Bendtner with another stunning statement

Hucknall Ram

Nicklas Bendtner says he's deserving of £50,000-a-week wages because of sacrifices he has to make

Arsenal and Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner has insisted that top-level footballers are worth the extortionate amount paid to them by their clubs.

Bendtner, who is set to start Wednesday night's friendly against England up front for Denmark, argued that the sacrifices in lifestyle required to be a footballer go some way to justifying the huge wages they earn.

"There is a price to pay as well for us players. Personally, I think I pay a big price with my body, my time, and with never being able to have privacy when I am out and around other people.

"I am not complaining. It's a natural part of being a professional footballer but it is definitely a price to pay when, for example, you can't go out to eat in a restaurant with your girlfriend without photographers chasing you.

"The biggest thing I miss because of football is that I really, really love to go on a skiing holiday, but as long as I have my careeer I can't do that because of the risk of being injured."

Despite missing out on his beloved skiing holidays, Bendtner admitted that being a footballer does have its benefits. "I would lie if I said that I didn't enjoy the money I earn in football," he said.

"Somehow I believe that we must be worth our salaries because that is how the mechanism of society works. As long as I work as hard as I can, I believe I am worth what is coming my way.

"It is difficult to compare a footballer's wage to the wage of a bank manager or the manager of a large company. They are without a doubt putting a lot into their jobs and they are important to other people's lives as well but my line of work is different to that.

"I am in the football business and on the highest level, where Arsenal are, football is first-class entertainment. So it is wrong to compare my salary to the salary of businenessmen. Compare it to movie actors instead."

The 23 year-old has been linked with a move away from Arsenal at the end of the season, after becoming third choice striker behind Robin van Persie and Marouane Chamakh, but Bendtner believes he deserves a place in Arsene Wenger's 11 despite only starting one Premier League game this season.

"I am happy to be an Arsenal player but of course I must play more," he said. "I'm good enough to be in the line-ip. I will play this season to the end as an Arsenal player and then make a decision on my status in the summer.

"If I'm still happy then I will stay. Otherwise, we must see what will happen."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8310370/Nicklas-Bendtner-says-hes-deserving-of-50000-a-week-wages-because-of-sacrifices-he-has-to-make.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicklas Bendtner says he's deserving of £50,000-a-week wages because of sacrifices he has to make

Arsenal and Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner has insisted that top-level footballers are worth the extortionate amount paid to them by their clubs.

Bendtner, who is set to start Wednesday night's friendly against England up front for Denmark, argued that the sacrifices in lifestyle required to be a footballer go some way to justifying the huge wages they earn.

"There is a price to pay as well for us players. Personally, I think I pay a big price with my body, my time, and with never being able to have privacy when I am out and around other people.

"I am not complaining. It's a natural part of being a professional footballer but it is definitely a price to pay when, for example, you can't go out to eat in a restaurant with your girlfriend without photographers chasing you.

"The biggest thing I miss because of football is that I really, really love to go on a skiing holiday, but as long as I have my careeer I can't do that because of the risk of being injured."

Despite missing out on his beloved skiing holidays, Bendtner admitted that being a footballer does have its benefits. "I would lie if I said that I didn't enjoy the money I earn in football," he said.

"Somehow I believe that we must be worth our salaries because that is how the mechanism of society works. As long as I work as hard as I can, I believe I am worth what is coming my way.

"It is difficult to compare a footballer's wage to the wage of a bank manager or the manager of a large company. They are without a doubt putting a lot into their jobs and they are important to other people's lives as well but my line of work is different to that.

"I am in the football business and on the highest level, where Arsenal are, football is first-class entertainment. So it is wrong to compare my salary to the salary of businenessmen. Compare it to movie actors instead."

The 23 year-old has been linked with a move away from Arsenal at the end of the season, after becoming third choice striker behind Robin van Persie and Marouane Chamakh, but Bendtner believes he deserves a place in Arsene Wenger's 11 despite only starting one Premier League game this season.

"I am happy to be an Arsenal player but of course I must play more," he said. "I'm good enough to be in the line-ip. I will play this season to the end as an Arsenal player and then make a decision on my status in the summer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8310370/Nicklas-Bendtner-says-hes-deserving-of-50000-a-week-wages-because-of-sacrifices-he-has-to-make.html

Mmmm **** imo how about miners ,nurses and any good profesion you can name that saves or assists lives or do a hard days graft?

How about our troops?

Sorry you get no sympathy from me you tosser that is aimed at all footballers that think they get a hard deal.It is time and funny how he links bank managers with his salary isnt it?to get paid for entertainment

Seems like a nice down to earth bloke.

Best wishes to him in the future.

Ah, the freedom of not being a footballer. I love it. Anyone coming skiing tomorrow? Me and a few lads i know from the Armed Forces who are back from Afghanistan with arms and legs missing have decided to splash some of our cash. Thank God i don't earn 50k a week. Imagine the constraints!!

The top level of entertainment???

A man sitting on a bench in a tracksuit isn't entertainment. If you were paid for every minute of entertainment you've provided personally Mr Bendtner then i think you'd be be lucky to go sledging in Alvaston Park rather than skiing.

Mind the splinters duck. Say hi to Sunu.

Me and a friend have mocked Bendtner on occasion. But, i can't help liking him.

Can't fault him for having ambitions, that's why we laugh at him really. Puts to much pressure on himself probably.

Nobody deserves that much money, but he's got a point about the culture of football and the 'Big Brother' style lives they live.

You know why he wears 52? That's how many chances he needs to score!!:D:D

Ah!! So that's what he got that number for. I knew it was significant.

First i thought it was how many times out of 53 that Wenger would rather play Van Persie, Arshavin or Walcott.

:)

Journalist nonsense. It really makes me angry when they do this.

Bendtner's words are being blown out of all proportion. I don't think that the journalist is being fair on him at all, but there we are.

All he said was that there's a price to pay, which is true. I don't think there are many happy proffesional footballers.

He's also right. He gets paid what he should get paid in terms of market mechanisms. If you have ever paid for a season ticket, and especially if you have ever subscribed to ESPN/Setanta or Sky Sports, then you have played your role as much as the footballers have and I don't think we have a right to complain. If none of us bought any merchandise and refused to subscribe to Sky, then footballers would be earning what they were 30 or 40 years ago compared to the average wage.

Archived