Under-Rated and Over-Looked Starting XI

SantosHalper

Ha! Was only kidding mate, I still think fondly of the early 90s, as that was when I bought my first season ticket when I was about 14 years old.

The team with Short, Coleman (now there's an under-rated player), Kuhl, Pembridge, Gabbiadini, Johnson, and Kitson looked pretty good on paper... Seems that this was your sad and disappointing introduction into the world of the Rams.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin Kuhl would never get in, he was bought to replace George and failed, the Pickering funded dream team would have done much better if they had held onto Geraint. Paul Goddard is a great shout - he was class. Mark Wallington would be keeper probably

Martin Kuhl would never get in, he was bought to replace George and failed, the Pickering funded dream team would have done much better if they had held onto Geraint. Paul Goddard is a great shout - he was class. Mark Wallington would be keeper probably

Or Eric Steele?

Nah - Coleman maybe - Laursen was better than Comyn as was Spencer Prior and Paul Baldes

Agreed on everything you say, Laursen was a great player, as was Prior, but I think Simon Coleman is hugely under-rated. He had injury problems - a recurring knee problem, if I remember correctly.

Coleman did look good when fit - Gary Rowett was another I liked but never got going - was Christian Dailly under-rated? he was certainly over-priced when we sold him but I always thought of him a solid, unspectacular performer who didn't get much airtime. Still remember opening the paper to find he had been sold and being pissed off until I saw the price.

How about Kev Francis and "Sticks" Ormondroyd up front, for a bit of height? Blatant nostalgia rather than under-rated, but couldn't resist. According to wiki, Sticks had a strike rate of 8 in 25 games for us, which isn't bad and certainly better than I remember.

I wonder if anyone can be arsed to do a top ten of DCFC strikers based on goals to game ratio.

And i will say.....Mel Sage....and raise you Georgie Williams..........and raise you again with PAUL BLADES.

Its a real axe to grind with me that he never got the recognition he deserved.A rolls royce of an engine ( actual quote from graham richards :-) ) and he never ever put a foot wrong was a superb full back but everyone else took the limelight.

Most under rated player ever at Derby in my opinion !!

Infact i doubt few can he even remember him and he played loads of games for us.

The problem with Paul he never did anything fancy stuck to the task and got over looked by the fans.

"Sticks" Ormondroyd

I agree.

For me one of the most underated players to wear a derby shirt, goals to game ratio was superb.

May i add Mark Pembridge, an unassuming player at a time when derby were full of overated million pound plus players with big ego's.

Top player for me.

I agree.

For me one of the most underated players to wear a derby shirt, goals to game ratio was superb.

May i add Mark Pembridge, an unassuming player at a time when derby were full of overated million pound plus players with big ego's.

Top player for me.

Pembridge was a weird one - unspectacular and couldn't see him doing much but stayed around the prem for years...also won 50 odd caps for Wales and played for Benfica (?!)

Archived