Have the yanks shot themselves in the foot?

sideshowbob

For the last 2 seasons, whilst not investing very much and basically bleeding the club dry, the yanks have had a club that has pretty much been reasonably stable in the championship with 30,000 crowds.

Now they have been so tight and penny pinching that this season we are no longer secure in this division, and attendances are falling.

If they had only invested enough to bring in 2 or 3 decent players (defender, midfielder, attacker maybe?), and I mean sign not on loan, then we would probably still be stable in the division, the fans would be a lot happier (plenty of happy clappers out there) and we would probably still have high attendances.

Their greedy ways have basically scored an own goal.

Which ironically is more than what our players are capable of!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed fella, a moderate investment in championship quality players was all that was needed , keep us competitive in this division, and they could have made their management fees indefinately, with the the odd yo-yo forage into the Prem thrown in for good measure.

I think they've abused the trust now, be difficult to get that back.

I think GSE have shot themselves in the foot by appointing Nigel. Now let me explain before you rip into me (and it may take a while, I've had a few):

They've appointed a manager who's surname has such a weighting with this club it's unbelievable. At first this may have been seen as a good move. It gives the fans a lift, a sense of fate if you will, that he's the right man and good times are back. They also have a man in which will not go against the grain, a man who will tow the party line. However if they now feel that man is not up to the task then they're not in a position to get rid. They've invested so little that even if Nigel is failing, they will be seen as the problem and not him due to his surname and the link that it has with the club. Any other under-performing manager (and that's a personal consideration) would have gone by now, however they simply can't do that. With 'board out' protests already, sacking a man with the surname of Clough would make them hated. So they've created a rod for their own back, they've appointed the unsackable at a time when they've not invested.

I think GSE have shot themselves in the foot by appointing Nigel. Now let me explain before you rip into me (and it may take a while, I've had a few):

They've appointed a manager who's surname has such a weighting with this club it's unbelievable. At first this may have been seen as a good move. It gives the fans a lift, a sense of fate if you will, that he's the right man and good times are back. They also have a man in which will not go against the grain, a man who will tow the party line. However if they now feel that man is not up to the task then they're not in a position to get rid. They've invested so little that even if Nigel is failing, they will be seen as the problem and not him due to his surname and the link that it has with the club. Any other under-performing manager (and that's a personal consideration) would have gone by now, however they simply can't do that. With 'board out' protests already, sacking a man with the surname of Clough would make them hated. So they've created a rod for their own back, they've appointed the unsackable at a time when they've not invested.

You are right in a lot of what you say here. The name 'Clough' bonds most fans together, hence a very good strategic move by GSE.

Any other manager would have seen fans on the back of the manager and on at the club to sack him. Instead we have relative calm, considering the awful run of results.

Where you and I depart on this is your view that a different manager would have this first division team higher up the league and winning matches. You think a different manager would have halved the wage bill, made a profit in the transfer market and still turned around the team.

Personally, I think you're dreaming in that perception. Firstly that there's someone who could do that and secondly that they'd bother their @rse to come here and even try.

The problem I have with the Clough out minority is that you are a vocal minority, but if you have your way, they sack off Clough and some desperate, out-of-work nobber comes in to replace him; when he finds he too can do nothing without funds etc - you'll just fade away and say nothing.

So, you're dead right the name Clough bonds people together. And that - aside from £3-5million in transfer kitty - is EXACTLY what the club needs right now. In the absence of cash, then fans bonded together is the only thing we have going for us.

You are right in a lot of what you say here. The name 'Clough' bonds most fans together, hence a very good strategic move by GSE.

Any other manager would have seen fans on the back of the manager and on at the club to sack him. Instead we have relative calm, considering the awful run of results.

Where you and I depart on this is your view that a different manager would have this first division team higher up the league and winning matches. You think a different manager would have halved the wage bill, made a profit in the transfer market and still turned around the team.

Personally, I think you're dreaming in that perception. Firstly that there's someone who could do that and secondly that they'd bother their @rse to come here and even try.

The problem I have with the Clough out minority is that you are a vocal minority, but if you have your way, they sack off Clough and some desperate, out-of-work nobber comes in to replace him; when he finds he too can do nothing without funds etc - you'll just fade away and say nothing.

So, you're dead right the name Clough bonds people together. And that - aside from £3-5million in transfer kitty - is EXACTLY what the club needs right now. In the absence of cash, then fans bonded together is the only thing we have going for us.

We both know we differ, I feel Nigel should still be judged on what he does and you feel he's not been given a fair crack at the job due to finances and that any manager would find themselves in the same circumstances. Have a look at Southend then. They had Tilson in charge, a fans favourite. He had no money and got relegated. The board sacked Tilson to the dismay of the fans as they felt that no other manager could do anything under such financial constraints. They appointed Sturrock who, when he joined, had 7 players on the books, 5 of which had publicly stated they wanted to leave. He was left with 2 players and no money. Using his networks, scouting, contacts, etc he managed to get a team together, on no money. They now sit 2 points from the play-offs. If the fans had their way then Tilson would still be in charge as no other manager could have done better. But he board appointed the right man for the situation, a man who had contacts and a good scouting mentality that got him the players. Although Nigel may one day be a great manager he isn't what we need right now when we have little money.

We both know we differ, I feel Nigel should still be judged on what he does and you feel he's not been given a fair crack at the job due to finances and that any manager would find themselves in the same circumstances. Have a look at Southend then. They had Tilson in charge, a fans favourite. He had no money and got relegated. The board sacked Tilson to the dismay of the fans as they felt that no other manager could do anything under such financial constraints. They appointed Sturrock who, when he joined, had 7 players on the books, 5 of which had publicly stated they wanted to leave. He was left with 2 players and no money. Using his networks, scouting, contacts, etc he managed to get a team together, on no money. They now sit 2 points from the play-offs. If the fans had their way then Tilson would still be in charge as no other manager could have done better. But he board appointed the right man for the situation, a man who had contacts and a good scouting mentality that got him the players. Although Nigel may one day be a great manager he isn't what we need right now when we have little money.

Good point about Southend. And what about Holloway! The trouble is, all the other millions of times a manager gets sacked and the new manager comes in and nothing changes. Then they get sacked. And the circle continues. A bit like us really.

It is apparent from our signings and proposed signings that our manager has few contacts and no scouting network. As few good youngsters are coming through the set up run by his non league mates, and there is no money available for players in is hard to see how the club can possibly go forward under these circumstances. However GSE put up a lot of money to buy the club, and an extra £16m share issue to pay off debts.

The big millstone of a debt possibly approaching £40m left behind by cumulative failures of all boards since Pickering is what has damned DERBY COUNTY NOT THE ACTIONS OF THE PRESENT BOARD.

Apart from the Brian Clough era, lets be honest we have mainly been a going nowhere championship (div 1 of old) side, he elevated us to glory and left a base for future glory, because he was an exceptional manager. His son IS NOT! However Nigel may prove to be an adequate manager, of average competence, which is more than can be said of some of his prededecessors.

Smith/Pickering/3 stooges/Gadsby/Pearson/Jewell/Browne/Davies have all played their part in killing Derby County it needs better than merely adequate to bring a corpse back to life.

It is apparent from our signings and proposed signings that our manager has few contacts and no scouting network. As few good youngsters are coming through the set up run by his non league mates, and there is no money available for players in is hard to see how the club can possibly go forward under these circumstances. However GSE put up a lot of money to buy the club, and an extra £16m share issue to pay off debts.

The big millstone of a debt possibly approaching £40m left behind by cumulative failures of all boards since Pickering is what has damned DERBY COUNTY NOT THE ACTIONS OF THE PRESENT BOARD.

Apart from the Brian Clough era, lets be honest we have mainly been a going nowhere championship (div 1 of old) side, he elevated us to glory and left a base for future glory, because he was an exceptional manager. His son IS NOT! However Nigel may prove to be an adequate manager, of average competence, which is more than can be said of some of his prededecessors.

Smith/Pickering/3 stooges/Gadsby/Pearson/Jewell/Browne/Davies have all played their part in killing Derby County it needs better than merely adequate to bring a corpse back to life.

Yes,you can't beat a good bit of exaggeration to force a point.As GSE have stated the debt on takeover to be £31m,are you trying to say they were possibly not telling the truth?

It amuses me when people say the LOG spending (that 07/08 income could support) plunged us into debt,yet the supplementary January 08 spree (which the 07/08 income couldn't support) attracts no comment.The truth of the matter is that it was this spending that effectively increased the debt,given that our owners injected nothing in 07/08.

You say that an injection of £16m cleared the debt.Please tell us all what paid for the axis of players from Sav to Varney (transfer fees,signing on fees,agents' fees,league levy,high wages and contract buy outs for any players signed in the period)?

Do you still believe in the tooth fairy?

Pickering is a Derby legend. It's an insult to put him in the same sentance as the 3 amigos. Shame on you.

Archived