Enlighten me...

james_ram

Rangers and Celtic.

Are they still Protestants vs Catholics? Because all you hear on Celtic forums etc that they are a 'club for everyone' but then there's all this sectarianism.

Plus, it annoyed me when Commons said today that the Celtic fans are "the best in the world" and "that's why people come from all over the world to watch them" but surely, if all they did is sing about Catholicism then why would people want to associate with them if they're not Catholics themselves?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As bizarre as it sounds., Celtic are an Irish club, Rangers are a British club, hence the large number of relevant flags at each teams games. Being English I'd consider myself a Rangers fan, but TBH I don't really care.

erm, I knew that there were heavy irish influences but how can they be irish when they are scottish? I'm confused:oops:

Always preferred Rangers myself, and always look out for their results. Stems from growing up during Rangers' '9-in-a-row'. Some great sides during those years and some great football. Even did well in Europe.

yep, don't think those days will be returning any time soon. I would say its a shame but it isn't

from what i make of it, my Grandad being a Scot and on the Rangers side. The majority of it is all religion, many Celtic don't consider themselves to be part of the UK but are Irish, hense why Neil Lennon get's these attacks alot because he is from Northern Ireland (protestant residence, Kyle Lafferty and Steve Davis play for Rangers and would most likely get the same if they played for Celtic and not Rangers) and Celtic are Catholic being the Irish connection. Rangers very much consider to be part of the UK with flags everywhere you see. So feck the dirty irish gits :D up the Gers

[sIZE=3]Please forgive for my poorly constructed explaination but i hope some understand why the two of them have so much hatred[/sIZE] :D

They're all bloody Christian for crying out loud. Why is humans have to find a way to hate each other? Even when we agree on something we argue about how you hey to the conclusion weather its football, religion or directions across a bloody town.. absolutely ridiculous IMO

For old firm explanations think history and politics!

The history of Scotland is intertwined with that of Ireland. British rule in Ireland going back many 100's of years resulted in many political actions that still influence the mindset of the people even today. e.g. Rich Scottish protestant "planters" were given land at the expense of Catholic peasants. This contributed to the demographics of the entire island of Ireland that led to the country being divided and ultimately the troubles from the late 60's and to a degree still until today.

It is true that nearly all of Ireland south of the border follow Celtic. In Northern Ireland there is huge support for both Rangers and Celtic which is split unsurprisingly on demographic grounds - protestant and catholic. It is not a surprise that some of the threats made to Neil Lennon originated in Co. Antrim in N. Ireland.

As an Englishman living in Ireland it never ceases to amaze me how football remains a metaphor for politics. People assume that you have to follow one or the other and can be surprised to hear that you couldnt actually care less. I get dumb looks when I say "why would I be interested in Glasgow football when I am from Derby!"

Dont try and understand all of the reasoning behind this - if it was that easy Ireland would have been at peace many years ago.

And also the population growth of Ireland in the early 19th century. Subsequent failure of the crop that fuelled the workers. Which lead to mass emigration to manual labour intensive employers across the waters. Which is why Liverpool and Middlesbrough grew so rapidly and each have an Irish inflection to the accent to this day.

And why thousands of Irish catholics came to Glasgow and to a lesser Edinburgh and Dundee. With clubs formed to provide an active social life in East Glasgow, Leith and Dundee (Utd). The history and tradition of which gives their local derbies an extra element of passion. And a huge policing bill several times a season.

Archived