Championship signings

sage

No no, you're allowed to have opinions, of course. Didn't mean to be rude, I just see it as quite odd that you would argue those players wouldn't get into our side quite easily.

If it's Svens signings then that's more agreeable, yet I definitely disagree with you here:

Nugent is a better striker than Steve Davies and Nathan Tyson, and so would walk straight into our team currently.

Danns would go straight into our attacking three, perhaps not dislodging Bryson but he's definitely better than Maguire currently. He's like an in-form Paul Green with a more attacking nature.

Agreed, however he is better than Shackell. So he would walk in.

Konchesky v Roberts....... (Bearing in mind I like Roberts, he gets far too much stick, but come on, Konchesky wins that one) He did well for Forest.

Peltier wouldn't, Brayford is the better player, agreed. But I didn't say all of them would.

Schmeichel is perhaps the better keeper, but i'm very happy with Fielding.

I wasn't disagreeing with you about Sven, while being tactically bright I think he's a fairly poor manager really considering the jobs that hes had. But the idea that those wouldn't walk into our side currently worries me. Either you undervalue them, or over-value our side

I wouldnt say Nugent is a better striker than what we have, remember, tyson has played out of position for 3 years, davies also to an extent, and has been injured for long periods and i do like the look of ward. Agreed on paper most would pick nugent, i'm basing it on the fact that he has always played in his own pos.

Nugents record = 333 games played / 83 goals

Tysons record = 364 games played /92 goals (3 seasons as a winger)

Not a massive difference between the two.

Danns moving into our 3 mids?... Bryson? noo, maguire?, not from what iv'e seen pre season, he looks like he could end up a really good player. 1 place really up for grabs prob between ward and davies. As i said, i really like the look of ward, very offensive player, likes to shoot, scores good goals. Davies if stays fit would give danns a run for his money.

So i have to disagree there too.

Mills v barker?... tough one, again a fully fit barker would be prem quality.

Mills v Shakell?... iv'e seen shackell a few times as i have mills, dont be fooled with the price tag. Shackell was captain and player of the year and also has more prem experience than mills's 2 games. Thats not to say mills is not a good player.

Konchesky was rubbish for florest, & thats from their fans. too attack minded and the games i saw him in he left massive gaps at the back. Roberts, although not as attack minded i think he's a steadier player, although we do need another lb.

Peltier?, yes i agree with you, Brayford prob the best rb in the league at the mo, watching him pre season, he's playing like its cup final, what a pro!!.

Again Schmeichel better than fielding???? hmmm tough one, i'll have to reserve judgement on that, but we do have the current england u21 goalie and to say schmeichel would walk in????. Sorry, but no.

I wouldn't say i overvalue our team, i'd like to think top 10 this season.

I also wouldn't say i undervalue svens mates, for me too much hype around him and the players he has signed. Massive money for decidedly average players.

Look at it this way, if Mills WAS worth 5mill do you think he would of signed for leicester?.. no, he could have gone prem league for that.

Sunderland have just signed wes brown and o'shea for less than him.

I know which ones i'd have.

Good debate though

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The midfield is the strongest in the Championship in terms of quality cover i think you`d agree...

West Ham's midfield is vastly superior - Nolan, Parker, Taylor, Collison, Barrera, Boa Morte, Noble, O'Neill. They'll most likely lose Parker before the transfer window closes, but that's still a superb midfield for this division - the best, easily.

Leicester will go up IMO, but it'll be on WHU's coat-tails as they're about to walk this league.

I wouldnt say Nugent is a better striker than what we have, remember, tyson has played out of position for 3 years, davies also to an extent, and has been injured for long periods and i do like the look of ward. Agreed on paper most would pick nugent, i'm basing it on the fact that he has always played in his own pos.

Danns moving into our 3 mids?... Bryson? noo, maguire?, not from what iv'e seen pre season, he looks like he could end up a really good player. 1 place really up for grabs prob between ward and davies. As i said, i really like the look of ward, very offensive player, likes to shoot, scores good goals. Davies if stays fit would give danns a run for his money.

Mills v Shakell?... iv'e seen shackell a few times as i have mills, dont be fooled with the price tag. Shackell was captain and player of the year and also has more prem experience than mills's 2 games. Thats not to say mills is not a good player.

Konchesky was rubbish for florest, & thats from their fans. too attack minded and the games i saw him in he left massive gaps at the back. Roberts, although not as attack minded i think he's a steadier player, although we do need another lb.

Peltier?, yes i agree with you, Brayford prob the best rb in the league at the mo, watching him pre season, he's playing like its cup final, what a pro!!.

Again Schmeichel better than fielding???? hmmm tough one, i'll have to reserve judgement on that, but we do have the current england u21 goalie and to say schmeichel would walk in????. Sorry, but no.

I also wouldn't say i undervalue svens mates, for me too much hype around him and the players he has signed. Massive money for decidedly average players.

Look at it this way, if Mills WAS worth 5mill do you think he would of signed for leicester?.. no, he could have gone prem league for that.

Good debate though

True, but do we have a real striker at the club currently? A fully fledged one? Tyson has pace for sure, and Davies has a trick or two up his sleeve, but Nugent is a class act.

He may not have always shown it, he was pretty poor for Portsmouth after his move there and often ended up as a substitute, but when he has some confidence he's a very good striker. At the very least he's one of the better strikers in this league. Can we claim that about Steve Davies or Nathan Tyson? Probably not.

Danns is a better player than Maguire mate, he had the oppurtunity to go straight into a PL team if he'd wanted to. Went for the money at Leicester, as all players do, but he'd definitely go straight into our team. Ward/Bryson/Danns would be a cracking attacking three. Alas, we don't have the money they do.

Mills is a better player than Shackell, though when the going gets tough he does tend to become a liability. That's not to say Shackell is a poor defender at all, i'm very pleased with his signing, and Mills was bought for atleast twice his actual worth, but i'd still take Mills over Shackell.

Konchesky or Roberts though? Konchesky for me. He's an attacking full back, that's his role. Brayford has been caught out a few times doing it, I suspect the Forest fans were whinging for whingings sake, the best mate is a Forest fan and he thought he was alright. Solid enough for them anyway.

Brayford over Peltier for definite, though Peltier is a very intriguing prospect. He'll be a top right back in this league before long.

Schmeichel is just preference really. Fielding is probably the more reliable, but Schmeichel has that extra something. You get the feeling that with every shot he's going to save it, that aura of confidence about him. He's a fantastic goalkeeper.

Personally, I think Leicester will certainly go up this season, it's beyond doubt almost with some of these other signings they're talking about. And their side was already very strong.

Agreed about taking the other two first, but Mills could have gone the PL. He too was wanted by a few clubs in the PL, but went for the money at Leicester. (I think he's from Leicester too, maybe he's a fan?) Cracking defender when the going is good.

And aye, good debate chap. Didn't mean to sound so rude earlier, just a bit brash sometimes is all!

No probs Alex, no offence taken really.

This is what makes footy great, everyone has their own opinions of each player.

I see what your saying about nugent, confidence and all that, but surely a nathan tyson with confidence would be much more of a threat than a confident nugent, Brayford said he was the toughest opponent he'd come up against, a lightening quick striker who i'm sure will score 15 goals a season.

Danns, although a good player, i'm still not convinced he'd walk into our team.

This season will show, like i said iv'e seen maguire in preseason and if Clough plays him in that 3 mid role, i think he will do damage, as much as danns will for fester.

Shackell?, i think we got a bargin to be fair, and like you say, Mills probably worth half the 5mill paid... i'd say more, prob 2mill max and players at his stage of his career would go prem for less rather than risk playing 2-3 seasons in championship. Wolves had a bid rejected, had it been accepted and mills would have talked to them i'm sure he'd have gone there.

Again i stand by my view of Konchesky, yes brayford made a few mistakes, but he was on a learning curve in this division, a young lad still improving.

Konny was a prem player in his prime and still don't look as good Brayford.

I agree he's technically a better player than roberts with regards as to attacking but sometimes you need defenders to defend and i think Roberts is a steadier defender, agreed, not as good going forward.

I know he's played for england twice, under who???....yes you guessed sven!.

But then again carlton palmer won england caps too!!!!!!!!!!!.

Good debate though

I dont think ive seen anyone over rate a team as much as you've just done. On the back of a few friendlies you've got Bryson and Maguire, two players with no Championship experience and everything to prove in the side ahead of one of the best midfielders in this division.

I dont think ive seen anyone over rate a team as much as you've just done. On the back of a few friendlies you've got Bryson and Maguire, two players with no Championship experience and everything to prove in the side ahead of one of the best midfielders in this division

As iv'e said, im not overrating anyone, i say it as i see it, bryson looked good until he got injured, maguire IS looking good.....I never said they were superb players...best in the league, iv'e seen more of them two than i have of danns lets put it like that. I am an avid football fan and had to check to see who he played for when they signed him. And didn't they come here and get stuffed?????. OUTPLAYED IN EVERY POSITION!.

How much championship experience had brayford had??? hmmm, NONE!!!

Would you swap him for any other rb in the league, i certainly wouldnt mate.

So unfortunatley that blows that argument of championship experience out the water.

Ahead of one of the best midfielders in the league? who finished?. not even had a look in, in the championship best 11, how far down the pecking order do we go before we get to him as one of the best mids in the div?.

I shall always stand by the fact that people will think they must be good because they are splashing serious money about, but sorry mate it's on average players and the wage bill will cripple em.

Just because i'm not wrist slashing don't mean im overating the players.

And just as a final point, you have'nt watched those two until they come here so what makes you such an expert on these players?, give em a chance for god's sake.

By the way, not ranting :D:D:D

As iv'e said, im not overrating anyone, i say it as i see it, bryson looked good until he got injured, maguire IS looking good.....I never said they were superb players...best in the league, iv'e seen more of them two than i have of danns lets put it like that. I am an avid football fan and had to check to see who he played for when they signed him. And didn't they come here and get stuffed?????. OUTPLAYED IN EVERY POSITION!.

How much championship experience had brayford had??? hmmm, NONE!!!

Would you swap him for any other rb in the league, i certainly wouldnt mate.

So unfortunatley that blows that argument of championship experience out the water.

Ahead of one of the best midfielders in the league? who finished?. not even had a look in, in the championship best 11, how far down the pecking order do we go before we get to him as one of the best mids in the div?.

I shall always stand by the fact that people will think they must be good because they are splashing serious money about, but sorry mate it's on average players and the wage bill will cripple em.

Just because i'm not wrist slashing don't mean im overating the players.

And just as a final point, you have'nt watched those two until they come here so what makes you such an expert on these players?, give em a chance for god's sake.

By the way, not ranting :D:D:D

At this stage, everything is just predictions, for all we know Bryson and Maguire could go on to play Champions League football. You can only go on what's previously happened in these players careers. Who would you rather have, players that have only played in a p*ss poor league where most teams would struggle in League 1 or a player that's performed to a high level in the Championship.

If you've seen Bryson and Maguire regularly and are confident they'll be good at this level then fair play, they've still got everything to prove. On your thinking they'd get in ahead of Jimmy Bullard, Lee Bowyer, Snodgrass and countless others that have consistently performed to a high level.

Are Leicester and West Ham competing to have the best central midfielders in the league!?!

Andy King, Richie Wellens, Yuki Abe, Frank Moussa, Matt Oakley, Neil Danns, Michael Johnson..

against

Kevin Nolan, Scott Parker, Mark Noble, Gary O'Niel, Jack Collison..

I am sorry but all of them players would walk into our team, without much bother.. I would love us to put in a cheeky bid for Richie Wellens, he really is a good player, very good indeed and now probably available.

Are Leicester and West Ham competing to have the best central midfielders in the league!?!

Andy King, Richie Wellens, Yuki Abe, Frank Moussa, Matt Oakley, Neil Danns, Michael Johnson..

against

Kevin Nolan, Scott Parker, Mark Noble, Gary O'Niel, Jack Collison..

I am sorry but all of them players would walk into our team, without much bother.. I would love us to put in a cheeky bid for Richie Wellens, he really is a good player, very good indeed and now probably available.

Cant see that happening tbh. Our player of the season last year (for some), but Oakley.. You`d get him for sure.. Even Moussa on loan could happen if you went for him. We need to off load a few.

Cant see that happening tbh. Our player of the season last year (for some), but Oakley.. You`d get him for sure.. Even Moussa on loan could happen if you went for him. We need to off load a few.

Yeah, I know thats why I would want him.. surely pushed out now though, signing Neil Danns, Michael Johnson and already having Andy King on board when you're planning to play 4-4-2, surely Wellens wouldn't even make your bench, which would make a bid from us be a very smart move IMO.

Archived