The verdict so far ??

BBG

Now we have a few signings in place I was wondering what the opinion was so far , the most pleasing thing is that they are permanent signings. If we use the loan system well then this could be a defining season, the defence looks much more solid, I'd like to see a new younger left back but no big shakes if not.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very happy with who we've signed, and if we add Waghorn, a midfield general and a leftback I'll be jumping for joy. Not because I think we're going to get promoted, but rather because we've made some good signings who will make the team stronger. Whether that means we'll have a shot at the top 6 and promotion, I don't really care at this point in time. If Nigel can get this new lot playing like we were at the start of last season and keep that going then anything is possible.

Now we have a few signings in place I was wondering what the opinion was so far , the most pleasing thing is that they are permanent signings. If we use the loan system well then this could be a defining season, the defence looks much more solid, I'd like to see a new younger left back but no big shakes if not.

Happy with the signings so far.

Hope we don't have to use the loan system at all next season.

Maguire? Bryson? Ward? There's a bit of creativity there. Maybe we're still looking into another creative midfielder?

Do you know more than I do? Why will Maguire bring us creativity? Or Bryson for that matter?

We cannot also assume that either will slot straight into the first team. They may not be good enough for a regular slot. They have never played at this level so both represent a gamble.

The main thing this season is to stop leaking those stupid goals that have cost us so many games in the last few seasons. A keeper that the back 4 have confidence in will aid that. Barker after his operation will likely be a different player from the rather slow error ridden player we saw last season and will also benefit from having a regular partner in Shackell.

I am just wondering where the creativity will come from though? The season declined rapidly once Commons left. Bueno was inconsistent but at least he showed some creativity. He is now also gone. That leaves Cwyka as our only creative player???

Cywka, Maguire, Ward and Bailey will provide the creativity.

Not one of them are as good as Bueno or Commons, but with all of them in the side, you can atleast expect one or more of those to be on form.

Much better than being dependent on one player. We've had fans screaming for a playmaker for a few seasons, but I think it's foolhardy - if you have a playmaker who's decent and he gets injured, then what? It's much better to have creativity spread about the pitch.

I'm not sure that cywka will feature much unfortunately....

we've had 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, time for a diamond?

...............................GOOFY.............WARD

.......................................(MAGUIRE)

......................BRYSON.................BAILEY

.....................................(EUSTACE)

ROBOT........SKACKELL.............(RIGGOTT)..........BRAYFORD

......................................FIELDING

SUBS:

ROBINSON

DAVIES S

DAVIES B

ANDERSON

DEENEY

PEARSON if he's here

ADDISON if he's here

plus GREEN when he's fit

plus BARKER instead of RIGGOTT when he's fit

I'm not sure that cywka will feature much unfortunately....

we've had 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, time for a diamond?

...............................GOOFY.............WARD

.......................................(MAGUIRE)

......................BRYSON.................BAILEY

.....................................(EUSTACE)

ROBOT........SKACKELL.............(RIGGOTT)..........BRAYFORD

......................................FIELDING

SUBS:

ROBINSON

DAVIES S

DAVIES B

ANDERSON

DEENEY

PEARSON if he's here

ADDISON if he's here

plus GREEN when he's fit

plus BARKER instead of RIGGOTT when he's fit

...nuff said...

i meant when Barker is fit....but i know what you mean.

I know. I really do hope Riggott proves his fitness and signs for us in some capacity. More nostalgia than anything else, but how amazing would it be to have the Riggott of old back!

I am just wondering where the creativity will come from though? The season declined rapidly once Commons left. Bueno was inconsistent but at least he showed some creativity. He is now also gone. That leaves Cwyka as our only creative player???

Erm, the season declined when Commons was still here....

10/10 for both Mr Glick and Mr Clough from me

• we have bought the players we targeted
  • they all appear to be/have been wanted by their selling clubs and fans - always a good sign
  • we have strengthened the defence with Shackell and the attack with several
  • we have bought quickly - there are lots of clubs who have done no business at all - which shows good planning and scouting fom last year
  • we have been aggressive and not overpaid
  • we haven't spoken about our targets in advance - a better approach
  • we are still in the running for others who will strengthen the team/squad
  • the players we have bought are a 'good age' - not old, not young - and if we go up (god forbid) they will have a mix of experience and youth. Next season (12/13) will be right to go up.
  • we still have the possibility of loans to add some extra, either at the start or later in the year
  • we have competition for places all over the pitch (except LB) - play well or you're not in

the only issues for me - and Glick is on the BBC website saying that we are still after another striker, a left back and a midfielder - is will the new team be a team (we won't know that until they start) and will we move on those that we don't want?

well done all.

I know what you mean about a large influx of players and if they all gel as a team straight away but if they're all in (or at least the majority) for pre-season then there's more chance of them being a 'team' than the past two seasons when the team has chopped and changed due to the in and out of loan signings for 3 months here and there.

Personally I think its what the club should be doing anyway, we shouldn't have had to wait 2 or 3 seasons to start spending money and signing good players at cheapish prices, theres always bargains out there that we have missed out on in previous years.

We seem to be running like a good club nowadays which is great considering our past ownerships, but I wouldn't be fooled into thinking the owners are digging deep for the transfer funds

Happy with the signings so far.

Hope we don't have to use the loan system at all next season.

Think the loan system could be great for us but on a much lesser scale than in the past, why not get a young pacy left back on loan ?

Do you know more than I do? Why will Maguire bring us creativity? Or Bryson for that matter?

We cannot also assume that either will slot straight into the first team. They may not be good enough for a regular slot. They have never played at this level so both represent a gamble.

The main thing this season is to stop leaking those stupid goals that have cost us so many games in the last few seasons. A keeper that the back 4 have confidence in will aid that. Barker after his operation will likely be a different player from the rather slow error ridden player we saw last season and will also benefit from having a regular partner in Shackell.

Touch wood and the newbies will slot in and produce in an attacking sense....and i agree we've been abysmal defensively over recent years and thats where we need to plug the gaps for a starter.A side harder to beat, that wont drop headsand allow themselves to be tonked...a team capable of absorbing pressure and counters...then we're always in the game regardless of opposing teams possession etc .Signs are good i reckon,we've already added pace for counter attack and the back line has big potential if they form an understanding....Certainly happier vibes for me going into the new season...A decent LB now....which by all accounts seems to be the position most teams are trying to fill with quality....has the old fashioned out an out LB gone extinct? Off topic i know but decent ones seem to be like gold dust nowadays....Is Steve Buckley still pottering about?He used to take a few legs off...

Erm, the season declined when Commons was still here....

Just about to say the same thing, people blame GSE for our decline through the sale of Commons yet our drop in from happened a good 2 months before he left. And picked up with Jamie Ward our new messiah in the team.

I think how happy i'll be depends on if we get Waghorn or not. If we bring him in then he will be the real stand out of the new crop and make a genuine difference attacking wise while also having a good work ethic. We need a CM and LB (maybe on loan if not the targets we have identified) too but it is in Waghorn I will be keeping my fingers crossed for.

BTW; I think that most of our permanent transfers represent good business assets who will increase in value.

I think how happy i'll be depends on if we get Waghorn or not. If we bring him in then he will be the real stand out of the new crop and make a genuine difference attacking wise while also having a good work ethic. We need a CM and LB (maybe on loan if not the targets we have identified) too but it is in Waghorn I will be keeping my fingers crossed for.

BTW; I think that most of our permanent transfers represent good business assets who will increase in value.

I think LB must be the priority as we haven't had a decent one since, erm well for a long long time. Not too worried if we don't get another striker as long as the defence is sorted, if we do get another CF I have an inkling it could be a freebie or a season long loan- maybe even from the prem.

Archived