Praise the lord!

HenryKrinkle

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DEAN Leacock and Stephen Pearson can put themselves in the shop window tomorrow.

The Derby County pair, who are out of contract at the end of the season, are set to return to action after injury.

They are down to play for the Reserves against Nottingham Forest at Belper Town's Christchurch Meadow.

Leacock has not featured for the first team since the final game of last season.

The 27-year-old defender, who has had a knee injury, has started just three senior games this year.

Pearson's one senior appearance this season came in the Carling Cup defeat by Shrewsbury Town, although the Scot started 12 of the final 14 games of last season.

The 29-year-old midfielder has had an abdominal problem.

"They are just starting their comebacks now, realistically with a view to getting a couple of games and being available for loan, with a view to a permanent move in January," said manager Nigel Clough.

Leacock and Pearson are two of Derby's longest-serving players, having been signed by Billy Davies, and both played key roles when the Rams won promotion to the Premier League in 2006-7.

Leacock signed from Fulham in 2006 and Pearson from Celitc in January 2007.

Only goalkeeper Stephen Bywater (167) of the current squad has played more games for Derby than Leacock (126) and Pearson (123).

Bywater is on loan at Sheffield Wednesday.

Derby's players returned to training yesterday and in their numbers.

"The lads had a few days off last week and have come back refreshed," said Clough.

"We had 22 training on Monday morning, which was good to see and something we haven't had for some time.

"Callum Ball came down from the youth team to train with us after getting two more goals at the weekend.

"We would like to keep him with us as long as we can.

"I think the lads needed the break and, hopefully, they are ready to get the Leicester result out of their system.

"The only way you can do that is by putting a performance in on Saturday against Southampton."

Chris Riggott was one of those training and the defender is due to play for the Reserves again tomorrow as he builds his match fitness following an Achilles' tendon problem.

Riggott played an hour for the Reserves in the win against Burton Albion two weeks ago.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Pearson-Leacock-Rams-shop-window/story-13529250-detail/story.html

Wish all 3 of them success wherever they go, gone a bit stale at derby but especially bywater and leacock IMO have been good servants to the club.

Personally don't think there is much difference at the moment between bywater and fielding apart from distribution, both good shot stoppers, and both prone to mistakes. Leacock I always thought would be a very good defender, but got ripped apart against florist and struggled since then. Pearson......well there was that goal I suppose.

Wish all 3 of them success wherever they go, gone a bit stale at derby but especially bywater and leacock IMO have been good servants to the club.

Personally don't think there is much difference at the moment between bywater and fielding apart from distribution, both good shot stoppers, and both prone to mistakes. Leacock I always thought would be a very good defender, but got ripped apart against florist and struggled since then. Pearson......well there was that goal I suppose.

The guy who selects the England squad certainly believes there is a difference between the two keepers. ;-)

Although his competence is certainly under question though.

Fielding is young, you can forgive mistakes. But Bywater is supposed to be experienced and there are a lot of question marks over the example he sets. Who do you think sounds like a more balanced individual in interviews, and who sounds the more mature? Bywater and Fielding are like chalk and cheese in that respect and their contrast tipifies everything that's different this season.

When on form and happy, Bywater's a decent keeper, give or take a wild kick or three. But he's not a postive force in the dressing room, I'm almost certain he's one of those characters Ben Davies had alluded to.

Archived