Robinson lays into to Coventry

Stimacked

Swear this SISU lot were after buying us a few years ago. Sounds like we got off lucky, avoiding their ownership.

Former Coventry City Chairman Geoffrey Robinson has hit out at the current board and urged them to find to find a good home for the club.

Speaking to the CT, the MP said: “The football club is a total disaster.

“They have made a total mess of it – a disgraceful mess – and they should find a good home for the club as soon as possible, write off their losses – which they are entirely responsible for themselves – and let’s get the club back on the up.

“With this ownership and these people, the club has no future. "I have grave concerns about the club because the owners have turned out to be an absolute waste of time and space.

“The club and the city deserve better than they have produced. "They gave all sorts of statements about what they intended to do for the club and how they were going to get us back to the Premier League, all the usual stuff, and I believed it.

“Of course you can’t, in those circumstances, get a written undertaking because you can’t do anything if it doesn’t come off.

“But I am bitterly disappointed, as disappointed as any man possibly could be.”

Mr Robinson aso admitted that if things were left up to him that he would not have handed the club to SISU and said: “We had a very good alternative buyer but the council didn’t approve of one of the people involved and black-balled it.

Puts things in perspective with ourselves. At least our board have finally started to show some interest in our club,

no doubt thanks to all the protests last season and the falling gates. looks like Cov could be in the deep doggy doo this season.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swear this SISU lot were after buying us a few years ago. Sounds like we got off lucky, avoiding their ownership.

Former Coventry City Chairman Geoffrey Robinson has hit out at the current board and urged them to find to find a good home for the club.

Speaking to the CT, the MP said: “The football club is a total disaster.

“They have made a total mess of it – a disgraceful mess – and they should find a good home for the club as soon as possible, write off their losses – which they are entirely responsible for themselves – and let’s get the club back on the up.

“With this ownership and these people, the club has no future. "I have grave concerns about the club because the owners have turned out to be an absolute waste of time and space.

“The club and the city deserve better than they have produced. "They gave all sorts of statements about what they intended to do for the club and how they were going to get us back to the Premier League, all the usual stuff, and I believed it.

“Of course you can’t, in those circumstances, get a written undertaking because you can’t do anything if it doesn’t come off.

“But I am bitterly disappointed, as disappointed as any man possibly could be.”

Mr Robinson aso admitted that if things were left up to him that he would not have handed the club to SISU and said: “We had a very good alternative buyer but the council didn’t approve of one of the people involved and black-balled it.

Puts things in perspective with ourselves. At least our board have finally started to show some interest in our club,

no doubt thanks to all the protests last season and the falling gates. looks like Cov could be in the deep doggy doo this season.

I struggle to understand this comment as I thought our board had done exactly what they said they were going to. I am not a board lover or hater, I judge people on their actions based on what they have said.

The meetings I attended with our board, they said at the outset that 2 or 3 years of debt reduction, to get the finances in order, were essential before the club could move forward. I think you will find that Derby's financial position is the envy of the vast majority of teams in the top two divisions.

As for investment, several skeletons in the closet came out in respect of players contracts with no break clauses written in, these have had to be accounted for (I think Ramblur has the approximate figure on this).

As for investment, I believe that we are now only seeing the start of this, similar to the views of many other fans.

The vast majority of clubs saw falling attendances last season, Derby's held up comparatively well when compared on a percentage analysis. Certainly it would not normally make sense to dash out and invest in the playing squad if your income was dramatically down, the 500 to 1000 range quoted as the drop in season ticket sales equates to £150k to £300k (a relatively small value of Derby's turnover).

I would suggest the bigger reason for investment now is the forthcoming drop in TV revenue which will have a substantial impact on the income of football league clubs, hence the vote and actions decided upon in Paphos earlier this month, I doubt the protests had very little to do with the decision to invest in the playing squad at this moment in time.

I struggle to understand this comment as I thought our board had done exactly what they said they were going to. I am not a board lover or hater, I judge people on their actions based on what they have said.

The meetings I attended with our board, they said at the outset that 2 or 3 years of debt reduction, to get the finances in order, were essential before the club could move forward. I think you will find that Derby's financial position is the envy of the vast majority of teams in the top two divisions.

As for investment, several skeletons in the closet came out in respect of players contracts with no break clauses written in, these have had to be accounted for (I think Ramblur has the approximate figure on this).

As for investment, I believe that we are now only seeing the start of this, similar to the views of many other fans.

The vast majority of clubs saw falling attendances last season, Derby's held up comparatively well when compared on a percentage analysis. Certainly it would not normally make sense to dash out and invest in the playing squad if your income was dramatically down, the 500 to 1000 range quoted as the drop in season ticket sales equates to £150k to £300k (a relatively small value of Derby's turnover).

I would suggest the bigger reason for investment now is the forthcoming drop in TV revenue which will have a substantial impact on the income of football league clubs, hence the vote and actions decided upon in Paphos earlier this month, I doubt the protests had very little to do with the decision to invest in the playing squad at this moment in time.

Meh, we're on plan V.

Absolute ******** that it was our investors intentions to be waddling around the bottom of this division. I'd bet quite alot of money we're not the envy of most clubs....alot of debt is secured against assets....nothing to do with the owners.

******** to the investment aswell.......there isn't any.

Love to know where Hulse, Moxey, Varney transfer fees and the wages of Commons, Porter andSavage have gone along with the three already mentioned. Probably to pay for everyone we've signed.

Replaced with cheap, low paid, untested at this level, young unheard ofs. This squad is weaker than this time last year. Investment my ******* arse. We're the Aldi of the Championship.

Oh yeah. No holding back.

========Bywater=========

Brayford Barker Leacock Moxey

======Savage Bailey======

===Green Commons Bueno===

=========Hulse=========

Now if we'd invested and got Shackell and erm.......................................................................................................................................................yeah Shackell, oh yeah, Fielding, we would have improved.

I'm glad that Savage has gone waste of money, drain on the clubs resources and I'm sure all of his twitter video/media work had a negative result on teamwork, if we can get 3 decent players on the ponce's wages, I can't see how it is a bad thing.

The worst signing in this clubs history.

Like I said, tecnically he's nowhere near our worst ever - but in terms of the cost and how his wages helped put us in such dire financial straits, then it was a bad signing.

I liked Sav, if only for the fact that he displayed a bit of passion and although his legs were clearly gone, there was still effort and endeavor there. Thankfully, now, I think with Barker, Shackell and possibly Eustace, we'll have his better attributes and not his worst ones.

Love to know where Hulse, Moxey, Varney transfer fees and the wages of Commons, Porter andSavage have gone along with the three already mentioned. Probably to pay for everyone we've signed.

Replaced with cheap, low paid, untested at this level, young unheard ofs. This squad is weaker than this time last year. Investment my ******* arse. We're the Aldi of the Championship.

Investment is investment is investment, it doesn't matter where it's come from. If you spend money, you've spent money.

========Bywater=========

Brayford Barker Leacock Moxey

======Savage Bailey======

===Green Commons Bueno===

=========Hulse=========

Now if we'd invested and got Shackell and erm.......................................................................................................................................................yeah Shackell, oh yeah, Fielding, we would have improved.

Erm, what?

Meh, we're on plan V.

Absolute ******** that it was our investors intentions to be waddling around the bottom of this division. I'd bet quite alot of money we're not the envy of most clubs....alot of debt is secured against assets....nothing to do with the owners.

******** to the investment aswell.......there isn't any.

I don't think I ever said it was GSE's intention for us to be where we were in the league, my statement of their intention is based on what Tom Glick said at several Fans Forum events. I agree with your comment on financing the remaining debt as this would be the most competitive way of financing itt - statement of the obvious really. Fact of the matter is that we are the envy of most clubs, refer to the Delloite report on the state of football finance.

My comment on the issue of the protests not being the catylist for investment is an opinion based on other factors influencing future revenue streams in to the club, namely falling TV income.

SISU were the other consortium interested when PG took over I think.

I thought it was the lot Jeremy Keith went running to for support then the ship started sinking.

Investment is investment is investment, it doesn't matter where it's come from. If you spend money, you've spent money.

We're not getting investment....that's my point. No more money will go in from January this year until we go up. Could be waiting along time.

also to say this was the plan from the outset i think is a bit of a red herring with all the cost cutting, the board paid for Jewell's players i think hoping to bounce straight back up, when it didn't work out the investors who aren't g.s.e., said we aren't going to finance this with all the debt the club has in the second tier and having to either pay off players/buy a new squad, so they have been cost cutting for 2 years while putting minimal money aside for players, we are still running at a loss, not a profit and glick said the owners have financed the loss so we remain free of any outstanding cash debt except the mortgage, remember their first message, we want to model ourselves on the aston villa model. I

Whether they planned investing now or not it doesn't matter, the fact is they were either very lucky with timing or were forced into it, if there were no new players coming in or very few with a mass going out then i think most of the fans would have said enough is enough. The board saw people generally weren't pleased and that may have pushed the balance.

On the Coventry topic.....

lol.

Stopped giving a sh1te about that small time club when they sold their souls. When the fans sing the name and the big ***** pay the wages of a career criminal like Marlon King i hope their problems get much, much worse before they get better.

Suitable rivals of Leicester.

• 3 weeks later...

Coventry City caught in a cash crisis

21 July ~ For most of Coventry's ten seasons in English football's second tier, the new campaign has begun with talk of promotions or play-offs. But, with star assets sold or lost and no money seemingly available for replacements, the club's fears for Championship status in 2011-12 are matched only by fears for survival itself. An alarming slump at the end of last season left Sky Blues fans with very real fears of relegation. Off the pitch, the unexpected failure of either Coventry City Football Club Ltd or its holding company to post accounts in March was followed by the £1 million remortgage of the only freehold property the club owned – their training ground, upgraded in 2008 for a princely £500,000.

Losses among playing staff following the season's conclusion have also been significant. Goalkeeper Keiran Westwood has moved to Sunderland and Aron Gunnarsson has gone to Cardiff, while Marlon King acrimoniously defected to Birmingham and new club captain Sammy Clingan has reportedly been the subject of interest from Leeds. Lee Carsley and Michael McIndoe are now free agents. While last season's transfer embargo has been lifted, only goalkeepers Chris Dunn from Northampton and Joe Murphy from Ssausagehorpe have so far arrived at the Ricoh Arena.

Coventry are reportedly losing money every month and owners Sisu have rejected buyout offers from a consortium led by former vice-chairman Gary Hoffman. An initial verbal approach was rejected, while an official written offer was dismissed, according to club chief executive Paul Clouting, because "It was on a plain sheet of paper. It wasn't headed and wasn't signed… The note that was sent back to Mr Hoffman said that it can't take the offer seriously as the identity of the person wishing to buy the club isn't disclosed. On July 1 Mr Hoffman wrote to the club saying with sadness any offer has been taken off the table."

Hoffman has since confirmed that his investors remain interested, but impatient. A popular conspiracy theory among fans alleges that Sisu are waiting for a sell-on clause for Birmingham's Scott Dann to be activated, should he leave St Andrew's, before selling up. What is certainly true is that while they have gone on the offensive recently – Clouting has confirmed that Sisu would continue to fund the club, but could not say that further player sales would not take place to raise funds – the club's stadium, the Ricoh Arena, continues to cripple its progress.

The Sky Blues' home, yet to see a league sellout in six years of existence, has hamstrung Coventry ever since its tardy completion in 2005. Currently tenants under a cooperation agreement with stadium owners ACL, the club have struggled with the balance of restricted income and ambitious investment in challenging for promotion. While Hoffman's consortium is believed to be prepared to make £30m available (£10m to purchase a stake in the Ricoh and the rest to buy out Sisu), there will need to be some movement soon to ensure the club escapes a crisis similar to that which it was embroiled in back in 2007, when Sisu were the knights in shining armour. For the moment though, the attrition is worrying. Rob Macdonald

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/7431/38/

Archived