2 Tickets For £20 V Southampton (Today Only)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't 2009 the season we got to the Semi finals of the Carling Cup and the Quarter finals of the Fa Cup? I remember well that the Carling Cup semi v Man Utd was only £10 for me (Young adult price range). If that's the case Forest definately played less games than us.

That was the 08-09 season, he is talking about the 09-10 season.

I think a decrease in the attendances and atmosphere is due to the restructuring of the young adult prices.

It used to be always less than £20 for a young adult ticket (17-21). Now it requires a YA membership of £25 to get this deal.

This ticket offer used to be great to young people who are at Uni (sorry I know everyone on here hates students unless they are one), or who haven't the financial stability to commit to a season ticket.

Young people fill the south east corner and south, and they raise their voices, join in the chants and get the atmosphere going.

It's all very well letting kids in for peanuts as a marketing strategy, but it's also the reason why the atmosphere at PPS is now so *****. Why can't they make student/YA tickets cheaper? It would fill seats that would otherwise be empty and it would make the stadium louder.

If the YA tickets were still cheap without having to commit to a membership, the numbers would increase by at least a couple of thousand I think.

Just my opinion anyway.

You make a good point there the idea that giving young kids free tickets and they will go forever more is flawed. A lot of kids are introduced to football playing and watching by their parents and lose interest, I see that being involved in Junior Football. It is the young lads 13 to 16 going with their mates who are the ones most likely to continue going as adults and they are the ones who need the most looking after in my view.

This is not the first time you've posted this. On what are you basing this? Presumably people buy tickets for games. I know I have done in the past. What about people who buy the X game plan tickets? Not season tickets, but presumably they have to pay for their ticket somehow. Probably all getting clumped in the 4000 you just presume get in for nowt.

There are some freebies, and some discounts - but I severely doubt it's near the 4000 you mention.

In fact I might email Glick now. I've mailed him once in the past and he was polite and friendly with a response - so I'm fairly comfortable he'll reply. Have you tried asking him of his opinion of your plans?

It would be interesting to hear what Glick says in response to your e-mail. I haven't e-mailed myself as I wouldn't expect him to ever give the proper picture. Having children myself I have seen how many tickets have been offered to schools and football clubs, plus you hear around all the other people who can get freebies or discounts from various work sources. Add that to the listed accounts revenue figures and just seeing how few people who are in the TO on matchdays put this all together and it is pretty clear we don't sell too many full adult price match tickets.

It would be interesting to hear what Glick says in response to your e-mail. I haven't e-mailed myself as I wouldn't expect him to ever give the proper picture. Having children myself I have seen how many tickets have been offered to schools and football clubs, plus you hear around all the other people who can get freebies or discounts from various work sources. Add that to the listed accounts revenue figures and just seeing how few people who are in the TO on matchdays put this all together and it is pretty clear we don't sell too many full adult price match tickets.

You count work sources as freebies, but that is the individual employee who is getting the freebie from his employer, the company itself will be getting the tickets due to some kind of sponsorship/revenue gain for Derby County. In the big picture, it is a paid for ticket.

You make a good point there the idea that giving young kids free tickets and they will go forever more is flawed. A lot of kids are introduced to football playing and watching by their parents and lose interest, I see that being involved in Junior Football. It is the young lads 13 to 16 going with their mates who are the ones most likely to continue going as adults and they are the ones who need the most looking after in my view.

Personally, and this probably won't go down well but I just don't think the younger kids should go to football matches. Maybe I'm jealous that I had to wait until I was ten to start going regularly. But a lot of kids aren't actually watching the game, and a lot are playing on their Nintendo DS, phone or glancing through the programme during the game. It's not their fault that they have shorter attention spans nowadays (apologies if I already sound like your granddad at the age of 21) but I think a lot of the time kids going is a waste of a seat, especially when it's a lot cheaper or even free so not generating as much revenue.

Children are just a cash cow for the club in terms of shirt and programme sales really. Just because they've been dragged along by their parents and a shirt thrown over them doesn't mean they've started their lifelong love affair with the club and will be the ST holders of tomorrow when they grow up, this seems to be the logic of making football family friendly.

It would be better if the club made a set of new marketing strategies to bring in people aged 13-23 who are likelier to make the atmosphere better.

Also it's a football stadium full of thousands with appalling language (myself shamefully included) and not a cinema showing a Disney film.

Other initiatives like DCITC need to fulfil the role of bringing in the future generation of Rams, who won't become full adult paying ST holders for ten years.

Personally, and this probably won't go down well but I just don't think the younger kids should go to football matches. Maybe I'm jealous that I had to wait until I was ten to start going regularly. But a lot of kids aren't actually watching the game, and a lot are playing on their Nintendo DS, phone or glancing through the programme during the game. It's not their fault that they have shorter attention spans nowadays (apologies if I already sound like your granddad at the age of 21) but I think a lot of the time kids going is a waste of a seat, especially when it's a lot cheaper or even free so not generating as much revenue.

Children are just a cash cow for the club in terms of shirt and programme sales really. Just because they've been dragged along by their parents and a shirt thrown over them doesn't mean they've started their lifelong love affair with the club and will be the ST holders of tomorrow when they grow up, this seems to be the logic of making football family friendly.

It would be better if the club made a set of new marketing strategies to bring in people aged 13-23 who are likelier to make the atmosphere better.

Nonesense.

If I wasn't going to the Baseball Ground with my Dad when I was 8yrs old, I'm certain I'd have grown up to be a Man Utd fan.

Nonesense.

If I wasn't going to the Baseball Ground with my Dad when I was 8yrs old, I'm certain I'd have grown up to be a Man Utd fan.

Going to a match and actually physically seeing the players, live has an impact on them supporting the club. But I think kids straying towards Manure is purely because of television.

Also, you probably didn't bring your Nintendo DS/Gameboy along to the match with a packed lunch.

Also it's a football stadium full of thousands with appalling language (myself shamefully included) and not a cinema showing a Disney film.

You are spot on there and I say that as somebody who has his lad on a free ticket. You see so many who just don't want to be there certainly no children under 7 should be allowed in they are too young. It should cost £5 to take a child in then at least people would at least make sure their child is interested before buying a ticket.

Going to a match and actually physically seeing the players, live has an impact on them supporting the club. But I think kids straying towards Manure is purely because of television.

Come on mate don't use that childish nickname it's United or Manchester United. I take it you were not around in the 80's when the scoucers were winning everything playing in the main boring football.

There is a lot to dislike about United especially the way they treat supporters but if the alternative to United is Liverpool being the main team again I'll go with United every day.

You are spot on there and I say that as somebody who has his lad on a free ticket. You see so many who just don't want to be there certainly no children under 7 should be allowed in they are too young. It should cost £5 to take a child in then at least people would at least make sure their child is interested before buying a ticket.

Yeah that would make sense. I went very rarely when I was about 8 but that's only because I was constantly begging my Dad or my brother to take me to a match. And even though I didn't really have a clue what was going on I was still able to declare Dean Sturridge as my hero, and I never had a game boy. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Also, you probably didn't bring your Nintendo DS/Gameboy along to the match with a packed lunch.

I still have an autograph book =)

I was drinking Bovril (well, I think it was Oxo at the time) and eating Polo's, that was the packed lunch, Man Utd was off the back of them winning the Cup Winners Cup in 1991, and us getting relegated, but fortunately I saw the light.

I do remember missing one game that season against Everton due to it being shown live on TV, and I wanted to stay home and watch in case I saw myself on TV (yes I'm kidding about that end part).

You mean like offering a way of saving money over attending 5 or more games? Maybe offering a membership for £25 that saves £5 or more a match, or that gives a few dads and there sons going as a group free kids tickets.

Come on mate don't use that childish nickname it's United or Manchester United. I take it you were not around in the 80's when the scoucers were winning everything playing in the main boring football.

There is a lot to dislike about United especially the way they treat supporters but if the alternative to United is Liverpool being the main team again I'll go with United every day.

It's manure, unless you are a closet man utd fan of course 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

You mean like offering a way of saving money over attending 5 or more games? Maybe offering a membership for £25 that saves £5 or more a match, or that gives a few dads and there sons going as a group free kids tickets.

I'm talking about people aged 13-23 who are at an age where their parents won't pay for their season tickets, and who will be expected to get a part time job to pay for their own. Also they'll be unlikely to have the stability of regular hours to afford a season ticket. Also, there are a lot of students who live elsewhere but come back to Derby for the occasional weekend so it wouldn't be worth getting a ST, and certainly not worth paying £30 for a single ticket. So maybe something like five matches for the price of four would be good, or a free bottle of Coke/pint of diluted Danish lager with tickets. Lol.

But I'm no marketing executive, I just want to see the Pride Park atmosphere improve because it's currently embarrassing.

Archived