have enough players at the club already, the question is why haven't we? are the injuries bad luck, a gypsy curse? why are players like Barker coming here with no previous problems and suffering long term injuries. This isn't down to Glick and the board.

And the first thing any club does when their squad is stretched is dip in to the emergency loan market. We seem unable to do that, despite the fact we clearly need another right-back and another centre half. And another midfielder. And probably another striker.

Why do you assume it's down to money and Clough not being able to identify targets?

Still it all adds up....

Riggott, joke signing

Legzdins, did we really need another back up keeper?

Martin sat on his arse since joining us

Porter would of cost us a fair amount of money with the fee, wages and treatment then leaves on a free

Buxton and Pearson contract extensions

Pringle, can't even get a game at Rotherham now

Moxey, didn't we lose money on him and now we have Kilbane in on loan

Anderson, was a crock before we signed him so it's no surprise he can't last 5 games

Tyson isn't looking like the best value for money, got my fingers crossed for him tho

Cywka and Maguire can't get a game, won't be a surprise to see Tommy leave in Jan

Who would of you of preferred to see run onto the shitty ground pitch after Fielding got sent off? Legzdins or Deeney?, of course we need a decent back up goalkeeper, i agree we have too many keepers at the club, but maybe a couple should of been shipped out, Deeney included.

wasn't the commons money spent on ben davies? Yes they have saved on wages and yes they let clough put that money back into the transfer market but 2.8 million spent and little transfer fee's outgoing is a decent bit, plus tyson on a free, I am just wondering how many championship sides spent 2.8 million pounds sterling, not dollars.

I don't have the pound sign..

I don't know if you've realised but a decent player at this level costs $1mill+.. Long and Mills were exceptional at this level and that's why they cost $5mill and $6mill a piece..

If we want a top player we need to spend at least $1mill.. Plus wages your looking at $2.8mill on 2 players that's it.. You can't build a team around 2 players..

NC has to buy 7 or 8 players with that money and try and form a team.. He's trying, but it's not going to happen over night.. With that sort of money he can only buy young players for cheap and build a team over a couple of years.. Just like he is doing..

We are midtable, perhaps lower.. But next season we'll be higher as our players get more experience, as NC gets more experience, and as wegradually bring in better quality players..

The board aren't going to invest big sums.. Thats why it's called a long-term plan

I don't have the pound sign..

I don't know if you've realised but a decent player at this level costs $1mill+.. Long and Mills were exceptional at this level and that's why they cost $5mill and $6mill a piece..

If we want a top player we need to spend at least $1mill.. Plus wages your looking at $2.8mill on 2 players that's it.. You can't build a team around 2 players..

NC has to buy 7 or 8 players with that money and try and form a team.. He's trying, but it's not going to happen over night.. With that sort of money he can only buy young players for cheap and build a team over a couple of years.. Just like he is doing..

We are midtable, perhaps lower.. But next season we'll be higher as our players get more experience, as NC gets more experience, and as wegradually bring in better quality players..

you didn't answer my question, how many teams this season have spent 2.8 million pounds. Long and mills are exceptions to the rule with all due respect, mills was signed by leicester who have spent big amounts on average players. If you look hard enough i think you can get good players for less than a one million pounds and i think most would agree. Also where have i said i want success overnight? most of your post is pointless as it addresses virtually nothing of what i have said. Nigel has had over 2 years, he is one of the most experienced managers in the championship at the moment so his experience shouldn't be an excuse.

Who would of you of preferred to see run onto the shitty ground pitch after Fielding got sent off? Legzdins or Deeney?, of course we need a decent back up goalkeeper, i agree we have too many keepers at the club, but maybe a couple should of been shipped out, Deeney included.

Legzdins played well no doubting that but at the time I felt and feel that we had weaker areas of the squad that should of took priority. We came into the season with just 2 centre midfielders, 6 keepers, 6 strikers and 10 defenders.

Nigel clough's record in the transfer market for me is very hit and miss, daveo missed a savage extension (god knows why) and signing buxton in the first place.

I missed the Savage extension as didn't he spread his wages over 2 seasons to help us out? yeah we had to endure him for another season but it probably helped us financially.

I missed the Savage extension as didn't he spread his wages over 2 seasons to help us out? yeah we had to endure him for another season but it probably helped us financially.

i would rather have seen the back of one of the worst players to grace derby county in recent history tbh.

you didn't answer my question, how many teams this season have spent 2.8 million pounds. Long and mills are exceptions to the rule with all due respect, mills was signed by leicester who have spent big amounts on average players. If you look hard enough i think you can get good players for less than a one million pounds and i think most would agree.

I don't know how many teams have spent $2.8mill..

How many teams have halved their wage budget and sold off their best players over the past 2 seasons?

You can get good players for under $1mill.. ALF and Scott Sinclair are examples of this.. But for every good one their is a duff one..

Good players at this level cost $1mill +.. So when you're buying players for $350k you're buying potential and you're taking a risk that they turn out to be good enough and more.. You can't honestly expect NC to go out and buy 8 players for $400k and each player is good enough for a top 6 place..

That doesn't happen, and never will happen.. There isn't a manager alive who is immune to wasting money, even Sir Alex has made some duffers for Utd and his transfer budget is bottomless..

For the money NC has spent, he's done good.. Not spectacular, but not poor.. Good, we're midtable with a young squad with potential to push on next season.

Why do you assume it's down to money and Clough not being able to identify targets?

I assume it’s down to money for a couple of reasons.

The first, stronger reason is because Clough clearly identified gaps in the squad (striker, experienced midfielder etc) in the latter part of the last transfer window. The reason given by the club for not filling these gaps was because we still had Leacock, Pearson, and Bywater on the books and no more players could be brought in until they were shifted.

The second, weaker reason is because RD seemed sure that a loan was set up for Matt Oakley (at around £4k/week according to the Mirror *cough*) but that was a bit rich for us (allegedly).

I don't know how many teams have spent $2.8mill..

How many teams have halved their wage budget and sold off their best players over the past 2 seasons?

You can get good players for under $1mill.. ALF and Scott Sinclair are examples of this.. But for every good one their is a duff one..

Good players at this level cost $1mill +.. So when you're buying players for $350k you're buying potential and you're taking a risk that they turn out to be good enough and more.. You can't honestly expect NC to go out and buy 8 players for $400k and each player is good enough for a top 6 place..

That doesn't happen, and never will happen.. There isn't a manager alive who is immune to wasting money, even Sir Alex has made some duffers for Utd and his transfer budget is bottomless..

For the money NC has spent, he's done good.. Not spectacular, but not poor.. Good, we're midtable with a young squad with potential to push on next season.

to me you have to look around at others and see what they have spent, our team last season wasn't a million miles away from mid table in terms of quality. So to spend 2.8 million in this league where few teams have spent that then i would want to see a good deal of improvement both in league position and in how we are playing. Our wage budget when clough came in was the biggest in the league and should have been trimmed, and plenty of teams in this division lose their best players bris, it happens to many clubs. Of course you take gambles, you take calculated risks, i think with how much nigel has spent and how many players he has bought in he has been very hit and miss. But to say nigel has no money when he has spent almost 3 million this season is just wrong.

Archived