The Forest inferiority complex

tomsdubs

Back on topic -

As a non-resident of Derby I am slightly removed from the intensity of the Derby-Forest hate fest but I will throw in my six pennorth' anyway.

When Forest got promoted in 77 and went on to win the league under Clough in 78 it was with Archie Gemmill, John McGovern and John O'Hare as the heartbeat of the team. These were, of course, Clough's men from the the Derby title winning team of 71/72.

Without these ex Derby players and the ex Derby management team of Clough and Taylor, Forest would never have had any "glory years".

Their 79 and 80 euro cup wins would never have happened without the Derby connection.

As the reddogs gloated we would remind them that it was just Derby being kind to our unfortunate neighbours that had allowed them to briefly (in the two clubs history's), be in the ascendency.

They've never forgave us for that. Somehow it irks them that the greatest period their club has ever had was thanks to a management team that loved Derby more than they did Forest, and players who joined them when they would have preferred to have stayed at Derby if the circumstances had allowed.

Its a bitter pill for the forest lads to take.

Its a long time a go now, but for some reason its hit a nerve with a different generation that one of their best ever players, Nigel Clough, manages Derby. At first they just assumed that he would fail and DCFC fans would turn against him. Some older heads, I believe, were genuinely worried that Nigel would want to carry on his Dad's true legacy and put Derby where they historically belong, i.e, above forest both in terms of league position but also as a far bigger part of football history.

Is Nigel driven to fulfill his Dad's passion for DCFC, to make them the best football team in the land without having to resort to the dirty leeds type tactics? Who knows?

Last season, when I witnessed Clough ushering the team off the bus, 500 yards from Elland Road, and marching them to the ground through loads of Leeds fans, I knew then that he has some personal issues to attend to.

If one of them is making Derby County great again, because deep down, he knows his dad would have wanted that, then I 'm with him for the journey.

Jeez, can you imagine if it comes off. You would'nt be able to get a ticket at Pride Park for love nor money.

Can you really blame the forest boys for hating us? :)

Jesus, forget the " you can take our land....." speech, you nailed it!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to stick up for the dirty stinking scumbags, but isn't it less likely that Dour-ty will want or expect his money back than a group of businessmen who had probably never heard of us before they were approached to invest in us?

They'll both expect their money back at some point. Difference is anyone buying us is buying a club with minimal debts (which will be gone by 2016), who own assets in terms of the stadium, Moor Farm and the playing squad, and who should be being run on a sustainable basis by that point. Compare and contrast that with Forest who don't own their ground, are saddled with £70m+ worth of debt, and continue to be run at massive annual losses.

Difference is, our owners will want their money back at some point, but they'll be able to get it, and relatively easily. Forest, well I don't think that anyone knows how Doughty's going to get his money back, but he continues to load on the interest which indicates that he's not for writing it off. That's a situation that isn't likely to end well for them.

They'll both expect their money back at some point. Difference is anyone buying us is buying a club with minimal debts (which will be gone by 2016), who own assets in terms of the stadium, Moor Farm and the playing squad, and who should be being run on a sustainable basis by that point. Compare and contrast that with Forest who don't own their ground, are saddled with £70m+ worth of debt, and continue to be run at massive annual losses.

Difference is, our owners will want their money back at some point, but they'll be able to get it, and relatively easily. Forest, well I don't think that anyone knows how Doughty's going to get his money back, but he continues to load on the interest which indicates that he's not for writing it off. That's a situation that isn't likely to end well for them.

Well at least they know that their fans only need to do one drive- by or sell a couple of ounces of weed to buy the Shitty ground back. Actually a paper round should do it, what a **** hole!

You don't seem concerned that GSE are doing the same thing to us?

We're not on the verge of becoming a sustainable business, we're in the process of incresing the wage bill again.

I've slagged them off in the past for not investing, so I'm glad they are putting money into the playing staff at long last (although I don't think Nigel's targets are the right ones to take us forward, but that's a different argument).

By the way, all these fans who have been on here banging on about sustainability, lowering the wage bill and living within our means for the last year, why aren't you currently protesting outside PPS now that GSE are in danger of turning us into 'the next Portsmouth'?

I don't thnk that's happening imo.

I won't bother going into it, but if the 5 new signings so far are on 4k a week, then Savages wage will have covered that. Don't know why everyone keeps thinking we're spending.:cautious:

I don't thnk that's happening imo.

I won't bother going into it, but if the 5 new signings so far are on 4k a week, then Savages wage will have covered that. Don't know why everyone keeps thinking we're spending.:cautious:

That's true, but it's more likely Tyson's on about 8/9/10, with Fielding, Ward and Robinson (technically they are new signings) making up about 10k in total minimum I reckon, Bryson on about 5k maybe, plus say Shackell, Waghorn and Maguire. That equals more than 22k per week. Maybe not as huge an increase in spending as some think, but it's an increase.

^^ We've rid ourselves of Sav's wages, plus Commons, and Hulse's over the course of last season. That's probably at least £40k per week. Plus we'll be getting rid of Bywater and Varney's wages over the course of the summer, either via permanent transfers or loaning out. That's going to be another wedge gone (Varney's on £12k per week, don't know how much Bywater's on now, but it'll probably be enough to push the total for him and Varney to about £20k per week). Leacock and Pearson are the only other plays still on high wages aren't they? Can't see either of them featuring much next season so it wouldn't surprise me if we move them on as well.

I think over the course of the last season and a bit we've been replacing average players on huge wages, with better players on less wages. The net effect though, unless we go bananas over the rest of the summer transfer window, will most likely be null or even possibly positive.

^^ We've rid ourselves of Sav's wages, plus Commons, and Hulse's over the course of last season. That's probably at least £40k per week. Plus we'll be getting rid of Bywater and Varney's wages over the course of the summer, either via permanent transfers or loaning out. That's going to be another wedge gone (Varney's on £12k per week, don't know how much Bywater's on now, but it'll probably be enough to push the total for him and Varney to about £20k per week). Leacock and Pearson are the only other plays still on high wages aren't they? Can't see either of them featuring much next season so it wouldn't surprise me if we move them on as well.

I think over the course of the last season and a bit we've been replacing average players on huge wages, with better players on less wages. The net effect though, unless we go bananas over the rest of the summer transfer window, will most likely be null or even possibly positive.

Yeah, what this bloke says

Archived