The Usual Weasel Words From Glick

Jayram

From the DET website:

"We have (invested) and are prepared to continue to do so".

"And we are looking to strengthen in the summer".

Asked if the owners would sell the club if the right offer came in, Glick's response was immediate: "No, we are not interested in that.

"We are interested in winning, in delivering the success this club requires and expects.

The GSE bullshit machine is getting into pre-ST renewal mode again folks!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the DET website:

Asked if the owners would sell the club if the right offer came in, Glick's response was immediate: "No, we are not interested in that.

"We are interested in winning, in delivering the success this club requires and expects.

Get a grip....maybe, just maybe, he is telling the truth...and I firmly believe he is.

Get a grip....maybe, just maybe, he is telling the truth...and I firmly believe he is.

You get a grip - past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour. The BBs are full of debate about the 3 years of failed promises, which is what those concerned base their position on; namely the empirical evidence that suggests more of the same.

You base your unswerving faith in GSE on what exactly?

You get a grip - past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour. The BBs are full of debate about the 3 years of failed promises, which is what those concerned base their position on; namely the empirical evidence that suggests more of the same.

You base your unswerving faith in GSE on what exactly?

because i don't get sucked in by the "oh, they are American, they must be lying" rubbish that so many do.

If nigel trusts them, then that is good enough for me.

My names Clough so I can do no wrong. I don't know how anyone can trust the board about putting some money into the playing staff. they say it every window then don't. They say they are building long term for the future yet in the next breath say they see more value in loans.

If you read Glick's comments today, he says that we bid for Sammon and the bid was accepted, but Wigan gazump'ed us. From that point it was up to the player who to choose and, for some reason I really can't fathom, he chose to move to a Premiership club - fair play to him. Glick also admits in hindsight that they played it wrong by waiting too long before bidding for Sammon, taking 1 last look at the player before deciding he was the man to go for - which I think is understandable given that he's only been scoring regularly this season. So there has been effort made to spend money on players during the January window, not all of that effort has been fruitful but more importantly that effort has not been reckless. We all want to see 7-figure signings, but I for one don't want to see 7-figure sums paid for 5- or 6-figure value players.

because i don't get sucked in by the "oh, they are American, they must be lying" rubbish that so many do.

If nigel trusts them, then that is good enough for me.

How do you know Nigel trusts them? Or even believes them? In fact, how do you know he isn't actually aware it's all PR but he's prepared to toe the line?

Most people do what their boss tells them. It doesn't mean they believe their boss is right, genuine, a lovely person, the second coming or so on. It just means they don't want to lose their job.

It's also in Nigel's own interests to try to keep the fans enthused and optimistic. fewer of them turning up would mean he'd have to trim the wage bill even more.

If you read Glick's comments today, he says that we bid for Sammon and the bid was accepted, but Wigan gazump'ed us. From that point it was up to the player who to choose and, for some reason I really can't fathom, he chose to move to a Premiership club - fair play to him. Glick also admits in hindsight that they played it wrong by waiting too long before bidding for Sammon, taking 1 last look at the player before deciding he was the man to go for - which I think is understandable given that he's only been scoring regularly this season. So there has been effort made to spend money on players during the January window, not all of that effort has been fruitful but more importantly that effort has not been reckless. We all want to see 7-figure signings, but I for one don't want to see 7-figure sums paid for 5- or 6-figure value players.

As I stated yesterday, I think you'll find he might have shelved that ambition if we'd offered a couple of grand a week more than Wigan.

And as for being too slow off the mark, when you're only prepared to shop in TK Maxx, you've got to be first to grab the best stuff off the rail. With any luck it'll probably only take another ten or so transfer windows for the club to realise that there are other shoppers in the store.

Trouble is,Hartley,that it's another in an ever growing list of players that we're told we bid for,only to see the player not arrived.All this makes a lot of us wonder if we were truly that serious about them.Of course one way to end it would be to actually sign a decent player

From the DET website:

And it's the usual words from you. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but I don't respect the way you go about it, every morning, new post same dig, just carry on your first post.

As I stated yesterday, I think you'll find he might have shelved that ambition if we'd offered a couple of grand a week more than Wigan.

And as for being too slow off the mark, when you're only prepared to shop in TK Maxx, you've got to be first to grab the best stuff off the rail. With any luck it'll probably only take another ten or so transfer windows for the club to realise that there are other shoppers in the store.

Great analogy, couldn't have put it better myself. As soon as it was apparent Kuqi & Moore wouldn't be coming back we should've been scouting potential targets in preparation for the transfer window. If it takes more than 3/4 games to decide whether a player is right for the club then we're not very good judges of talent. Come 1st Jan why weren't we ready to make bids on respective targets??? Seeing as Nigel always preaches the fact that he likes to get his transfer business done early doors it's becoming more apparent that him and the board were under the misguided opinion that Chris Porter & Steven Davies would suffice, which again, makes us appear not very good judges of talent...

Great analogy, couldn't have put it better myself. As soon as it was apparent Kuqi & Moore wouldn't be coming back we should've been scouting potential targets in preparation for the transfer window. If it takes more than 3/4 games to decide whether a player is right for the club then we're not very good judges of talent. Come 1st Jan why weren't we ready to make bids on respective targets??? Seeing as Nigel always preaches the fact that he likes to get his transfer business done early doors it's becoming more apparent that him and the board were under the misguided opinion that Chris Porter & Steven Davies would suffice, which again, makes us appear not very good judges of talent...

Porter scored two on New Years day though. Might have changed their minds completely, especially with his good scoring record prior to his injuries.

completely agree with you hartley.

Money is tight, we all know that, we cannot afford to take a gamble on a player, we need to be pretty sure that who we are bidding for is going to be the real deal, hence having another look at Sammon. He chose to go to Wigan, fair play to him, he wants the big league, who can fault him for that?

People have to realise that as soon as we are up against a top flight club when bidding for a player that they will almost always chose them over us, even if it is only Wigan....they are a better career move than Derby County, sad, but true I am afraid.

completely agree with you hartley.

Money is tight, we all know that, we cannot afford to take a gamble on a player, we need to be pretty sure that who we are bidding for is going to be the real deal, hence having another look at Sammon. He chose to go to Wigan, fair play to him, he wants the big league, who can fault him for that?

People have to realise that as soon as we are up against a top flight club when bidding for a player that they will almost always chose them over us, even if it is only Wigan....they are a better career move than Derby County, sad, but true I am afraid.

For as long as we're clearly demonstrating no ambition whatsoever, I wholeheartedly agree.

Do you know how much Wigan are paying him per week? Do you know how "a couple of grand a week more" would have placed him in the pecking order at Derby? He's an unproven player, if Wigan are paying him 13k a week, for example, are you sure you'd want us to be giving him the 15k that we were prepared to pay Commons - a player whose abilities and limitations were known to us? How would you feel if we'd done that and he turned out to be a cart horse rather than the race horse we hoped we were buying? (I say hoped, because he is unproven.) And how would the rest of the squad feel if some new guy came in on top whack? They'd be shouting, "Where's mine?". Confidence is low in the squad at the moment, no need to go out of our way to sow discontent.

We're not shopping at TK Maxx, we're more like kids in an orchard - there'll always be some bigger kid come along and take the apples that are just too high up for us to pick quickly.

Do you know how much Wigan are paying him per week? Do you know how "a couple of grand a week more" would have placed him in the pecking order at Derby? He's an unproven player, if Wigan are paying him 13k a week, for example, are you sure you'd want us to be giving him the 15k that we were prepared to pay Commons - a player whose abilities and limitations were known to us? How would you feel if we'd done that and he turned out to be a cart horse rather than the race horse we hoped we were buying? (I say hoped, because he is unproven.) And how would the rest of the squad feel if some new guy came in on top whack? They'd be shouting, "Where's mine?". Confidence is low in the squad at the moment, no need to go out of our way to sow discontent.

We're not shopping at TK Maxx, we're more like kids in an orchard - there'll always be some bigger kid come along and take the apples that are just too high up for us to pick quickly.

You must live in a really nice place.

For as long as we're clearly demonstrating no ambition whatsoever, I wholeheartedly agree.

We could demonstrate all the ambition in the world, but it's achievement that counts. Wigan have achieved a continuing stay in the Premiership, and that means increased exposure for the players and potentially increased earning power beyond any current contract. We can't offer that even if we could offer the same or higher wages. It's not all about money now for the players, it's about money in the future too.

Every signing is a gamble to a certain degree - you cannot guarantee that a player who has been successful at one club with reproduce that at his next. The transfer market is all about taking calculated risks. NC has signed plenty of players from the lower leagues, I'm not knocking this tactic at all because it is possible to unearth a really good player with potential - but in doing this you are gambling on a player being good enough to make the step up.

The biggest irritant for me in regards to this transfer window, is that the management had 5 whole months to source different stikers once Hulse had been sold in August. Then once the window opened, they had an entire month to attempt to bid for the player/s they had been watching. Why then, do they not make a firm bid for a forward until the afternoon of the final day of the window?? Logic would surely suggest that if you leave your business until the very last minute, you are asking to get your fingers burnt.

In comparison (all be it on a much bigger scale) take the Darren Bent transfer from Sunderland to Villa. Villa made their move for the player early in the window, taking any potential competition for his signature by surprise. If they had choosen to leave their bid until the last day, I would suggest that Bent would possibly now be a Liverpool player now..

What are you saying then? You would prefer a short term gain (more money) than a future bigger gain, putting yourself in the premier shop window? So if Donny offered you more than Wolves you would go there? Cos not many would.

Archived