British League Cup

Day

The Scottish Premier League will explore the creation of a British League Cup if plans for a major shake-up of the game are ratified.

BBC Scotland has gained access to the SPL's 100-page strategic plan, which includes plans for a 10-team SPL.

It shows a desire to merge with the Scottish Football League in the summer - and a cross-border competition.

Clubs met at Hampden on Monday as they seek a consensus on a number of issues including league reconstruction.

A new league set-up has been driving the change among the SPL's members, but there are a number of other objectives that clubs are being asked to back in a bid to turn around the fortunes of the Scottish game.

The document makes specific reference to unification of the SPL and SFL with an attractive reason being to "enable the SPL to explore the possibility of cross-border matches (potentially British Cup matches) via the Scottish League Cup".

The idea of a British club tournament has been proposed in recent years, with a 2001 proposal backed by Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne, which was ultimately rejected by the Football League in England.

In 1902, a British League Cup competition raised money for the Ibrox Stadium disaster and included the winners and runners-up of the Scottish and English Football Leagues.

Several other official and unofficial cross-border competitions have also taken place over the decades, including the Empire Exhibition Trophy in 1938, the Coronation Cup in 1957, the Texaco Cup and the Anglo-Scottish Cup.

Some other proposals included in the SPL's strategic plan include:

• The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years
  • The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years
  • Broadcasting revenues to increase by 50% in five years
  • The Scottish Football Association to make payments to clubs when players are on international duty

A draft of the document was discussed at a meeting on 7 January but has since been re-drafted after prolonged deliberations over a number of months.

BBC Scotland has learned that a vote on the proposals should finally take place in mid-May.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13116378.stm

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would transform Scottish football. For clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc the biggest game they'll ever get is Rangers or Celtic.

Can you imagine how excited they'd be to draw Man United at home?

I wouldn't mind a trip to Ibrox either.

Wont happen. Would be nice to over time show the Scottish League their level. When only Celtic and Rangers make a quarter final because Hibs have been dumped out by Huddersfield. Celtic to crash out yearly to the higher Championship sides. After their first year of giving it their all to prove a point.

Celtic v Leeds in a packed Wembley?

Anyone got a lighter?

No offence EdinburghRam. Just dont think much to Scottish football. Bit ignorant but i can't help it. But then..... you probably agree?

Wont happen. Would be nice to over time show the Scottish League their level. When only Celtic and Rangers make a quarter final because Hibs have been dumped out by Huddersfield. Celtic to crash out yearly to the higher Championship sides. After their first year of giving it their all to prove a point.

Celtic v Leeds in a packed Wembley?

Anyone got a lighter?

No offence EdinburghRam. Just dont think much to Scottish football. Bit ignorant but i can't help it. But then..... you probably agree?

None taken what so ever, scottish football is absolutely shocking. My scottish team Livingston (family) is the only interest I take in scottish football, lower league football up here is much more enjoyable for me but the SPL is a joke in every sense. I'm also glad to see someone who hates Celtic as much as me, disgusting club and fans

Probably be as successful as the Anglo-Italian cup was.

Still, we dished out a few whoopings in that competition before it went t1ts up.

Rangers and Celtic would probably make the QFs but would come unstuck against any of the top 6.

Probably what Scottish football needs, more competition, but not what English football needs, less fixtures.

It would be great. As someone mentioned, like the anglo italian cup, where we had some great away trips. And it's always nice to show the Scottish public how to play football but I think they may lose interest after a couple of years of everyone apart from Rangers and C**tic getting dumped out by the likes of Burton and Crewe, and the other two losing to Doncaster and Brighton.

Top premier league clubs treat the FA Cup and League Cup with contempt so I can't see them going for this.

Plus they moan about playing too many games as it is don't they?

If it replaces the League Cup, then it won't be much of a problem.

The top 6 would likely treat it as they treat the league cup - kids playing until they get through to the final.

More chance of other teams getting silverware then, as well as more sponsorship and prize money. Good for the game as a whole in my book.

Archived