NC hopeful on transfer front

CumbrianRam

Nigel Clough is hopeful of adding to his squad before Derby County's players report back for pre-season training later this week.

The players are due to report back for pre-season training at Moor Farm on Friday 1st July to begin their preparations for the forthcoming 2011/12 season.

Clough, who has already made six signings this summer, remains confident the Rams will be able to make more signings in the next few days.

He says Derby are 'close' on a couple of deals, and hopes the players concerned will be in a position to put pen-to-paper before the week is out.

Clough told Rams Player: "We are reasonably pleased with the business we've conducted so far.

"There's still a bit of work to do both in and out.

"We have a few more positions to fill, for cover or otherwise.

"We are actively working hard to secure those deals; hopefully some can be completed this week.

"In an ideal world we would like them in by the start of training.

"We are close with a couple which we hope to tie up before Friday, and then a few more at some point in July

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 91,00.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe we are close to signing Legzy (that is his name from now on, agreed?) and Maguire, the 2 we're hopefully going to be adding to the squad in july are going to be Eustace and Waghorn, think Waghorn will be in first and then Eustace but does depend on Watford and Leicester getting players in.

Funny cus those last two are the only players i wish we weren't signing...

Any reason?

I'd be jumping for joy if we signed both Eustance and Waghorn. I'd in fact be placing a 'cheeky' bet on us getting promoted. Not because I think we will, but because there is an outside chance with those two.

Eustace wasn't up to much when we had him on loan was he. I know he was coming back from injury and he didn't really know the team but I saw enough of him to think "I'm glad we haven't signed him on a perm..."

As for Waghorn, he seems too similar to what we've got or who we are bringing in. I'd prefer someone a little more proven when it comes to sticking the goals in...

Any reason?

I'd be jumping for joy if we signed both Eustance and Waghorn. I'd in fact be placing a 'cheeky' bet on us getting promoted. Not because I think we will, but because there is an outside chance with those two.

Waghorn is all potential, give him the right service and time to grow he'll be a brilliant striker there was a reason leicester had to pay so much and when i've seen him get a chance inside the box he'll put the ball into the net, he is at that age where he needs a manager to put faith in him and back him to score and I'm sure he can.

As for Eustace proven track record when working with young players, had a fantastic year last year and would be another leader in the ranks, which would certainly give us a mental competitive edge, well IMO of course.

Eustace wasn't up to much when we had him on loan was he. I know he was coming back from injury and he didn't really know the team but I saw enough of him to think "I'm glad we haven't signed him on a perm..."

As for Waghorn, he seems too similar to what we've got or who we are bringing in. I'd prefer someone a little more proven when it comes to sticking the goals in...

Eustance is one of the more solid centremids in the league, and had a fantastic season last year. He is a leader and the type of player that can do the dirty work so Bailey, Bryson et al can do their own thing. He's exactly the type of player we need.

As for Waghorn, how is he similar to any of our strikers? He actually knows where the net is for one (something we are lacking) as well as being more of a pest, exactly the type of striker we need. We've got Robinson and Tyson for pure pace. Maguire is talented by all accounts, but not a out and out goal scorer as such, Ward is probably the closest to him and he's not really that similar either.

Eustance is one of the more solid centremids in the league, and had a fantastic season last year. He is a leader and the type of player that can do the dirty work so Bailey, Bryson et al can do their own thing. He's exactly the type of player we need.

As for Waghorn, how is he similar to any of our strikers? He actually knows where the net is for one (something we are lacking) as well as being more of a pest, exactly the type of striker we need. We've got Robinson and Tyson for pure pace. Maguire is talented by all accounts, but not a out and out goal scorer as such, Ward is probably the closest to him and he's not really that similar either.

Waghorn for all intensive purposes is like Billy Sharp IMO, yet he hasn't really had the chance to show how good he can be, due to getting lost under new management hopefully we can come out of this situation with a really good player on the cheap, Leicester have just sold Hobbs to Hull who like Waghorn and Fryatt was lost under new ownership and management at Leicester.

He's hardly been prolific so far in his career. I don't doubt he has potential but for such a pivitol role I'd want someone with a better record than his. I'm happy to be proven wrong, all i'm saying is these two potential signings haven't got my juices flowing, they could be stellar signings but just as easily be flops...

Eustance isn't the kind of player who'll be a flop. He's been around the Championship for long enough now.

Waghorn hit 12 goals in his last full season before falling out of favour at Leicester, and that was 19. I honestly would just throw support behind him and see what comes of it.

I hope Eustace is one. He's steady and experienced. Exactly the sort of player we need imo. Especially towards the closing 10mins.

Although Moussi still hasn't signed a contract as he? :D

There's been a few players knocking about out of contract with proven experience and a bit of quality. I hate to see quality players of the sort we need shift from one Championship club to another without Derby showing interest. But i suppose there's no knowing what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe we are interested.

Would of liked Norris and Kilkenny.

Suprised Leicester aren't trying to attract Moussi. They need that sort of player to anchor their impressive attacking midfield.

Nevermind, i'm dreaming if i think we'll get Moussi. He'll only move to West Ham, Leicester or a top flight team if he moves at all i'd bet. Possibly even to France?

Olofinjana is back at Hull. Do they want him? :whistle:

Moussi isn't that good IMO seems very irratic from what I've seen, will make a brilliant challenge that catches the headline or have a thunder bolt shot that goes scrapes over the bar (rarely go in) but apart from that, he seems to lose the ball alot and isn't that sensible in position. I think we need a consistent 7/10 performer in that defensive midfield team who is disciplined, not saying Moussi is a poor player but far from consistent IMO.

Kilkenny?! He's absolutely rubbish! Well, that's very harsh, he's an okay player, but really nothing to get exited about.

How do I know this, watching him for Australia (and occasionally Leeds) over the years. He has the right ingredients to be a very good midfielder, but isn't as good as he should be. Maybe he'll get better.

Waghorn for all intensive purposes is like Billy Sharp IMO, yet he hasn't really had the chance to show how good he can be, due to getting lost under new management hopefully we can come out of this situation with a really good player on the cheap, Leicester have just sold Hobbs to Hull who like Waghorn and Fryatt was lost under new ownership and management at Leicester.

Spot on. From what i've seen from Waghorn he is very similar to Sharp, works hard, can hold the ball up well, and is a decent finisher. Leicester fans love him and would be dissapointed to see him go.

As for Eustace, I too think he'd be a good signing for us. Does the simple things well and will hold his position in front of the defence which will hopefully stop us getting exploited through the middle which happened time and time again last season.

• 2 weeks later...
AN experienced midfielder and defensive cover remain high on Derby County manager Nigel Clough's wanted list.

Derby have bolstered their squad with eight new signings so far.

Three of them – Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson – spent loan spells with the Rams last season.

The other new arrivals are Nathan Tyson, Jason Shackell, Craig Bryson, Chris Maguire and Adam Legzdins, another goalkeeper.

Clough feels Derby still need more new faces as he moulds his squad for the Championship campaign ahead.

"The shape of the squad is coming on but, ideally, we are still two or three players short, maybe even four," said Clough.

"Shaun Barker is going to miss the start of the season as is Paul Green, so there are two experienced players we are without straight away.

"We are a bit light on defensive cover, which we are working on.

"An experienced midfielder is another, as is another option up front.

"We did chase somebody who would have covered us across the back four. (Eustace??) There are only a few people who can do that and there are not too many of them around but we could do with some cover at full-back.

"John Brayford has been incredible to play every minute of every game, and we'd like to think he can do the same this season.

"Lee Croft played right-back in a practice match on Tuesday, and did well. He has come back in good shape, so don't rule anything out.

"It was good to get a number of new signings completed before the start of pre-season. The signings we have made are just part of the jigsaw and we are still a few pieces light."

Right-back Brayford and left-back Gareth Roberts are Derby's only recognised full-backs.

Of the centre-backs, Shackell has arrived from Barnsley but Barker is recovering from surgery on his knee and the club has yet to place a timescale on the skipper's return to action.

Russell Anderson and Jake Buxton are training and hoping for better luck with injuries than they had last season when Anderson made just four starts and Buxton none.

Dean Leacock made only three starts in the second half of last season.

Chris Riggott is training with Derby and hoping to earn himself a contract after being plagued by injuries in recent years.

Further signings could depend on players moving out.

"We've got a few players in the last year of their contract, so that's something we've got to look at. If there are inquiries, we will judge them on their merit as they come in," said Clough.

"The transfer window is open for another seven weeks, so a lot of clubs will be like us and see what they've got in pre-season and what they need."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Midfield-player-priority-Clough/story-12897057-detail/story.html

Archived