tax

alexxxxx

I'm a student and during term time i work and don't earn anywhere near enough to get taxed. I don't get taxed when working for them.

I'm back in Nottingham for the summer and working here, however on my first pay i was taxed. I've heard from my friends that you always get taxed on your second job and you have to claim it back? Is this true? Or was it because my tax form i completed at work has not been processed yet. To be fair i was only taxed £14 last time round but this week i'm working a lot and i need all the money i can get for my holiday..

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a student and during term time i work and don't earn anywhere near enough to get taxed. I don't get taxed when working for them.

I'm back in Nottingham for the summer and working here, however on my first pay i was taxed. I've heard from my friends that you always get taxed on your second job and you have to claim it back? Is this true? Or was it because my tax form i completed at work has not been processed yet. To be fair i was only taxed £14 last time round but this week i'm working a lot and i need all the money i can get for my holiday..

As a student you will get taxed if you earn over your weekly/monthly threshold or if you do two jobs.

This money can be claimed back, but only at the end of the tax year (eg next April) when you can provide the relevant end of year P60 forms to prove that for the entire year you earned less than the threshold for getting taxed.

This can be claimed for up to 5 years previous

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/overpaid_tax_back_1_1.htm

I know this as I went through the same thing at Uni...unfortuantely by the time I found this out I had thrown all my paperwork away...very stupid! Do not do this!

As a student you will get taxed if you earn over your weekly/monthly threshold or if you do two jobs.

This money can be claimed back, but only at the end of the tax year (eg next April) when you can provide the relevant end of year P60 forms to prove that for the entire year you earned less than the threshold for getting taxed.

This can be claimed for up to 5 years previous

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/overpaid_tax_back_1_1.htm

I know this as I went through the same thing at Uni...unfortuantely by the time I found this out I had thrown all my paperwork away...very stupid! Do not do this!

so there's no way that this would sort itself out? im not technically working at my job in manchester atm... arghhh i need the money now.:mad:

so there's no way that this would sort itself out? im not technically working at my job in manchester atm... arghhh i need the money now.:mad:

I dont think so unfrotuantely. Best thing would be to ring HMRC and ask them mind - that is if you've got a spare hour to wait on hold. Their customer service is pretty ******

I dont think so unfrotuantely. Best thing would be to ring HMRC and ask them mind - that is if you've got a spare hour to wait on hold. Their customer service is pretty ******

i guess i'll have to.. maybe it'll sort itself out.. maybe.

£14???? barstewards thats 2 crates from tesco when the offers are on lol

on a serious note when you get a job after student life you will cry at the rate of tax needless to say I have been royaly fisted this month by the tax man :rolleyes:

£14???? barstewards thats 2 crates from tesco when the offers are on lol

on a serious note when you get a job after student life you will cry at the rate of tax needless to say I have been royaly fisted this month by the tax man :rolleyes:

seeing as i have only £40 in my account atm £14 is a lot for me haha. don't worry, ill feel the force soon, on top of student loan debts.. :o

Archived