Enlighten me...

james_ram

And also the population growth of Ireland in the early 19th century. Subsequent failure of the crop that fuelled the workers. Which lead to mass emigration to manual labour intensive employers across the waters. Which is why Liverpool and Middlesbrough grew so rapidly and each have an Irish inflection to the accent to this day.

And why thousands of Irish catholics came to Glasgow and to a lesser Edinburgh and Dundee. With clubs formed to provide an active social life in East Glasgow, Leith and Dundee (Utd). The history and tradition of which gives their local derbies an extra element of passion. And a huge policing bill several times a season.

Then there were more steelworkers than there were steelworker jobs in Glasgow; so they got shoved down South, near me, in Corby, Northamptonshire.

You wouldn't believe this, but in North-Northamptonshire, I even get caught up in the politics of it. I also have to chose Celtic or Rangers.

The steelworkers moved to Corby about 40 years ago, so most of the tension has been erroded away over time, and these days it's mostly just banter between the two sets of fans down here, so I enjoy the rivalry. Wouldn't it be brilliant if it was the same in Scotland and on the other side of the Irish Sea?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived