DCFC Coaching staff

Anag Ram

Does anyone know what exactly each main member of the staff does?

For a while it seemed Johnny Metgod was a key voice, but he appeared less and less as the season wore on. What do Andy Garner, Gary Crosby and Martin Taylor contribute? Who is the defensive coach?

I'm not being critical of them in any way - just keen to know.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metgod only got involved when we played well. When we we're **** it was all down to Clough.

Garner is a bald bloke who once scored a hattrick for Derby.

Taylor is an absolute legend and would have gone on to be one of Derby's greatest ever goalkeepers if a dirty **** named Dave Regis had'nt crippled him.

Crosby is a ****.

Metgod only got involved when we played well. When we we're **** it was all down to Clough.

Garner is a bald bloke who once scored a hattrick for Derby.

Taylor is an absolute legend and would have gone on to be one of Derby's greatest ever goalkeepers if a dirty **** named Dave Regis had'nt crippled him.

Crosby is a ****.

Thanks Uttoxram, you are clearly impressed!

I guess my point is that these guys are going to be shouting the odds to the squad in training sessions. I am not sure I would be too impressed as a defender being told what to do by any of them. Also, would any new players be convinced they would develop their abilities under this set-up? I may be doing them a great disservice, and started the thread in case there was someone out there banging a drum in their defence.

Thanks Uttoxram, you are clearly impressed!

I guess my point is that these guys are going to be shouting the odds to the squad in training sessions. I am not sure I would be too impressed as a defender being told what to do by any of them. Also, would any new players be convinced they would develop their abilities under this set-up? I may be doing them a great disservice, and started the thread in case there was someone out there banging a drum in their defence.

Soz mate, I have no idea whatsoever how good, or not as the case may be, these lot are as coaches. As Cumbrian says, we probably need a defensive coach!

There have been rumors about the coaches but savage quashed those rumors with that infamous interview, it would be good if we could tempt stimac as a defensive coach i know that is outlandish but that would be very good.

Why would you think Igor would be a good defensive coach?

well by reputation he was a good defender and sometimes good defenders have a tendency to make good defensive coaches since they know what to actually do at center back.

I know what to do at CB- smash the ball up field whenever it comes anywhere near you:D

well by reputation he was a good defender and sometimes good defenders have a tendency to make good defensive coaches since they know what to actually do at center back.

no,no,no,no...you could'nt be more wrong. Players like Igor are instinctive. He probably did'nt take notice of any coach in his life, he was just born a talented footballer.

Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore were two world class players but neither of them made much impression as a coach or manager.

Jose Mourinho never made it as a player yet he is widely accepted as being one of the top coaches in the world. Alex Ferguson was a donkey, Arsene Wenger was a worse player than Carlton Palmer.

Actually, Peter Taylor was only an average goalie. Martyn Taylor was far better...........................

A good center back can make a good defensive coach and maybe igor could, who knows, it was a single avenue which derby could go down for a look towards a defensive coach. Also the wenger, ferguson and mourinhio examples are redundant since they are managers not specific coaches, these need different qualities.

A good center back can make a good defensive coach and maybe igor could, who knows, it was a single avenue which derby could go down for a look towards a defensive coach. Also the wenger, ferguson and mourinhio examples are redundant since they are managers not specific coaches, these need different qualities.

My suggestion, and this would be a gamble, would be to get Michael Johnson (former player, not 400m version!) back in the role. I think he's currently at Notts C on the youth side. He was the last player we had who proactively marshalled the defence.Shouting and calling are often underestimated elements of defensive work but it can make life so much easier for the team.

They showed yesterday a short newsbit about Ajax training academy in Finnish tv. I`ve seen a couple of similar but much longer versions earlier and been impressed how much they have put knowledge and thought in to their training and getting the right coaches from all over the world. I don´t have a clue how well Derby is doing in that category but I have a suspicion that there is room to get better still.

It is unbelievable how much good backroom staff has to do with what goes on the field.

Archived