Forum Server Move

Day

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could I just ask, without sounding rude, what do you actually get out of running the forum?

Is there any return of investment involved?

Don't be so rude!

I'm a Derby fan that doesn't live in the area and not able to go to games, the internet is my main source of information. I got bored of all the crap on the DET so I created this place.

It has cost money to setup/run but not as much as a season ticket each season. I've been using a mates server for all the sites I've designed that needed hosting, now I've opened up my own server and it costs a set fee each month for unlimited sites, server costs will cover themselves with the hosting fees I charge so this will cost nowt to run.

Don't be so rude!

I'm a Derby fan that doesn't live in the area and not able to go to games, the internet is my main source of information. I got bored of all the crap on the DET so I created this place.

It has cost money to setup/run but not as much as a season ticket each season. I've been using a mates server for all the sites I've designed that needed hosting, now I've opened up my own server and it costs a set fee each month for unlimited sites, server costs will cover themselves with the hosting fees I charge so this will cost nowt to run.

That's alright then!

Thanks for divulging ;)

dcfcfans > DET

Possibly, what it is the host company (Heart Internet) sells reseller packages, each person get's a section of a server (webX), you don't get a server to yourself as such but you get a little section off your own that is private. I'm not sure how many resellers are on each as it varies.

We used to be on Web140 with my mate and any sites he hosted were on the server. Now one guy I've been building sites for wants resource heavy sites, fetching information from other sites and Tweeting them out every 5 mins and they have been on the same server as us.

This has been slowing down not just my mates little section but the whole server so much that other resellers have been complaining so they shut his sites down. He's now moved to a host in America (which I'm currently in the process of moving his 20 odd sites now).

I've opened my own reseller account and all my sites are on Web78. So far it seems to be slightly quicker, this maybe because there are less resellers on this server or it's just the fact I'm off the same server as the guy I've been working for.

Hope that makes sense.

I make websites, do my shops website, accounts and orders etc. Jack of all trades, master of none some would say.

Met a guy through my Brother in Law around 10 years ago, started doing the odd website for him, as the years passed we'd bounce ideas off each other and I'd create them for him and he would reward me with Gold coins.

I've been doing some quick knock up jobs that pull info in from other sources and send it out to Twitter, people click to his site through Twitter, click on his ads and he makes money.

Also passed me onto to a few mates that I did and still do work for, plus I get the odd job come through the shop now from customers.

I'm kind of semi retired as the shops doing well and the website money buys me beer and pays for my Superdry T-shirt addiction.

I make websites, do my shops website, accounts and orders etc. Jack of all trades, master of none some would say.

Met a guy through my Brother in Law around 10 years ago, started doing the odd website for him, as the years passed we'd bounce ideas off each other and I'd create them for him and he would reward me with Gold coins.

I've been doing some quick knock up jobs that pull info in from other sources and send it out to Twitter, people click to his site through Twitter, click on his ads and he makes money.

Also passed me onto to a few mates that I did and still do work for, plus I get the odd job come through the shop now from customers.

I'm kind of semi retired as the shops doing well and the website money buys me beer and pays for my Superdry T-shirt addiction.

And people boo us students! ;)

Sounds decent that, Bravo!

I wouldn't mind doing something similar, but I haven't the patience to learn to be honest.

Speaking of Superdry, now's the time to buy shares with them.

They're expanding to a European and Asian market (irony) which is set to magnify sales 10-fold within a few years.

Archived