Chooing Theo Robinson

Alph

So, the boy wonder and natural goal scoring machine was subbed off a while back to the fans disgust. Chants of "you don't know what your doing" were aimed at Nigel Clough for subbing off one of our major goal threats.

Saturday v Bristol City he's a god awful excuse for a footballer who couldn't score in a brothel. His second touch is always a tackle. And when his number came up he left the pitch to cheering.

This got under my skin. It's the exact same player. He's played to the exact same standard.

How do you see him? An explosive player with a bit of learning curve? A willing runner to see a game out? It doesn't really matter, because ever since he's arrived his first touch has been awful. It takes about 4 touches before he has the ball under any sort of control.

I thought it was bad when fans booed the substitution (to my eyes he'd been useless and was offering nothing). However it was far worse when those fans who booed that decision and chant "Theo, Theo...." every time he touches the ball then begin cheers when he's substituted off.

That'll make him feel good.

My question is, what's going on?

He's been the same since he arrived. He's somehow gone from hero to zero within months without any changes in his performances. I don't know whether this was the behaviour of fans everywhere or whether it's just where i sit in the often cringeworthy SE Corner.

When the chants of "Theo, Theo....." started up i thought to myself "why? He's rubbish". But when the cheering started when he was subbed off i felt sorry for the lad. He's not done anything less!!

Personally i think it would of been quite fitting had Nigel and Theo began chants of "you don't know what your doing" aimed at the fans (or atleast the ****** near me)

So if we sign him in the summer. Do we cheer him or boo him? Not sure what to do. That's why i reckon we should mix it up and Choo him.

He didn't deserve any of it. Not the arse licking or the humiliating cheers. Give him a break. He is what he is.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen him properly. Based on his performance I'd have to say that I'd be very disappointed if we sign him in the summer.

His only real asset appears to be his pace, but even that's deceptive as he's quite sluggish from a standing start.

I didn't cheer the substitution but I was glad to see him going off. We were chasing the game and he offered us very little.

He had a great chance to put us 1-0 up yesterday but a poor first touch, and then a shot straight at the keeper when either side of him probably would have gone in.

Theo Robinson at this point in time is a player who has raw talent, I think Nigel believes he's worth a risk to try and develop him, tiny risk as well but surely any manager must feel they can improve players. Theo is summed up by an old saying in football which goes " IF THOSE THAT COULD PLAY HAD PACE AND THOSE THAT HAD PACE COULD PLAY "

Theo Robinson at this point in time is a player who has raw talent, I think Nigel believes he's worth a risk to try and develop him, tiny risk as well but surely any manager must feel they can improve players. Theo is summed up by an old saying in football which goes " IF THOSE THAT COULD PLAY HAD PACE AND THOSE THAT HAD PACE COULD PLAY "

'Raw talent' is something normally associated with 16 or 17 year olds not 22 year olds. If he has not learnt how to control a ball by this age I am not quite sure what he is doing playing professional football.

I have only seen his 'pace' take him past one defender.

If we are signing him I hope pre season sees him come back a much better player otherwise it will be a very bad signing.

Said this elsewhere, but he reminds me of an attacking version of Coco Davis. Once the crowd starting getting on his back he's going to start hiding from the ball in games.

As you say, if we do sign him, then he needs to become a different player over the summer from the one we've seen so far.

Depends what deal we can get for him. If the price is the £300k Millwall paid for him last summer I'd look elsewhere first, but if he's cheaper he's worth a punt.

He's looked good the last couple of games coming off the bench but was awful yesterday. The most annoying thing was, with a transfer to play for, he spent most of the match aimlessly wandering around, not even bothering to close down or harry the Bristol City defence.

Depends what deal we can get for him. If the price is the £300k Millwall paid for him last summer I'd look elsewhere first, but if he's cheaper he's worth a punt.

He's looked good the last couple of games coming off the bench but was awful yesterday. The most annoying thing was, with a transfer to play for, he spent most of the match aimlessly wandering around, not even bothering to close down or harry the Bristol City defence.

I would not consider paying any money for him.

Agreed he looked decent when he came off the bench but in every game he has started I think he has looked awful.

Think Theo Robinson is a classic case of football fans not always knowing what they're talking about.

He's fustrating and he looks **** but if you think about it, we had Albero Bueno on that pitch but our main threat was Theo Robinson.

Opposition defences hate him almost as much as we do ourselves. He's just scary when he runs with the ball.

He's not a pretty player and he's more effective as a sub, but he WILL score 10 goals a season at this level in a bit-part season.

If we get a 20 goal-a season striker and Ward and Davies chip in like they do now, then that's already around 40 goals for the season from those players alone.

Sign him up, teach him to ignore the fans. He's still young so there's time yet for the rest of his game to develop slightly.

Whether he's good or not i don't think it was very fair to cheer the substitution after our fans were booing his substitution a few months back.

He really hasn't changed.

Thought it was very fickle. I don't think it's fickle to say (for eg) "Pearson is rubbish", then when he's playing well to say "Pearson has been a good player lately." To me, that's not fickle. If he's poor then he's not good enough, if he's good then he should play. That's not fickle, that's football. Players serve clubs not the other way around. I don't believe in standing by players in most cases. It's simple, perform for your team or you don't play. Football is a serious game. Clubs can't afford to carry deadweight.

But what is fickle is the fans that were straight on Nigels back for substituting a poor player, on saturday were now whinging that Theo WASN'T subbed off. Eh? He's not done anything different!

Just didn't think it was fair. And it makes me laugh that these fans want their opinions to be valued. But how can you value what these people say when they are so fickle.

Wish some of our fans (lots of them in the SE where i am) would just show a bit more common sense. Not everyone has to be a hero or villain. Not every pass has to be a brilliant ball or a terrible one. A sideways pass gets booed sometimes!! Just relax a bit man!!! :)

Does anyone think the cheering of his substitution will effect the transfer?

If it was as loud around the ground as it was where i sat then i don't see why Theo would want to come back if he doesn't have to.

Or will it be forgotten already?

He's fustrating and he looks **** but if you think about it, we had Albero Bueno on that pitch but our main threat was Theo Robinson.

I wouldn't agree with that. Bueno was far better than Robinson, and easily our most creative player. The problem yesterday was that no one else was on the same wavelength.

Think Theo Robinson is a classic case of football fans not always knowing what they're talking about.

Opposition defences hate him almost as much as we do ourselves. He's just scary when he runs with the ball.

He's not a pretty player and he's more effective as a sub, but he WILL score 10 goals a season at this level in a bit-part season.

If we get a 20 goal-a season striker and Ward and Davies chip in like they do now, then that's already around 40 goals for the season from those players alone.

Sign him up, teach him to ignore the fans. He's still young so there's time yet for the rest of his game to develop slightly.

Eh? Which game were you at? Bueno was the only Derby plater capable of controlling the ball and trying to do something with it. Admittedly, not a lot came off, but much of that was to do with his team mates not reading decent passes. He must despair controlling it, finding the pass only to see it bounce 10 yards off the player's shin.

I can't think of any time Theo was a threat. Plenty of times he should have been, but none that he actually was.

I wouldn't agree with that. Bueno was far better than Robinson, and easily our most creative player. The problem yesterday was that no one else was on the same wavelength.

I thought Bueno was one of our worst players yesterday, he was all over the place, as was his passing, and his ball control. Pearson and Davies were worse, but by his standards, he was utterly useless IMO, even fell over the ball at one point.

I accept Theo Robinson is an awful player. But the point is, no one else in this league seems to agree. It doesn't matter how crap he actually plays, he rattles and confuses defences and he'll create space for some of the real footballers in our side next season.

Plus he's simply GOT to hit home at least 1 of every 100 opportunities he creates for himself.

I thought Bueno was one of our worst players yesterday, he was all over the place, as was his passing.

I accept Theo Robinson is an awful player. But the point is, no one else in this league seems to agree. It doesn't matter how crap he actually plays, he rattles and confuses defences and he'll create space for some of the real footballers in our side next season.

Plus he's simply GOT to hit home at least 1 of every 100 opportunities he creates for himself.

I'm not sure which game you were at mate, the only problem Bueno had was that he was largely having to do everything himself. Players were letting him down right, left and centre.

Robinson's not going to be starter for us. The question is, can we get someone better at doing what he does, ie. the impact player. Personally, I think we can.

I'm not sure which game you were at mate, the only problem Bueno had was that he was largely having to do everything himself. Players were letting him down right, left and centre.

Robinson's not going to be starter for us. The question is, can we get someone better at doing what he does, ie. the impact player. Personally, I think we can.

Well I just feel that if he was called Graham Ballsack and he had ginger hair, he'd be slated for yesterday's peformance. For me, it's not use saying "no one else was on his wavelength" etc, because that's useless to us. It's no use saying "well if that pass was to Messi, he would of controlled that", because we have players like Stephen Pearson and Theo Robinson in our team.

His performance for me was summed up when Bueno broke away, had Pearson running off to his left, and had the simplest pass in the world to execute. He delayed and delayed before stroking it out for a throw in. And there was also that time he layed the ball off to no one, and skinned himself out for a goal-kick....

I'm sure we could get better than Theo Robinson, but I reckon he's worth his small transfer fee, and the money saved could be spent on a quality player. Theo Robinson will probably cost around £250k, and yesterday that would have bought you our one shot on target. Bueno's £1m loan fee wouldn't even have bought you that.

His goalscoring record for previous clubs is largely irrelevant as they've all been in the lower leagues. At Championship-level he's scored 3 in 15 which is a 1/5 ratio.

As pointed out elsewhere, if he's not mastered basic ball control by the age of 22 then it's unlikely he's going to be able to improve it that much now.

The lads got a decent scoring record of 1 in 3 games at other clubs,ffs sake give the lad a chance work on his control over the summer play him through the middle with his pace he`ll cause problems.

As I said if he comes back from the summer a different player the gamble will have paid off.

Pace without control is nothing and I really don't think that 22 year olds should need coaching to control a ball.

I like Theo as he has pace and gets into some decent positions, but yesterday was a bad, bad day to say the least. I'd take a gamble and sign him permanently, but make him practice entirely at ball control for about 6 hours a day after training. The 8 or 9 lads on the street outside PPS at half time kicking the ball about were better than Robinson :frown:

Archived