Ice hockey

p.shilton

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still do judging by the chants! It was enjoyable, all a bit tongue in cheek. The do play the national anthem at the beginning though (I'm sure all the Canadians and Yanks on the ice loved that) and you can drink in the stands too - which didn't help me understand the rules!

Thanks, it doesn't say that drinking 2 pints before the game, and 2 more during each period is not conducive to understanding the game anywhere though. Thinking about it, maybe Ice hockey is rubbish and I'm just a fan of drinking....maybe I shall experiment some more...

Fantastic sport!!! I moved to Sweden 2 years ago and I had never watched Ice Hockey before but its a big sport here so I gave it a chance and I absolutely love the game now. I even have to go as far as to say at this point in time im prob as into the hockey as I am football which isnt hard as there isnt much to shout about football wise at the mo and my hockey team are current champions and sitting top again this time around. Very fast paced, very physical sport with plenty of goals and action. Keep going is my advice, the standard in england isnt very high but youll get hooked after a while.

It is great..

When I was living in Vancouver last year I got to around 4 Canucks games and it was brilliant.. Hockey to Canadians is like football to England. No.1 sport by a country mile, everyone at work, the pubs, public transport tc. talk about it..

One thing that is different though is obviously (I'm talking NHL here) the wage cap and drafting system allows teams to fluctuate and anyone can win the Stanley Cup.. I guess it's similar in Europe? Anyhow, it means there are no glory supporters, your from a city, you go for that cities team.. I'd be suprised if more than 1% of the population of Vancouver (hockey fans) follow another team other than the canucks.

But Hockey is as close to football as any other sport.. It's basically like 5 a side, except it's on ice and physical contact, including fighting, is allowed to an extent.. Obviously removing of the boot in order to stab someone with your blade is prohibited.. But it's so easy IMO for football fans to get into hockey once you learn the rules..

I will definitely go again, the only problem is rooting for a team from Nottingham! It was worse on Saturday though- been at the Forest match and a few hours later watching another Notts team! I did enjoy ity though and I kinda got a handle on the rules towards the end. I am not really into sports other than football but I can see me being a fan!

I wont comment as I have no interest in yank sports.

Its actually a sport that was invented by british military troops in canada so its not a yank sport unless you think Canadians or Brits are yanks.

And you just have commented.

Archived