Better out than in

sage

i know, i think given the right conditions he can do a good job at this level, e.g. our promotion team. Shame what has happened with him really, it just went from bad to worse for him and then falling out with management seemed to put the nail in his coffin

I blame his Avant-garde art personally :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Varney, Leacock, Pearson and Bywater all have contracts running up to 2012 if I am not mistaken.

They can all just sit on these contracts. Bywater seems like the most likely to stir up trouble considering his crooked comments on twitter. Clough seems to still rate Pearson and we saw some of his better form towards the end of the season as he returned to full fitness. Leacock could be loaned out if no bids come in, probably the same arrangement would be considered for Bywater.

Would expect some competition for Varney at least.

Maybe Hull will come a knocking again for Deano?

Varney is an interesting one. If I was Clough I'd be tempted to hold on to him and see what he can add. He played at Left Back for a game last season (Cardiff at home I think), and played well, he seems to be a real tryer, and he did score 5 goals for Blackpool last year. He might be a good back up and is versatile enough to play out wide as well as upfront. The best teams have decent footballers who can cover a few positions without being amazing. If we had Robinson, Maguire, Waghorn and one other, it's a decent pot in my opinion.

Varney is an interesting one. If I was Clough I'd be tempted to hold on to him and see what he can add. He played at Left Back for a game last season (Cardiff at home I think), and played well, he seems to be a real tryer, and he did score 5 goals for Blackpool last year. He might be a good back up and is versatile enough to play out wide as well as upfront. The best teams have decent footballers who can cover a few positions without being amazing. If we had Robinson, Maguire, Waghorn and one other, it's a decent pot in my opinion.

.......you could add Callum Ball to that list too

I Would like to see Varney given another chance at Derby , i think after a season in the prem he must be hungrier than ever to perform well

considering that he played the winger/striker role for Blackpool I'd be tempted to at least give him a couple of pre-season games to show what he can do with that system. Last year Nigel wanted to be narrow behind the front man so considered him surplus but if we're going with a proper 4-3-3 (again like Blackpool) I hope he at least considers what he can offer us.

Of course it may all be a mute point if the story about the appearences clause in his contract is to be believed...

its amazing how bywater's stock has fallen.

this time last year most people were pretty happy with him.

Yeah, i was one of them.

But then after seeing some of Fielding, for me it highlighted what a difference a keeper that makes good decisions makes.

Now we've had Brad Jones, who i don't think has a strong hand as Bywater and certainly not the reflexes...... but his decision making is better too.

The thing that really annoys me about Bywater is he doesn't seem to be trying to improve. He has a strong hand (most the time) so unlike Jones when he makes a save the rebound is usually fine. He has good reflexes usually too. He's made some great saves for us and won us plenty of points. But he wont build on it. He constantly makes the wrong decision. He comes when he should stay. He kicks long when he should go short. He rushes when he should take his time. He hesitates and every time it puts us under pressure when there's no need..... Why isn't his decision making developing??

Nothing wrong with a player with weaknesses. But when that weakness is decision making, well, it's something that can be improved over time. Bywater will not learn. In the last few years he's never once showed improvement. No idea why, but if this part of his game isn't going to improve then i don't see much of a future.

Yeah, i was one of them.

But then after seeing some of Fielding, for me it highlighted what a difference a keeper that makes good decisions makes.

Now we've had Brad Jones, who i don't think has a strong hand as Bywater and certainly not the reflexes...... but his decision making is better too.

The thing that really annoys me about Bywater is he doesn't seem to be trying to improve. He has a strong hand (most the time) so unlike Jones when he makes a save the rebound is usually fine. He has good reflexes usually too. He's made some great saves for us and won us plenty of points. But he wont build on it. He constantly makes the wrong decision. He comes when he should stay. He kicks long when he should go short. He rushes when he should take his time. He hesitates and every time it puts us under pressure when there's no need..... Why isn't his decision making developing??

Nothing wrong with a player with weaknesses. But when that weakness is decision making, well, it's something that can be improved over time. Bywater will not learn. In the last few years he's never once showed improvement. No idea why, but if this part of his game isn't going to improve then i don't see much of a future.

True, but shouldn't Martin Taylor shoulder some of the blame too?

If he takes blame for that he should take enormous credit for Fielding's performances, stepping into first team shoes after being a reserve keeper at Blackburn. First team experience can't be replaced - look at how shaky Kusckzak was at Blackburn last week.

I don't actually he think he should take much credit or blame for either. Fielding is an immensely talented goalkeeper who will play at the top. He seems to have the right work ethic - seems a pretty grounded lad. Bywater has lived off a couple of good seasons, been very shaky and unreliable and has gradually got worse. In addition to that he's proved he's a bit of a troublemaker.

I think it is probably in his complicated head. He has been poor right from the pre-season games. Maybe he just does not listen which might be why he was shipped out of the club.

I expect Bywater & Varney to go out on season long loans, and will leave on a free next summer. We may get a loan fee, but the best we can expect is for the other club to pick up the tab on most of their wages.

It seems certain that Pringle will be leaving on a free in the coming weeks.

I can't see us getting a fee for Croft, but TBH I'm hopeful that he will be sharper and play a part in the season ahead.

Pearson will be a part of Nigel's plans this season, but depending on who we sign in centre midfield, I think he'll also be released next summer.

We should be able to get a fee for Leacock, we aren't selling him because we have to, it just seems time for him to move on. His wages are probably higher than most as he was here for the promotion, but if they are too high, then we'd have probably offloaded him last season.

Funny thing is though – if we were being rumoured to be buying a striker who had scored goals in the Prem and was available because his team had been relegated, that might be considered “excitingâ€

It’s the sort of signings I was expecting when Glick made his “money-back guarantee†not obscure Scottish midfielders.

Not that I’m judging these Scottish players before I’ve seen them play – but my point is that if Varney wasn’t our player already and we were being rumoured to be signing him we’d be pleased.

Makes 1.5m for Waghorn look a very odd deal

Not that I'm judging these Scottish players before I’ve seen them play – but my point is that if Varney wasn’t our player already and we were being rumoured to be signing him we’d be pleased.

You have a decent point, but clearly something isn't right with Varney being here. It could be a disagreement with the management, a fellow player at the club, or it could be something as simple as money, but surely we can't owe Charlton any more than half the money we are quoted as offering for Waghorn, yes his reported £12k per week is high compared with the rest of the squad, but he'd be an asset for the final year of his contract.

£300,000 appearance clause (btw - pulled that figure out of my a**e)

£12,000 x 52 = £600,000 (ish).

£900,000 is probably less than we paid for a season of Bueno. (for example)

Funny thing is though – if we were being rumoured to be buying a striker who had scored goals in the Prem and was available because his team had been relegated, that might be considered “excitingâ€

It’s the sort of signings I was expecting when Glick made his “money-back guarantee†not obscure Scottish midfielders.

Not that I’m judging these Scottish players before I’ve seen them play – but my point is that if Varney wasn’t our player already and we were being rumoured to be signing him we’d be pleased.

Makes 1.5m for Waghorn look a very odd deal

Has £1.5m been quoted? That's worrying if so.

I'm on the fence with the people we're looking at - impossible to judge without having seen them and to be honest, Brayford was probably an 'obscure League Two defender' when we signed him.

10 games in, I'll make my judgement.

1.5m for Waghorn is definitely the word coming from the Leicester end of the fan network. Not sure if it's been quoted in their press, but I don't see why they would make it up.

Their general concensus is that they don't want to sell him

I'd also be amazed if the Varney appearances clause is true. The number of times he's played is so low, why would we have a contract clause that kicks in so early? I'd quite like someone to ask Glick - just to put the rumour to bed.

I'd also be amazed if the Varney appearances clause is true. The number of times he's played is so low, why would we have a contract clause that kicks in so early? I'd quite like someone to ask Glick - just to put the rumour to bed.

Quoting him in the Sun (I've posted this before, so why we keep questioning the validity of it I don't know):

"Derby couldn't afford to play me in the first team because it would have activated an expensive clause in my contract and I accepted that".

He's accepted he's not going to play for Derby again, but the fans for some reason think it's a possibility. Whether the figure is £100 or £1.5m, seems he's aware he's not coming back - so time to move on and look for someone different.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3271392/Luke-Varney-is-dreaming-of-a-special-wedding-invitation-after-receiving-Prince-Williams-royal-seal-of-approval.html

Archived