Under-Rated and Over-Looked Starting XI

SantosHalper

I was just reading a thread that talked about the Arthur Cox years, and it got me thinking about the time I started supporting Derby as a boy, and how many good players we had then (i.e. in the mid to late 1980s) that don't get mentioned much now. I'm sure there are many other players from before and after that period who deserve more recognition.

So, who are the players from our past that don't get the recognition they deserve? Can I suggest (looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles, perhaps):

LB: Mickey Forsyth. First choice left-back for the best part of a decade.

And maybe LM: Gary Micklewhite.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Micklewhite was RM wasn't he?

Georgie Williams was one of my all time favourites, would probably make my all time DCFC team (players I've seen in my lifetime before any of the older crew go nuts) I am of the generation that grew up with Arthur's team.

Others I would mention - Jacob Laursen and Paul Blades - I think we will fill up the defenders easy on this, strikers will be tougher - I guess you could mention Ashley Ward, Ron Willems or Strupar? The latter being the class of the buch albeit injury prone.

Micklewhite was RM wasn't he?

Georgie Williams was one of my all time favourites, would probably make my all time DCFC team (players I've seen in my lifetime before any of the older crew go nuts) I am of the generation that grew up with Arthur's team.

Others I would mention - Jacob Laursen and Paul Blades - I think we will fill up the defenders easy on this, strikers will be tougher - I guess you could mention Ashley Ward, Ron Willems or Strupar? The latter being the class of the buch albeit injury prone.

Paul Blades was great. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I went to the Eagle Centre to get my shirt signed by Paul Blades and Rob Hindmarch.

Which reminds me - Rob Hindmarch, he was also a really good defender. RIP.

Good Old Robbie. Martyn Kuhl, Jason Kavanagh, Matt Carbon, Kevin Harper, Craig Ramage..... Sorry, feel like quoting loads of old players in no particular order! Morten Bisgaard- there I go again!

Oh dear Shilts, that's a long list of dodgy players! If only Ramage had been less injury-prone. I remember the 4-1 win against Newcastle when he scored twice, and Newcastle had two players and the assistant manager (McDermot?) sent off. If only... he could have been brilliant.

I just love Ramage for a reserve game against man U ( I think) where he rounded the keeper and got down on his hands and knees to roll the ball over the line with his head! Kuhl was a trouper and I won't hear a bad word about ooh ahh Kavanaaagh! Carbons hair was fantastic and TBH harper was but a trier.

I just love Ramage for a reserve game against man U ( I think) where he rounded the keeper and got down on his hands and knees to roll the ball over the line with his head! Kuhl was a trouper and I won't hear a bad word about ooh ahh Kavanaaagh! Carbons hair was fantastic and TBH harper was but a trier.

When we went financially mental in '92 or '93 and bought Kitson, Short, etc, etc, I thought that Kuhl (did we get him from Portsmouth?) was one of our worst players for a long time.

As for Jason Kavanagh, it didn't take long for him to be shifted on to Wycombe.

Is my memory serving me, or was it him who scored the bizarre own-goal against Florist, leading to the song of "Who needs Cantona when we've got Kavanagh?"

Kuhl wasn't the best but he scored 1 goal in 68 games- what more do you want!? Kavanagh should always be remembered for being a little bit crap. These were my heroes as a kid so with those rose tinted glasses firmly jammed on my bonce I will remember them with great fondess- I thank you!

Kuhl wasn't the best but he scored 1 goal in 68 games- what more do you want!? Kavanagh should always be remembered for being a little bit crap. These were my heroes as a kid so with those rose tinted glasses firmly jammed on my bonce I will remember them with great fondess- I thank you!

So maybe we need a new thread - lovable but incompetent players!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you Shilts? About 28 or so?

Archived