Would you be happy if....

sage

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this window ends with the following, which appears to be possible.

In

Davies £350k

Sammon £500k

Ayala Loan

Waghorn Loan

Out

Commons £300k

Martin Loan

Croft Loan

Relatively, yes.

We only need a few adjustments, we need to get a bit of stability at the club (Ironic with loans, yes) but we don't need a whole revamp.

The players are there, we showed what we could do earlier in the season, just need that belief again.

I genuinely feel that Commons leaving will benefit the rest of the team.

More than happy with that. I am still suspicious of loans though, unless they are with a view to buy. That said we would have to fork out quite a bit for either of those 2 at the minute.

Anyone know what is happening with Varney? Kind of hoped he would be going this window

If this window ends with the following, which appears to be possible.

In

Davies £350k

Sammon £500k

Ayala Loan

Waghorn Loan

Out

Commons £300k

Martin Loan

Croft Loan

Emphasis on the word 'IF' in the title. Waghorn looks increasingly likely to be staying at Leicester and fight for his place. Ayala is decent if we get him. Sammon is alright but its whether we get him and if anyone else outbids us. Davies however, I think will turn out to be a good signing. Nice one Clough IMO :)

Relatively, yes.

We only need a few adjustments, we need to get a bit of stability at the club (Ironic with loans, yes) but we don't need a whole revamp.

The players are there, we showed what we could do earlier in the season, just need that belief again.

I genuinely feel that Commons leaving will benefit the rest of the team.

What stability do loans bring?

If that happened, and it's a big if, then I think most would be happy. We needed to strengthen this window even without losing anyone, we've lost our top score and arguably most creative player so we need to strengthen more now than ever. If we got those 4 in, even if two are loans (which I don't see a major issue with as long as they are there to supplement rather than as the core of the team) then it'll be a good window (provided they turn out to be good players!)

I've just watched both the Glick and Clough interviews on Rams Player, I'd be very surprised to see us bring in any more permanent signings. Glick made it clear that Nigel has the money to spend if he so wishes, Nigel on the other hand said he would like Waghorn in on loan, (no mention of Ayala) but seemed happy with what he has and will wait until the summer rather than paying over the odds now.

If we don't get Waghorn in I would guess he would try elsewhere in the emergency loan window, Glick also made a good point for those who are going to say loans grrrrr, QPR who are top have 3 loan players in, Cardiff in 2nd have 6 and we have just the 1.

I can understand not wanting to pay over the odds but my fear is we lack enough quality now to be sure we'll be ok. If you look through the team in terms of quality I think there's two or three who are quality players, a lot of players who have the potential to be quality players and I like the buying of young players who can potentially make the step up but we haven't got enough quality now. I don't see where the goals will come from or who will create them.

The aversion to loans, citing the lack of stability and inability to build for the future, is a bit rich coming when it comes from those who want to fire the manager after every bad game. The current average tenure of a manager in the football league is slightly less than a season and a half, most optimum time to sell a player on a three year contract in the summer break is in the Jan transfer window of his second season due to the risk of losing him via a Bosman. I have not seen any stats on the average tenure of players in the modern game, but the evidence we can all see it is much shorter than it was even five years ago and miniscule compared to 10-15 years before that. People still hanker back to the good old days when loans were to cover injuries and the like for a few weeks. Now days almost every club getting promoted from the Championship has a good scattering of loans, many established Premier clubs are also relying on loans. Get over it; it is the way football works regardless of if you like it or not. Players will play for, and move to wherever they can, to maximise their financial rewards, and that includes loans as you don't get many bonuses if you are not playing at your home club, and consequently player are staying in one place for less time. Sadly, post Bosman etc. the more a player moves the more money they, and their advisors, will make over their career. Nigel knows that the way to get higher quality players into Derby, or any club, given a Championship budget is to utilise loans.

I've just watched both the Glick and Clough interviews on Rams Player, I'd be very surprised to see us bring in any more permanent signings. Glick made it clear that Nigel has the money to spend if he so wishes, Nigel on the other hand said he would like Waghorn in on loan, (no mention of Ayala) but seemed happy with what he has and will wait until the summer rather than paying over the odds now.

If we don't get Waghorn in I would guess he would try elsewhere in the emergency loan window, Glick also made a good point for those who are going to say loans grrrrr, QPR who are top have 3 loan players in, Cardiff in 2nd have 6 and we have just the 1.

Reading between the lines (dangerous I know) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sammon deal was further along than being let on. Their manager has been quoted as saying that he has ensured that he wouldn't be going anywhere before today but after that he didn't know. He then said that he hoped that someone would make a move sooner rather than later due to the window closing and also said he had players in mid if he did go. That coupled with reports Clough is watching him again today kind of suggests there is a good chance of things progessing.......

Nigel knows that the way to get higher quality players into Derby, or any club, given a Championship budget is to utilise loans.

But who of any real quality have we bought in on loan? You may say Beuno - but 3 goals in 18/19 games doesn't shout quality to me.

Archived