Barker signs new three and half year deal

Day

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that Green already has signed his new contract?

I can remember Gibson asking Clough a while back when the Commons saga first started. Clough said that Green has already been resigned.

I'll have a root around and try and find it. :)

Shaun Barker has committed his long-term future to Derby County by signing a new contract with the Rams.

The defensive linchpin has penned an extension to his existing deal which will keep him at Pride Park until the summer of 2014.

He told dcfc.co.uk: "I'm delighted to commit my future to Derby County and I'm really excited about what the future holds.

"We've made great progress this season and I'm confident we can build on that during the second half of the campaign and beyond.

"I've had a great year and a half here and I'm delighted the club sees me as a big part of their plans moving forwards.

"The club is run fantastically well from top to bottom, we have a great manager, great players and great fans, so it was a no-brainer for me to put pen-to-paper."

The 28-year-old centre-back joined Derby in the summer of 2009 from then-Championship rivals Blackpool and he made 37 appearances for Nigel Clough's side last season.

Barker quickly established himself as a firm favourite with the Pride Park faithful for his laudable displays at the heart of the defence and he was voted the Jack Stamps Trophy winner by the Derby County supporters in overwhelming fashion.

As well as being a key performer at the back, he was also a threat going forwards and his five goals helped Derby achieve a mid-table finish.

Nottingham-born Barker has made 21 appearances this time around for Derby, and has maintained a high level of consistency in a strong start to the campaign.

He has worn the captain's armband on various occasions, and Clough sees him as a pivotal member of his squad.

Clough told dcfc.co.uk: "We're delighted Shaun has committed his future to Derby County by signing this new contract.

"He has been one of our most consistent performers over the last year, and he is just the type of character we want at the football club.

"He is a good, honest professional who has been a real example to the rest of our players with how he conducts himself on and off the pitch.

"It is great news for everyone he has agreed to remain part of our future, I am sure the fans are really excited about this news.

"We want to keep hold of our best players, and to have Shaun's signature on his contract so soon after we started talking is a real feather in our cap."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2244050,00.html

Heres a report on BBC from March this year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/8584933.stm

about half way down Glick says this

"There are some great characters who we have just signed extensions with - players like Stephen Pearson, Paul Green, Dean Leacock"

Hidden away but looks like he extended so is with us until at least June 2012

the radio interview linked in this article is also one where Glick made the laughable claim that we could be challenging for the play-off's this season. Obvioulsy showing his, and the general American, lack of understanfing for football and the Championship.

Laughable with us sitting 7th in the league isn't it ;)

the radio interview linked in this article is also one where Glick made the laughable claim that we could be challenging for the play-off's this season. Obvioulsy showing his, and the general American, lack of understanfing for football and the Championship.

if we're challenging for the play-offs after 21 games, there's no reason why we can't be challenging after 46 games. If you refuse to accept there's a even a chance of it happening then maybe its your understanding of football that needs to be looked at

Dav I thought you have predicted us to finish 4th or 5th??!!?? Something make you change your mind???

I predicted 5th.

I was trying to be sarcastic, and pointing out that at the time many were calling Glick stupid and idiotic.

Yes a few good results can get you up the table a few places, we climbed 17 places on the back of this run

D W W D W W L W W W L W a bit more than a few good results

and have dropped three places following 3 losses on the bounce.

Yes we need a win or we risk dropping down to 14th, but I believe we are capable of winning our next 2 home games and be back in the middle of the play-off spots.

Not really, two months ago we were third from bottom and a few calling for Clough to be removed, this demonstrates a few games on a good run and everyone gets carried away.

If you're not in the bottom 8 in the NPCL, you are a promotion contender. We are 7th. The play-offs are achievable.

If you're not in the bottom 8 in the NPCL, you are a promotion contender. We are 7th. The play-offs are achievable.

The point is that Glick said we could be in with a chance of the play offs and this was referred to as a general lack of understanding of our game. My observation is that a few poor results over the Christmas period could see us back mid, or lower, in the table.

I agree with you and with Tom Glick, that being that we could be in with a play off chance. To say someone fails to understand the game because they state this, as was stated, shows that they possibly haven't looked at how tight the table is:)

Archived