Forum Server Move

Day

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not actually that hard to be honest, how I started was my Dad asked if I could make him a website, at that point I had only used a PC a couple of times whilst attempting to find at my mates house during dinner break (whilst at school).

Sat down on the tinternet, just read a few things, had a play around and started picking stuff up. The stuff I did back then wasn't great, just very basic pages but you just keep picking up little bits as you go along.

Even now I still don't know everything, it's not as simple as writing down a few lines of HTML and BOOM you have a website, you've got PHP, Javascript, CSS, MySQL DB's to deal with.

I've had some real head scratching moments all ready this morning with things called Cron Jobs. It's where you ask the server to perform a task at a set time each day/month. Took a Bacon buttie to figure that one out.

If you want to do it for a hobby go for it, you can get free hosting (ad supported) now that you can just mess around with. If you want to do it for a living go to college and get a certificate otherwise you will find it pretty hard to get a job. I got lucky with my contacts, and the fact they are Asian and have 50 brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and they seem to know every other Asian business owner around. (not being racist at all before anyone starts!)

It's not actually that hard to be honest, how I started was my Dad asked if I could make him a website, at that point I had only used a PC a couple of times whilst attempting to find at my mates house during dinner break (whilst at school).

Sat down on the tinternet, just read a few things, had a play around and started picking stuff up. The stuff I did back then wasn't great, just very basic pages but you just keep picking up little bits as you go along.

Even now I still don't know everything, it's not as simple as writing down a few lines of HTML and BOOM you have a website, you've got PHP, Javascript, CSS, MySQL DB's to deal with.

I've had some real head scratching moments all ready this morning with things called Cron Jobs. It's where you ask the server to perform a task at a set time each day/month. Took a Bacon buttie to figure that one out.

If you want to do it for a hobby go for it, you can get free hosting (ad supported) now that you can just mess around with. If you want to do it for a living go to college and get a certificate otherwise you will find it pretty hard to get a job. I got lucky with my contacts, and the fact they are Asian and have 50 brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and they seem to know every other Asian business owner around. (not being racist at all before anyone starts!)

I suppose it's like anything really then; start off, pick things up over time and get better with it.

Fair play to you!

um...when my computer goes wrong i try to force a bacon butty in through the disc drive but it doesn't ususally help tbh.

I am doing this in college and I hate it. Explains why I'm dropping the course lol.

Ry wants one for his birthday :eek:

Reading about the superdry whatsits just reminded of last year when we went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach and got on Valhalla. Guy in front was wearing a superdry thingy and when he got off he was just as soaked as the rest of us and stood for ages wringing out his sleeves!

Made me larf that did. :D

Archived