The Usual Weasel Words From Glick

Jayram

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it explains Nigel comments about the need for investment but then also praising Glick for his efforts and work in contracts and attempts to sign players.......

......I love a good conspiracy......the truth is out there

Not sure it adds up to a conspiracy. Simple explanation would be that Glick is as much a prisoner of circumstance as Clough. GCE themselves do not have the money - look at their website and you will see Derby seems to be the only thing they own. It is investors who call the tune.

I don't particularly blame Glick for trying to put the most positive spin he can on things. That is his job. But it is clear now that the orders from above are to cut costs, make a profit, etc. There is no sign of these owners wanting to invest for success. Not just because of January but because of the last two years.

Clough's problem isn't Glick. It is the investors.

Not sure it adds up to a conspiracy. Simple explanation would be that Glick is as much a prisoner of circumstance as Clough. GCE themselves do not have the money - look at their website and you will see Derby seems to be the only thing they own. It is investors who call the tune.

I don't particularly blame Glick for trying to put the most positive spin he can on things. That is his job. But it is clear now that the orders from above are to cut costs, make a profit, etc. There is no sign of these owners wanting to invest for success. Not just because of January but because of the last two years.

I agree with you fella. Seems things can point towards that conclusion.

I still don't see Nigel as being completely blameless in all of this. We tried to sign Hooper for what I believe to be in excess of a million. We didn't. Did the playing staff really go to Glick and say 'we've searched high and low, over land and see and the only player, I mean the only player, who fits what we need for around a million is Hooper, who happens to be playing in the same league as us' and when told we couldn't sign him he turns and says 'well that was it, he was the only one'? Seems odd to me that we can bid for these players, and they're not bluffs and some of our bids have been accepted, but they appear to be the only ones identified. That poor, very poor in my opinion. I mean 6 months later we're after Sammon for I think £800k, but that's it then there's no other strikers good enough for the Championship available for £800k? He was the only one was he?

That's pretty much how I see it too, the scouting network isn't there and a proportion of the blame for this is down to Nigel. As if Fergason, Wenger, Ancelotti, Redknapp rely solely on their scouts when they're thinking of bringing players in??? All good managers should have a substantial knowledge of the better players in each division and at the moment I don't think Nigel has, hence the lack of potential targets during the window...

I presume you mean a substantial knowledge of the better players in the divisions below that in which we actually compete?

I agree with you fella. Seems things can point towards that conclusion.

I still don't see Nigel as being completely blameless in all of this. We tried to sign Hooper for what I believe to be in excess of a million. We didn't. Did the playing staff really go to Glick and say 'we've searched high and low, over land and see and the only player, I mean the only player, who fits what we need for around a million is Hooper, who happens to be playing in the same league as us' and when told we couldn't sign him he turns and says 'well that was it, he was the only one'? Seems odd to me that we can bid for these players, and they're not bluffs and some of our bids have been accepted, but they appear to be the only ones identified. That poor, very poor in my opinion. I mean 6 months later we're after Sammon for I think £800k, but that's it then there's no other strikers good enough for the Championship available for £800k? He was the only one was he?

Absolutely. Glick & Clough are now coming across as a pair of spurned lovers but let's not gloss over the fact that it's obvious there was a huge lack of forward planning on their parts to identify and bring in perspective targets...

Absolutely. Glick & Clough are now coming across as a pair of spurned lovers but let's not gloss over the fact that it's obvious there was a huge lack of forward planning on their parts to identify and bring in perspective targets...

There's apparently no-one looking beyond England or Scotland either.

Must be hundreds of players around the world in our price range who could improve the team. Just a matter of finding them. Imagine what another Idiakez and Rasiak could do for us right now.

The Hooper situation was incredibly odd. It was clear from quite early on that our bid was not sufficient and if was going elsewhere. But it convinced a lot of people we had money to spend. In the event we ended up with no alternative and Moxey up front. It is of course possible Clough did not want anyone else but it is on wonder eyebrows are raised.

We don't know how many players he is allowed to bid for or how hard they are chased. What we do know is that we have ended up in dire trouble with a paper thin squad.

The Hooper situation was incredibly odd. It was clear from quite early on that our bid was not sufficient and if was going elsewhere. But it convinced a lot of people we had money to spend. In the event we ended up with no alternative and Moxey up front. It is of course possible Clough did not want anyone else but it is on wonder eyebrows are raised.

We don't know how many players he is allowed to bid for or how hard they are chased. What we do know is that we have ended up in dire trouble with a paper thin squad.

Of course,one good saga can eat up a lot of a window of expectation.Funnily enough,the alternative sagas seem to conclude with a sale and such might be called the 'foresight saga'.We're just unsure what to call the former variety (suggestions always welcomed).

I certainy don't disagree with you there. He is a superb front man and you can't be that good if you're not in tune with the situation and have a certain amount of genuine empathy.

Caveat that he is culpable in terms of being a key cog in the GSE wheel, which should have secured ALL of the funding before taking the job on.

I've used the analogy before, but doesn't seem to get through to those who constantly point to failed bids as evidence of funds - if I go and offer someone £1million for a house they expect £2million for, that doesn't in any way mean I was in any way serious about making the purchase.

I certainy don't disagree with you there. He is a superb front man and you can't be that good if you're not in tune with the situation and have a certain amount of genuine empathy.

Caveat that he is culpable in terms of being a key cog in the GSE wheel, which should have secured ALL of the funding before taking the job on.

I don't disagree. I don't want to paint Glick as a sympathetic figure - it is quite possible he has always known there would not be any money. I just think people should be wary of presenting this as 'Clough v Glick'. The real problem goes higher.

It does annoy me however that people don't subject Glick's words to proper scrutiny. For example he says 'there is money to spend' and everyone assumes Clough has been offered a war chest of millions but either won't or can't find the right targets. The pattern of the last couple of years suggest something different - that there is only a limited amount available, that it has been dependent on sales, that only low wages will be offered, that we will only bid for one or two players at a time, etc.

All of which is compatible with 'there is money to spend' - but it hardly tells the full story. Glick is entitled to say this - it is part of his job - but fans should be prepared to submit his words to scrutiny and look at the bigger picture (no net investment, wages slashed, small squad, best players gone).

Glick's chief concern is the success of his small American sports management company. Derby is the only thing it currently owns. He wants to show future American clients he can run a sports 'franchise' responsibly and profitably. I am sure success on the pitch would be a bonus but it is not the main thing. If the investors say jump, if asks how high.

Don't hate him for this - it is his job. But we should not be blind to it either.

Just been looking at the GSE website again, and inparticular "the Team"

http://generalsports.com/about/our-team

Tom Glick is no longer listed as a member of "the team"

Was he ever listed?Sure I read somewhere that Faulkner was described as an 'associate' and I think Glick was head hunted from an American franchise to fill his current role.He may just be employed by Derby County(and the owners,by extension).

Was he ever listed?Sure I read somewhere that Faulkner was described as an 'associate' and I think Glick was head hunted from an American franchise to fill his current role.He may just be employed by Derby County(and the owners,by extension).

True, but I am sure he was listed when they first took over, but cant be sure.

True, but I am sure he was listed when they first took over, but cant be sure.

GSE don't appear to be involved in very much major,when they haven't got a 'project' on the go.There may be longish,relatively 'idle' times in between projects-could they afford to be paying people like Glick in the interim periods?

an excellent debate...

and everyone ..well nearly , worth reading.

and there is nothing to add to it really...

apart from ...sometimes when deals are done a fax perhaps with

the contract(s) enc are enough to do the job..i dont really know,

but, having been in sales longer than i care to mention nothing

beats face to face when attempting to close a deal ........

perhaps Nigel needs to do what his dad and peter t used to do,go

to the players house and knock on the door , say heyup ...let

me tell you what our plans are and,if your as good as we/and you

think you are, how much you could earn if you knock us 20 goals in

next season .................

player....where do i sign ?....oh,the good ol'days ay.......:p

Archived