Trains, or rather no trains.

Shake n Bake

Does anyone else think our train service is becoming pretty *****? They keep bumping prices up and fining people for losing their ticket but the service is pretty *****. You pay ridiculous prices to stand up and then they just cancel trains and you don't even get an apology. I'm currently stuck in that awful place on the other end of the 52, my trains (6.37) has been cancelled and the next ones not for 45 minutes. You get no apology or explanation. I asked for a refund so I could get the bus and apparently I can't because its a return ticket which I used to get to notts.

Sorry for the rant 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. They're awful. Apart from the trains to and in London, all of Britain's services are going downhill, but somehow getting more expensive. Obviously it's getting better for London because of the Olympics, but it's unfair for the other 50m people in this country that have to live with an inadequate and unaffordable system.

The London Underground in London runs like clockwork, and trains between London and Derby are never late. Also a £6 ticket that gets you unlimited travel through zones 1-6 all day is an absolute bargain. However, getting in between most places in England almost always involves a half hour plus wait on a cold platform before being put on a dramatically overcrowded carriage. Pretty poor when it costs £30-40 just for a return journey from Derby to Leeds nowadays...

The train companies must be laughing.

I agree. They're awful. Apart from the trains to and in London, all of Britain's services are going downhill, but somehow getting more expensive. Obviously it's getting better for London because of the Olympics, but it's unfair for the other 50m people in this country that have to live with an inadequate and unaffordable system.

The London Underground in London runs like clockwork, and trains between London and Derby are never late. Also a £6 ticket that gets you unlimited travel through zones 1-6 all day is an absolute bargain. However, getting in between most places in England almost always involves a half hour plus wait on a cold platform before being put on a dramatically overcrowded carriage. Pretty poor when it costs £30-40 just for a return journey from Derby to Leeds nowadays...

The train companies must be laughing.

'ere Joe when did you last buy a travel card!!? £8 now 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

You can have a public transport system that has the aim of moving people quickly and efficiently around the country to benefit the nation or you can have a profit-driven, privately owned system that still relies on taxpayers money to keep it going but is basically ****.

Guess which one we chose.

You can have a public transport system that has the aim of moving people quickly and efficiently around the country to benefit the nation or you can have a profit-driven, privately owned system that still relies on taxpayers money to keep it going but is basically ****.

Guess which one we chose.

That's right Utch, and that's why we have to cram on a single carriage, running from Crewe to Derby and back.

Football Special?

I think the standard of service is getting worse and the prices are teetering on the wrong side of unreasonable. On the flipside (of busy trains), I hate to having to pay an obscene price for booking late (not my fault if a client suddenly decides they need you in London tomorrow) and then find myself on a near empty train knowing people have paid half of what I have for the same journey. Whenever I commute via train I feel like the day has been a waste due to the waiting around, changes, the journey itself, it feels like you've done a little bit of work/whatever inbetween catching trains.

The trains out of Derby have always been on time and I've always got a seat. It's the train that runs between Sheff and Manchester I hate because you never get a seat. I've always been cramped up against the doors, wedged in between sweaty erberts and their mahoooooosive suitcases heading for the airport.

They need at least another 2 carriages, not even the ticket guy can get down, never mind the rip off coffee trolley.

I don't catch the train too often, but will be using it a lot next year for getting back to derby from university, from my experiences the service is poor and the prices are pretty expensive unless you book well in advance.

You decided where you're going YR? You keeping a season ticket?

You decided where you're going YR? You keeping a season ticket?

I am keeping a season ticket, probably doing anthropology at goldsmiths or something at kings college not totally sure, might go to york still though. It just seems easier to get back from london will come back every other friday night, keep my season ticket in derby so my dad can use it for tuesday night games and spend the night over on friday and go back sunday.

I don't like trains. Having a poo on a train is a no no as the rest of the people on the train are not toilet trained. When you go somewhere where you know a poo is a no no I'm the kind of person that will need a poo. On one train trip to Grimsby I spent 2hrs touching cloth in a 1 carrage train full of chavs writing "I woz ere" all over the windows. This experience cost me £30, I told myself that next time I would walk and take a bog roll and nip in the bushes.

Hahahaha Daveo - you don't half have a way with words! I don't venture in train loos, they make me heave. Splashes of allsorts all over the place with a healthy smattering of pwabs for good measure. Not to mention loo roll stuck on the floor - what do folk do - spin off an armful?? Plus, I bet half of em never wash their hands afterwards. Gross.

Oh lord, don't believe I'm having a convo about acky bogs. Whatever next?????

I'm leaving now, I'm one minging thought away from a food escape 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' />

I am keeping a season ticket, probably doing anthropology at goldsmiths or something at kings college not totally sure, might go to york still though. It just seems easier to get back from london will come back every other friday night, keep my season ticket in derby so my dad can use it for tuesday night games and spend the night over on friday and go back sunday.

I go every week from London - takes about an hour and 15/20. Can leave at 12.55pm, and be back for 7pm!

how much does it cost for you? and i would want to see my folks in honesty.

Yeah, in fairness I tend to go for the weekend, but the odd time I'll come to Derby (or away) and back in a day.

I book my tickets for the month in advance with a 16-25 railcard, Costs about £21 return. Sometimes you can get first class for the same (or oddly, sometimes cheaper) than standard as well mate.

Archived